The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slowing the pulse down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1017 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Can the pulse be checked anywhere on the body? I.e. on the throat, on the chest right over the heart? In that case I´m interested to know where to buy the publication you are talking about.

Mikael

Quote:
On 2002-04-17 06:08, Ramsay wrote:
As I said in my previous post a workable (i use it) method f slowing your pulse appears in the Compleat Invocation on page 312.

It really does slow the pulse down.

Luke.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
It could be checked in the throat and the arm. It also briefly talks about how to appear to stop your heart - something I doubt it's effectiveness.

But it does actually stop/slow the pulse in yuor arm.

Luke. Smile
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1017 Posts

And do you know where this publication is available?

Mikael
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hello Again Mikael, Sorry it took me so long to respond.

You asked why I am uncomfortable with Self-Hypnosis etc. It is becuase it is, or approaches, messing with various spirits which is warned against in the Bible.

WHen I did those things in the past, (self hypno, etc.) I did not know what the Bible said on teh subject, and frankly - even if I had known - I would not have cared.

Since that time, I have learned that the Bible is God's Word. And God is God, and I am not!

So I dont mess with things that are clearly forbidden in the Bible. King Saul consulted teh Witch of Endor, and it cost him a Kingdom.

That is my reason. I do my best to live according to God's Word.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1017 Posts

BroDavid, exactly what does the bible say that has made you believe hypnotism messes with spirits? In my knowldge hypnotism only uses very deep relaxation of both the body and the mind, and the hypnotist doesn´t mention spirits when he talks to the subject, or anything that can be interpreted as having anything to do with spirits.

Mikael

Quote:
On 2002-05-09 21:36, BroDavid wrote:
Hello Again Mikael, Sorry it took me so long to respond.

You asked why I am uncomfortable with Self-Hypnosis etc. It is becuase it is, or approaches, messing with various spirits which is warned against in the Bible.

WHen I did those things in the past, (self hypno, etc.) I did not know what the Bible said on teh subject, and frankly - even if I had known - I would not have cared.

Since that time, I have learned that the Bible is God's Word. And God is God, and I am not!

So I dont mess with things that are clearly forbidden in the Bible. King Saul consulted teh Witch of Endor, and it cost him a Kingdom.

That is my reason. I do my best to live according to God's Word.

BroDavid
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Obviously, I don't mean to step on anybodys faith here, but I've been intensively studying clinical hypnosis for professional purposes and have not found any mention by any person or in any book of hypnosis having anything at all to do with 'spirits'.

Hypnosis is a perfectly natural state of mind, something that EVERYBODY enters frequently (though lightly) whenever you daydream, whenever you are engrossed in a movie. You pass through the hypnotic state whenever you pass into sleep and again before you fully awaken (though hypnosis itself, of course, is NOT sleep).

It's just a state where a participant allows themself to become highly physically and mentally relaxed, and open to helpful and beneficial suggestions. Any other type of suggestions made will just be ignored or rejected.

Sorry to rabbit on, but I quite like to evangelise on the subject because of all the disinformational rubbish that's been spouted about hypnosis in bad B movies and the media.
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
863 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I don't know about hypnosis and "spirits", but I do know this...as a Christian, I am always under the Holy Spirit's influence. I am never to give control of any part of my body to someone other than Him, even for "helpful and beneficial suggestions." I know that hypnosis is not putting yourself 'totally' in someone else's control, but it is enough control by them to warrant being wrong. If you are not a Christian, this will be hard to understand, but this is what I believe.
- Jeff
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Okay, I'm going to tip the secret of hypnosis...

ALL hypnosis is SELF-hypnosis !!!

When someone else 'hypnotises' you (hetero-hypnosis), all they're actually doing is allowing you to guide yourself into the state.

Anyway, I do understand your concern of apparently being partially under another's control, even if voluntarily so. I would say, however, that you're no more in someone else's control that if you visited your doctor and he prescribed you some pills. You can still choose whether to take them or not! And if you've ever been a passenger in a motor car, or travelled by train (something rather perilous in the UK at the moment), you're putting yourself at least partially in the control of someone else, much more so than hypnosis ever would.

It would be a neat trick to go though life completely independently.
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
863 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hi Bear,

I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was not advocating that we can go through life without help or advice...no!

However, I must disagree with you...there is a difference between riding a train or going to the doctor and being hypnotized. When I ride a train, whatever the conductor does will have an important effect on my life, but he is not directly trying to suggest things for me myself to do. Also, when I visit the doctor, he suggests things to better my health, but not by inducing me into a trance where I have less control over my body than normal. Like I said, I don't expect everyone to understand my position, but this is where I stand. I hope I have explained it clearly. Smile Thanks for taking the time to read this.
- Jeff
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Jeff, I think I'm gaining a better understanding of where you're coming from now, and thanks for clarifying it for me.

I would just like to make one final point, and that is one of a assurance that under hypnosis the person is always in complete control of both mind and body, and can choose to 'snap out of it' any time they like. Most of the time though, people don't, because it can actually be quite enjoyable!

And on that note, I'll sign-off. You may have concluded that this is a subject about which I am passionate, and you would be right. It's just that there has been so much dis-information about the subject over the years that somebody has to fight the opposite corner! And thanks for putting up with my ramblings.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3645 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Scientific American published a very interesting article on the most recent scientific theories regarding hypnosis in its July 2001 issue:

"The Truth and the Hype of Hypnosis"

http://www.sciam.com/2001/0701issue/0701nash.html
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Thanks for that, Philemon. It's a good article, and from a respected journal too.

The most important conclusion (other than it's real) is that, for clinical use, it's meant as complementary to other medical care, not as an alternative.
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
I have been messing around recently with making my pulse appear to have slowed - here's how I do it...

First, use your favorite technique of stopping the pulse in your wrist to get rid of your real pulse.
I keep my hand in a very loose fist with the tip of my middle finger touching the ball of my thumb just to the side of the 'life line'. By gently pressing the middle finger against the ball of your thumb (the finger moves less than 1mm), you create something that feels a lot like a weak pulse in your wrist. Ok, it won't fool anyone with any medical training, but most people will accept it.

Hope this helps!
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Don't try the old method of slowing the pulse down. It can clot the blood.

From,
Cornelius. Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-03-01 17:57, Megatherion wrote:
Hi,

You don't have to fake it. Use the breathing techniques used in meditation and martial arts.

There is real magic, the illusion is that we think everything is a trick.

Yours faithfully

:devilish: Dan Smile

You keep saying things like this and I'm going to start liking you... Smile

Years ago I studied with a genuine Occultist named Don Blythe who just happened to be one of the many old Carnies I worked with (not to drop names but... I was part of the Ward Hall "Circus Unique" and "Wondercade" teams... John Meah, Bill Fitch... the whole crew!) Anywho... Don was known for stopping his heart, doing the paulse thing, etc. He taught me a few of his techniques with the understanding that the paulse, heart, etc. are all muscles and as such, can be trained & conditioned

The trick, aside from the aforementioned breathing techniques common to Yoga & Martial Arts, is a mantra --a rythm that is established either via a chant, drum or whathaveyou... in the simplest of terms, you do associative training of each muscle group you want to affect, getting the heart/paulse to beat at your will, to the cadence of said mantra...

After several years of doing this you will learn how to slow and control the rate of each muscle group by using the mantra and "chanting" it as slow or fast as is needed... Like the old Hypnosis suspension thing with the girl in the window, Don would simulate death for weeks at a time as a promo to his own side show draws each October, in Hollywood (The Ram Center on Wilcox @ Hollywood Blvd. a.k.a. Pan Pipes).

This, along with a version of Stigmata allowed him to run a nice little Pagan fellowship for years... Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
My father was an armed forces marksman. He was trained to slow his heart-rate in order to take the shot when looking down a scope.
Djin
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Djin
I've never slowed mine down enough to thrill a crowd on the midway, but I have an almost funny anecdote of pulse slowing.
I had to take a medical exam right after a particularly ugly exchange with my wife. Sparing you the irrelevant dirty laundry, if you've been married you can imagine tremendous stress that leaves one's hands shaking with anger. Anyway I had about 15 minutes before walking into the exam room. I sat in my car and practiced breathing techniques I learned from a couple decades of martial arts study. I got it down enough that after standing up and walking in I was still under 60bpm. Not extraordinary in itself, but in context it was a huge reduction.

In the time I studied and practiced, I saw and experienced some remarkable and esoteric things. I have no doubt that feats much greater than slow heart rates (like 30 or 20bpm) are well within reach. Some of the classic fakir routines are effects, others are real feats of human performance. Pursuits like QuiGong and Yoga are far deeper than a bit of fitness and stress relief.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Slowing the pulse down (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL