The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Ripley's Believe It or Not (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
basic_mystifier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of basic_mystifier
You have to keep in mind that the original Ripley's was from back in the day.
trickymagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trickymagic
Wow! I thought it was reliable as Guiness book of records...
Ezekiel Jump
-carpe diem-
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 11:52, Psychic Samurai wrote:
I will be performing at Ripley's Believe It or Not in St. Augustine on April the 18th. It is the original building that is seen on the TV show.
If you are in the area please stop by.
I will be part of a promotion there so I think that my Performance may be open to the public and possibly free. I will also be on the radio Smile

They will be giving away over $25,000.00 in loot that day ... FREE !!!!!

On the radio or online internet radio. No need to be there.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
sacerdote dpn bpsco
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of sacerdote dpn bpsco
Not is an option
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here's a link to the links ...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=15&4

Ripley's was a FANTASTIC place !!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Ripley did leave the loop hole of "or not" in his wording that leaves the decision to take the information to heart to the reader, but Guiness on the other hand in 100% bonified, real, and unquestionably legit.
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Paul, MN (Cathedral Hill)
104 Posts

Profile of StPaulMagician222
I really enjoyed my tour of the Ripley's on the wharf in San Francisco during my last visit. I only wish that it would have been just a bit longer or bigger. It certainly left me wanting more and thinking of how much fun the Curator must have giving his personal tours and how I need to place a visit on my life list to go to Belgium and see it all for myself.

Here in Saint Paul, MN we have a place called 'The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" that is now in it's permanent home at the New Science Museum building. It is interesting all by itself but even more fun when the Professor is on site and showing how many of these devices were used on the people going through the exhibit.

It seems the placebo effect has been in use for a very long time and I am continually amazed at what people will believe as truth. It certainly makes my job much easier.

k
"One can't believe in Impossible things" said Alice.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
-Thru the Looking Glass- L.E. Carol
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ripley's Believe It or Not book "Strikingly True" page 220. Smile I can vouch for it.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
A question for Mr. Higley
Mr. Higley, first off, a compliment, you really do look like Gepetto, one of my grandfatherly heroes when I was a child.
Now the question, there is a roadside attraction not too far from the New Mexico - Arizona border, near Dragoon, Arizona. It is called, The Thing. Is that one of your fabulous discoveries? They must have made millions of dollars with that exhibit because its been around for a lot of years and I always see the parking lot full of tourists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nizektEOGdc
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2010-04-04 13:12, StPaulMagician222 wrote:
I really enjoyed my tour of the Ripley's on the wharf in San Francisco during my last visit. I only wish that it would have been just a bit longer or bigger. It certainly left me wanting more and thinking of how much fun the Curator must have giving his personal tours and how I need to place a visit on my life list to go to Belgium and see it all for myself.

Here in Saint Paul, MN we have a place called 'The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" that is now in it's permanent home at the New Science Museum building. It is interesting all by itself but even more fun when the Professor is on site and showing how many of these devices were used on the people going through the exhibit.

It seems the placebo effect has been in use for a very long time and I am continually amazed at what people will believe as truth. It certainly makes my job much easier.

k

I had a radionic instrument that was built by J.G. Gallimore that I sold for $600 about ten years ago. Those "questionable" devices are still being used today. I'm on the U S Psycotronics Assn mailing lists and the have conventions every year and they have dealers who still sell the instruments. google JG Gallimore and the U S Psychotronics for more interesting information.
Do they work? Absolutely....... ;-)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Love urband legends, thanks!
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 15:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
Something about the great wall of China and a guy named Robert Wholler.

Don't know Wholler, but the Great Wall of China urban legend is that it is the only manmade object on earth than can be seen from the moon.

Totally false - It may be several thousand miles long, but it's only 15 to 20 feet wide! If you could see something 20 feet wide from the moon, you could see just about every man-made building on earth.

An author named Henry Norman published this bit of nonsense in a book in 1904, and it's been circulating as fact since then.
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
I might add that I wrote all the questions for a central Illinois "College Bowl"-type TV show, in which high school scholastic bowl teams competed. The show (which I also hosted, brag brag) ran for 25 years, and I wrote something like 50,000 questions in that quarter of a century.

And one thing I learned fast is that it is unbelievable how many "quiz" books have wrong information in them. And when a false "fact" appears in one book, it's picked up by other books and just keeps on keeping on. One author who wrote a lot of trivia books (Fred Worth) would put a few false facts in each book he wrote, so he could catch plagiarists.

I had to double-check and sometimes triple-check my questions and answers to be sure I wasn't perpetuating any myths.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 18:12, danhughes wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-27 15:15, stoneunhinged wrote:
Something about the great wall of China and a guy named Robert Wholler.

Don't know Wholler, but the Great Wall of China urban legend is that it is the only manmade object on earth than can be seen from the moon.

Totally false - It may be several thousand miles long, but it's only 15 to 20 feet wide! If you could see something 20 feet wide from the moon, you could see just about every man-made building on earth.

An author named Henry Norman published this bit of nonsense in a book in 1904, and it's been circulating as fact since then.

I'm man enough to admit that I was told this as a child and have never questioned it. Now it seems so obvious, and I feel more thna a little dumb! As for Ripley's - I loved the museum I visited, it's a must do regardless of how true everything is.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Internet killed the wonder of it all
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I think the intertnet has just created new wonders.
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
The connection between the great wall of China and Robert Whooler (not Wholler as mistakenly noted) - who was of Belgium origin and a bicycle manufacturer, by the way - is that Mr Whooler (also known as 'Coopertwix') was the first European to tricycle the Great Wall BOTH WAYS, in each direction. He did this in 1923-4. It took him 584 days.

'Coopertwix' is today the brand name of a make of European uni-cycle created by his 2nd daughter, Elizabeetha Whooler, to honour her dad; it was the nick-name she gave her father early in her life.

So, that's the story and it can be read about in Elizabeetha Whooler's (1967)autobiography - "Come Bicycling through Belgium with me". Faber, London.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Ripley made very strong efforts to stay with facts and truth at the beginning of his long career. I believe that his reputation was genuine. I can't speak for what they have done with it today!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2012, jugglestruck wrote:
I think the intertnet has just created new wonders.

I read it on the internet... It has to be true!
DaKine Oregon
View Profile
New user
Medford, Oregon
50 Posts

Profile of DaKine Oregon
Bruce Campbell, of Evil Dead and Burn Notice fame is hosting a reboot of Ripley's Believe It Or Not TV show starting tonight on The Travel Channel. (While he does live near me, we've never met and I have no connection with the show or network.)

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/ripl......t-or-not
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Ripley's Believe It or Not (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL