The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making your own sponge banana's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Hi, I bought a set of sponge banana's off of Ebay recently that couldn't fool a baby. I saw The Wong set, and they are pretty realistic looking, but I don't want to pay $25 for a set of two sponge banana's. I decided to try and make my own. I sculpted my banana out of oil based clay and made it as photo realistic as possible. I even added imperfections in the stem and base of the banana. It turned out to be a medium sized banana at around 8-9". I casted a mold of it out of UltraCAL 30 plaster and have a perfect two part mold for the banana. I tried to cast it out of self-skinning foam rubber but it came out not very compressionable, not like sponge balls. Does anyone know of where I can get a good sponge mixture for the banana?

Thanks.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Not sure about a sponge mixture, but Dan Garrett in Atlanta, GA (USA) has some of the best sponge bananas around. You might touch base with him.

http://members.aol.com/dangarrett/index.html

Mark.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've never heard of a "home-molding process" for foam rubber. Reading this article would tend to make me want to pay $25 bucks:

Making Foam Rubber
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Foam rubber is very simple to make/use. You buy it in a two part kit similar to epoxy. Mix A & B together and it expands to fill the mold. It cool dries so when it's ready, you de-mold it and it's ready to be airbrushed. It picks up very minute details and creates a very realistic prop. Unfortunately, like I said, the foam rubber that I used didn't yield a very compressionable prop.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Try skinning it in latex.. and then finding a 2lb soft foam. BJB makes a couple of very soft foams..

Foam like sponge balls is VERY hard to come by.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Try, http://www.smooth-on.com the foam I think you will need, is "FlexFoam-it! III". FlexFoam-it! III is not as compressionable as supersoft but I think it is close to regular sponge balls.

They will send you samples if you ask.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I made carrots in sponge. As a puppeteer we made a lot of puppets in sponge. The technique : you cut the sponge so you have the form roughly. Then you hold it under the tap and make it as wet as possible and immediately put it in the freezer. Once frozen you take it out and with a coarse sandpaper you sand of a bit untill it starts melting ( you'll notice what is possible ) and put it in the freezer again, take it out and sand, in...out etc until you have the form you want. Does not take as much time as it may sound here. Works very well. Do not sand to long in one time. Hope this helps. If you need to know more PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making your own sponge banana's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL