The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help making daggers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
I am looking to make 11 daggers for my head chest... Any ideas how?
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have made multiple identical aluminum pieces by rough-cutting them to size and shape, stacking and attaching them with double-sided tape, and then sanding them to shape on belt and drum sanders. Of course, this wouldn't work with steel.

Making the handles might be as simple as cutting a wooden closet rod (or other large-diamete dowel) to identical lengths, splitting them along the center, attaching them to the hilts of the "blades", and covering them with colored electrical tape or other adhesive-type covering such as Tuff-Cote.

Keep us posted...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I suppose it depends on what types of daggers you want. What's the presentation and stage persona like? I would just use an entire set of kitchen knives, but that might not fit your presentation. There are a number of sites that have pre-made daggers that look great! Letter openers can also be used.

The cheapest way would be to cut some flat stock to the right shape and make handles out of duct tape, but I know that I wouldn't be happy with something like that.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

At first I was gonna use these big magic wands to shove in the box... But how threatening are magic wands...LOL
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I made a lot of small swords for a sword box from 1/8" strip steel, using a chop saw with a grinder blade to cut the rough shape, and an angle grinder for the final shaping. Although I could only do one at a time, it was fairly quick work to make enough to fill the sword box.

I did use black tape for the handles, but another simple solution would be to cut the handles from 1/4" hardwood, stack them up and bolt them together through two holes (got a drill press handy?) then shape them on a sander. These holes then become the attachment points for the blade's tang.

You'll probably want to use thinner and lighter materials for daggers, and could therefore get away with using a Dremel instead of an angle grinder.

Or just use a bench sander to sharpen the end of dowel rods, and paint them silver. Now, instead of wands, you've got spikes.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

I was thinking of using those shiskabob spikes...but they are too thin...visually. The only tool I do have is a drill press...lol I would love to make small swords for the box. I was thinking about decorating the outside of the box like it was steel. With rivets and such... now if I do that...spike would be a good fit
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 15:25, magicalmischief wrote:
At first I was gonna use these big magic wands to shove in the box... But how threatening are magic wands...LOL

Oh I dunno! A poke in the eye with a stick?

I think for a PC presentation that wands would be all right.

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
How does someone end up with a drill press, but no other tools? I only got my drill press after the table saw, chop saw, random orbital sander, circular saw, pipe clamps, etc...

Skewers aren't needed. Go out and get some 1/4" or 1/2" dowel and chop it to 12" lengths. Use some wooden cabinet knobs on the end, painted black (maybe with a tassel glued to the end.)

You could cut thin gauge steel down with a hacksaw and use JB weld to affix it to the outside of the box. But believe me, you'll probably want to pick up a Dremel if you'll be working with metal; it's great for polishing, cutting, grinding, and drilling, and it'll cost you only around $100. (Plus a bit extra for the safety goggles and face shield. They're worth the investment.)

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-04-17 23:18, EsnRedshirt wrote:
How does someone end up with a drill press, but no other tools? I only got my drill press after the table saw, chop saw, random orbital sander, circular saw, pipe clamps, etc...

My housemate had the drill press. I do have a cordless drill =)
I rely on the Home Depot to cut my wood to size!
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I would aluminum flat stock from Home depo,
find the width and thickness you need
Cut to length cut or grind a curve at end
Cut or grind the other end to narrow it down for the tang to fit into the handle
You can make your handle from wood

You can polish the aluminum to a mirror finish, and then clear lacquer it
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Alan had the right answer: it depends on what the box looks like and what your presentation is. A "dagger" can be anything in the world, from a prison-made shiv to a main gauche, to a dirk, to a chef's knife, to a Klingon weapon, and to lots of other things. You really want to define what the dagger is before you figure out how to build it. Look on line or go to the library and look up edged weapons. Remember that the audience will see them for what they really are and not for what you want them to look like.

On the other hand, a head chest doesn't need daggers. Again, it all depends on the presentation. The magic wands could work, and so could the skewers. So could long thin paintbrushes (used for oil painting) and oil dipsticks.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
George, you know waaaayyyy too much about weapons...

;)
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Was in walmart today and discovered this thing called a saddle threshold. Looks like something placed under a door. Anyway it was silver, 3'x2", easy to cut and only $3. So I purchased 3 of them...now my swords are done and all that's left is to paint the outside of the box, and put on my doors and *Poof* my head chest for less than 80 bucks! Whoopie

I will post pictures upon its completion... complete with my headless daughter!
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I saw some real knives, about 10 inches long, black plastic handles, stainless steel blades at the dollar store. You could just dull the sharp edge and use them and they only cost a $1 each.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Lots of great ideas here guys! You don't have to be elaborate to be good...all the "Marts" and "Depots" are the best place to go. If any of you have Illusion System Book # 1 (Osborne), there are several great ideas for weapon making in the chapter entitled "Boxes, Legs, Swords & Blades." Paul included some plans for good looking handles as well.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
One of these days I'd like to get around to making a head chest using "brite wire spikes" (aka giant nails) from the industrial section of the hardware store... ah well, so many projects, so little time....
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Every sword I've used in a show has been made of wood.

Cut a yardstick, paint it with metallic paint, and add a handle. TaDa!
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I have the Mak Magic version head chest, "Murder Inc." The swords are old and they really don't look very nice. I bought the illusion used but want to relace the swords. I am going to look at walmart for the item that MagicalMischief mentioned.

Thanks
Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help making daggers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL