The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2008-04-12 07:04, L Trunk wrote:
Baffle them with bull.

Indeed! When I'm asked how I did the ion in the bottle trick, I go on talking about how glass is actually a liquid and you just need to momentarily increase the liquidity of it or a moment.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 11:42, mndude wrote:
Quote:
Baffle them with bull.

Indeed! When I'm asked how I did the ion in the bottle trick, I go on talking about how glass is actually a liquid and you just need to momentarily increase the liquidity of it or a moment.

Whoops, that was coin
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2010-09-03 18:31, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-11 00:57, edlandau wrote:
I used to be really bad... girlfriends... family... etc. all used to want to know how tricks are done. I was soft.

Then I met a magician. I knew that if I was going to learn any more tricks, I was going to have to learn how to keep my mouth shut.

I find it hard to do so without offending my best friends... family etc. My excuse: I want this magician I met to respect me (so maybe he can teach me)... and that seems to work. But it is hard.

Hahaha! This is wonderful!

Any suggestions on other techniques to get out of it?

-Ed

I usually tell them I'm sworn to secrecy, (Which I am) and I also explain to them very FRANKLY the truth that if they knew the secret they would be dissapointed and the magic and the wonder would be lost.

I mean it. I am really honest with people about that.

After all, I'm a magician, so I'm supposed to be honest right? Smile
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 11:42, mndude wrote:
Quote:
Baffle them with bull.

Like this explanation lol
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Like this explanation lol
JonesingForTruth
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of JonesingForTruth
Quote:
I won't tell you how I did that, but I'll tell you the biggest secret in all of magic... would you like to know it?
Sure...
(whispered)Whatever magic secret you want to know, it's in a book somewhere...
All you have to do is find the book...

This has gotta be my favorite of all time! Smile
JonesingForTruth
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of JonesingForTruth
I really love the ones that inspire them to research... Smile I actually had a magician who was visiting at a magic store have me buy a cheap little packet trick when I was a kid, and then show how utterly simple it was and how much less cool after the fact... then he said, Now do you want to keep finding out things like this... or do you want to enjoy the magic. Smile When I said I wanted to keep finding out the tricks, so I could learn to do them, then he said, "Then you're not a spectator anymore... you've got a long road ahead of you... Welcome aboard" Then told me to work with the trick till I was good enough to fool people, and then buy another...

I'm still not sure if I've forgiven him Smile
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
In my introductory remarks, I use an idea that I got from Rene Lavand. I tell my audience that I come here tonight, not just to entertain you, but to rekindle your inborn sense of wonder. I want to show you something truly amazing ... something you will never forget. Then, in my closing remarks, I come back to that idea saying, "Tonight I came here to rekindle your inborn sense of wonder. Now it is your turn to keep that flame burning brightly deep within ... so that you may once again see, as clearly as every child, the sheer wonder of it all." Later if anyone persists in asking me how something was done, I just shake my head with a disappointed expression, saying "After all our hard work to rekindle your sense of wonder, you want me to throw a pail of cold water on it now? I would never do something like that to a friend like you." Kind of makes them feel a little guilty for even asking, but they usually get the point and don't persist after that.

P.S. I also like that response about it being in a book somewhere. Got to remember that one, just in case.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
Quote:
(24) I signed a contract with the devil.

As a Christian magician, I tell the children I signed a contract with God. The contract obliges me to keep the way the tricks are done a secret for now, but if they are good little boys and girls, when they are older I may introduce them to the world of magic...
louisk
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of louisk
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 20:52, KMFrye wrote:
I just tell them "It was an illusion. And you'd be disappointed if I spoilt it for you..."
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I say that I am a beginner trying to build a reputation, and do they [the spectator] want me to be kicked out of the magic community BEFORE I EVEN GET IN? By making it humorous while also guilting them a little, this line has worked well.

In other cases, I start by saying that many of my effects are simply based on psychology (I do do mentalism), and I give them a little talk about body language, subliminal suggestion, conversational hypnosis, muscle reading, etc. Then, if need be, I proceed to perform a normal mind reading effect, but sell it as body language reading ("Look, you are drawing an "O" with your body"; "The way you stand is telegraphing an "I" to me", "The way you're sitting with your arms crossed, it looks somewhat defensive, I think you chose the porcupine", etc). This offers me the chance to perform EXTRA tricks, and seems to satisfy people; they get the impression they "learned" the trick, while of course they did not, and nothing of the magic aura is lost. It also makes the experience more acceptable and enjoyable for cultured people. I managed to convince ACADEMICS that indeed I do have quasi-supernatural powers thanks to my keen understanding of human behavior (which, of course, is bull).
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I say that I am a beginner trying to build a reputation, and do they [the spectator] want me to be kicked out of the magic community BEFORE I EVEN GET IN? By making it humorous while also guilting them a little, this line has worked well.

In other cases, I start by saying that many of my effects are simply based on psychology (I do do mentalism), and I give them a little talk about body language, subliminal suggestion, conversational hypnosis, muscle reading, etc. Then, if need be, I proceed to perform a normal mind reading effect, but sell it as body language reading ("Look, you are drawing an "O" with your body"; "The way you stand is telegraphing an "I" to me", "The way you're sitting with your arms crossed, it looks somewhat defensive, I think you chose the porcupine", etc). This offers me the chance to perform EXTRA tricks, and seems to satisfy people; they get the impression they "learned" the trick, while of course they did not, and nothing of the magic aura is lost. It also makes the experience more acceptable and enjoyable for cultured people. I managed to convince ACADEMICS that indeed I do have quasi-supernatural powers thanks to my keen understanding of human behavior (which, of course, is bull).
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I don't know if I have anything to add but this thread is brilliant and I thank all the contributors. The "It is in a vook" line is freaking brilliant!
Jinx18
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Jinx18
Yes great thread. When I was very new I made the mistake of telling some basic tricks. The look of disappointment on there face was enough to stop doing that and these suggestions are great.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Very useful thread Smile
U can reply them by doing any trick where the spectator do all the work on it without you touch anything and surprisingly he will do the magic by himself. Pretend like you don't know how it is done and say him ( It is amazing, how you did it ?) .
Many of self working tricks can make your spectator looks like a magician.
For family members and friends be honest and say them ( If I told you how it is done will be no magic at all and all my weeks of practicing will rendered to waste of time).
Or you can do magic with confusing series of slights and teach them after difficult methods for what it looks like same slights in a boring manner like a real bad teacher without exposing the real work so they will feel bored,sleepy and they will never ask you again Smile Bad teachers always use big ambiguous terms and names which are unknown for students and puzzle them more because they don't know what he talks about:)
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
Russ P.
View Profile
New user
Southern Indiana
32 Posts

Profile of Russ P.
I give a horrible stupid explanation that even comic book writers would say is to far fetched. Something so obviously fake that it can't be that.

An example:

I was levitating a ring for my coworkers and everyone of them asked me how it was done after. I responded "It has to do with the centrifugal force of the earth's spin in relation to something above us (we were inside) that has to weigh at least three hundred thousand pounds for it to have enough gravitational pull to actually pull the ring towards it a bit."

Everyone got a giggle out of it's absurdity and it was clear that I wasn't interested in telling.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Recently, I have been reading the book "Scripting Magic" by Pete McCabe. He takes an interesting position on this question.

The most typical answers are:
"Very well, thank you." or
"Can you keep a secret?.. So can I."

The question is.. did these responses bring you closer to your audience or further apart?
He suggests these might be the worst answers ever! you might as well just say to them "Go *#&@ yourself."

The reason is: Your objective is to entertain, not to come across as a pompous ***.

He suggests other responses (some of which have been noted in this thread):

"I practice a lot."
"Did you like that? .. Let me show you something else I think you'll like."
"My grandfather taught me that when I was ten years old."
"I practice a lot.. my shrink says it's good for me to keep my hands busy."

These are examples of responses that might bring you closer to your audience. Whether it's humorous, endearing, or otherwise, try to think of your own responses that might bring you closer to your audience instead of driving a wedge between you.

All the best,

KJ
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
The only apt answer I give is "U enjoy Classical music or dance when you know more about it. For that matter any art is enjoyable if your knowledge of the same is more, but for MAGIC. Magic is the only art that you enjoy the most when you know the least about it"
Best Wishes, Raj.
n.carlson1987
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania currently living in Hawaii
1 Post

Profile of n.carlson1987
I know this post is old, but I still wanted to reply. I really love the idea of getting them interested in magic, make them do the research and practice tricks, rather than just seeing how it is done. Also depending on the trick I will say I'll show you how it is done, but do a different trick. Linking rubber bands, to crazy mans handcuffs, both entail rubber bands, but two completely different methods. If I am doing a card to pocket, Ill do it again show them me taking a card to my pocket, it being the wrong card then produce it else where. I also love the classic response of "Very Well".
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Just say no until it bores them out
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » How is it done? C'mon... Tell Me!!! (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL