The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie tarot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Aymeric de Veyrac
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Aymeric de Veyrac
I just read the french version and all I can say is that it's really fantastic ! The atmosphere is right here around us, just reading thru the story. We would love to live that moment. Differents precise elements add credulity and are really entertaining !

Thanks for sharing this with us M. Curator !
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
The look and feel of this is beyond words to describe. One is often tempted to take it out and examine every feature in the package. The images are unlike anything else out there. The cards, box, cloth and certificate are so good that it attracts not just the eye but the urge to handle them as well. So much potential for superior effects and readings, lies within this rare collectible.
Sorceress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Sorceress
The Homicide Hauntique (page at Outlaw) is AMAZING to see, Mr Chelman! Really impressive.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I feel like I have to get to know these cards before it is respectful to use them.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I am at the mo making a zodiac chart for the carnie tarot, I don't own the tarot as of yet but I aged a piece of parchment and today I have gotten an engineering friend of mine to copy the drawing on the front of Cap Tales. He says I can have it back Sunday and I have some swizeet Witch and Carnie images to copy onto the chart.

I think you guys'll like it I'll post a picture or 2 in a few days.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
My wife thinks they are too scary. My 15 year old daughter thinks they are way cool. The Carnie Tarot obviously occupies just the right space!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
The first October approaches for the Carnie Tarot. No better deck for the coming Witching Hours.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
The accompanying certificate and booklet make this a chilling anomaly, beyond the images and aged look of the deck itself. Smile
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
Are there routines included with the marked deck of tarot cards? This would be the most important thing for my needs. Thanks.
Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
Yeah, instructions and routines would be very helpful. I will also look out for an appropriate wooden box to introduce the Carnie.
sleightofand
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
188 Posts

Profile of sleightofand
Wow, I gotta get me a set of these!! They look so good!
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
I just finished reading an excellent series of posts on Tarot reading, those with the Outlaw forum password, take a look. One of the best, cut-to-the-core summaries I have read yet.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Coney Island Witch
by Christian Chelman © 2008
Translated from the French by Carl Gibson

Inv.SAH/cw-72521
Gear used by a Carnie Psychic
Collected in 1972 at Coney Island, New York (USA)

Description:

Carnie tarot deck (major arcana only), Witches Almanach (an oracle notebook) dating from 1938, 22 tickets for various attractions (pre-WW II), personal photographs of the Curator and his family taken at Coney Island in 1972, silver half dollar, medallion (Illuminati?), miscellaneous post cards (1930-40), 1960 edition of Je parle Anglais (a book teaching French-speakers English), etc.
Five of the major arcana tarot cards have been placed in the pocket in the inside cover of the Witches Almanach, along with a photograph of a dwarf.

Curator's report

Back in July 1972 my parents took me on my first trip to the United States. I was 15 years old and two friends came along with us. As you can imagine, I was really looking forward to the. I was ready to go out and explore a new world – although the long flight via Iceland tempered my enthusiasm a bit.
And what a great chance for me to practice my schoolboy English!
Just imagine the adventures we had! I remember it like it was yesterday: almost driving into a bear crossing the road in the Appalachians, watching a shootout scene at the OK Corral in a tiny tourist village, visiting the Statue of Liberty, going up the Empire State Building, suffering from a bad case of indigestion fuelled by hot buttered popcorn in a drive-in movie theatre and much, much more.
But the strangest memories of all have to do with the time I spent Coney Island. Just recently, while looking through some old trunks up in my parents' attic, I came across some old snapshots.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves …

We had decided to spend the day at Coney Island, the world-famous amusement park in New York City. My parents kept a close eye on me, as they were convinced I'd get lost in the crowd. But for a 15-year-old that kind of parental attention can get a bit stifling. So I told them I wanted to buy a hot dog and arranged to meet them a bit later by the Wonder Wheel. After all, I was easy to spot in my bright white t-shirt prominently featuring the logo of my judo club. It was 2 p.m. and I was supposed to meet them half an hour later. No problem! I already loved the fairground atmosphere, with all the carnies more than keen to get their hands on what they considered THEIR money – even though it was still in MY pocket.

I was looking around for a hot dog stand when I saw her. She looked about 40 or so and exuded a charm from a bygone era. I felt like I had seen her before… maybe in a dream. She had her own garish little pitch, with a sign that read "Madame Zora: Psychic - Palm and Tarot Reading – 50¢". But her clothes were straight out of the 1930s and she wore loads of rings and a small pendant that seemed to represent a kind of esoteric eye inside a pyramid. Noticing my interest, she gestured for me to approach. She spoke to me in French, albeit with a strong Louisiana accent: "Vous n’êtes pas d’ici, ça se voit. Vous venez d’Europe, de France ou de Belgique…" [You're not from around here, that's for sure. You're from Europe – from France or Belgium.]
Bingo! I was obviously one of those tourists who could be spotted a mile away. What with the logo on my t-shirt, I almost expected her to say something like "I see you practising a sport, a martial art of some kind… "
I told her that I wasn't interested in fortune-telling and that I did not have much to spend. I was saving my money for my hot dog…
She gave me a sidelong smile. "50 cents is not that much and if what I tell you makes no sense, then you'll get your money back. Carnie's word of honour." I gave her a dollar and she gave me 50 cents change.
Taking my hand, she got quite a shock! Her expression immediately changed. "You're one of us! I felt it. Have a seat. My notebook told me this morning. You are travelling in a group of five people: 3 men and 2 women." She opened a cardboard box bearing a strange symbol containing a tarot deck wrapped in black lace. She mixed her cards and asked me to choose three. The Fool, the Magician and the Wheel of Fortune were placed on the table.
"You think your future lies in sports, but you are wrong. You will meet a Magician, a Collector of amazing objects that will have a far more profound impact on your life than you can possibly imagine. He will take you across the frontier that separates the earthly world from the world of the Prodigies. The Wheel of Fortune indicates the reversal of the values and realities in which you believe, but the veil of Illusions will soon rip apart. And the Wheel of Fortune itself will play a role in the near future!" The three cards indicated a maxim in the book accompanying the cards. "Tap into the Powers of your Imagination. Inspiration is close by. Connect to your spirit element. An Ivory charm wards off sadness."
"To show you that you are one of us, here's my talisman," she added, pulling off her medallion
. "Show it to the other carnies and they'll let you into all the attractions free of charge."

I can't really remember what happened next …

Two cops approached me and asked if I was Christian Chelman. My parents were frantic because I had been gone for five hours. I told them that was impossible; that I had only been away for 15 minutes or so …
The policemen didn't look like they believed me.
In my hands I was holding the Carnie Tarot, a highly oxidised medallion and the Almanach. I looked at my watch; it was 7.12 p.m.
When I told them what had happened, the younger policeman said that there was no Madame Zora at Coney Island, and that he had been working that beat for five years. Fortune-tellers were not held in very high esteem.
But the older policeman's face told a much different story. He said that there had once been a Madame Zora near the Luna Park back in the thirties or forties. On 21 August 1944, a raging fire destroyed half the Luna Park and her pitch had gone up in flames. Nobody had ever heard from her again. It was thought that she had gone down south. People said she was a first-class fortune-teller and they whispered that she must have made a pact with the devil himself to have those kinds of powers. But that was just Carnie talk… I showed them what I was holding, and they backed away. Legends don’t disappear overnight at Coney Island. Looking through my pockets I found loads of tickets to various attractions, but these were old tickets – from before World War II. I still had the half dollar that Madame Zora gave me, but now it was made of silver and dated 1932.

I was finally re-united with my anxious parents in front of the Wonder Wheel – or should that be the Wheel of Fortune?

Addenda:

The tarot and the Almanach have never lied. Sceptics like to joke about this, but their smiles soon fade. A bookmark has been placed at a certain page. When I ask them to draw three cards from the tarot deck, they choose the Moon, the Devil and the Wheel of Fortune. The bookmark itself has two old tickets stuck in it for two attractions: the Luna Park and the Devil’s Ride. Next to them is a post card of Coney Island with the Wonder Wheel on it …
Those who earn it are given a maxim. Some keep in mind, others don't. But the maxims always tell the truth.
While we were in New York my father contacted Stuart Kaplan, the famous collector of tarot decks. In fact, Kaplan asked me if I knew anything about the tarot. But I told him that I was more interested in James Bond. He just smiled …
About a year later I received a package in the post. Inside was a copy of the James Bond Tarot (Tarot of the Witches) by Fergus Hall, with the compliments of Stuart Kaplan. I tested it with the Almanach and they seem to 'communicate' well with each other.
It just goes to show!

Notes:

My aim with this was to create a ghost story in the tradition of M.R.James.
That meant I had to follow certain rules: The story had to take place in a familiar environment. It had to avoid any complicated esoteric language and it had to have a 'negative' connotation rather than a positive one. I forgot the last rule, but I retained the story's credibility. I also wanted my ghost to be a memory, a slip in time. And of course everything had to be connected to my universe.
I assembled a personal 'time capsule' from souvenirs from my first trip to the United States in 1972. The composition is simpler to the one I put together for the UK version of Homicide (with Peter Cairns) since I could re-use photos from that period. The superb Carnie Tarot and Witches’ Almanach have already been very well prepared. To fill out the look of the objects, I added a bunch of pre-War tickets from Coney Island, a photo of an American freak (General Mite, with whom David Devant worked during one tour), period post cards (Thank god for Ebay!) and various stones matching the 'gems' in the notebook. Of course, the tickets gave me the idea for the link between the tarot cards and the fairground attractions.
The character of Madame Zora comes from the Alan Parker film Angel Heart (The Girl of my Dreams - the central song in the movie – was written by Sunny Clapp in 1927), and the phrase "You're one of us" is a direct reference to Tod Browning's movie Freaks. So is the photo of the dwarf. I love these knowing little nods to the cinema.
I think anyone who properly understands how ghost stories work, and who combines that knowledge with perfect conjuring technique, has a huge range of options when it comes to performing bizarre magic.
The old coin and time travel are references to Somewhere In Time, a film focusing on the suspension of disbelief.
In addition to the original book test, I have added many effects based on the tarot cards (the Carnie Tarot and the James Bond Tarot), such as cards that refer to fairground attractions: the Moon (Luna Park, from the Latin 'luna' meaning moon), the Wheel of Fortune (Wonder Wheel), the Devil (Devil’s Ride) and so on. And then there is the Tower and a ticket for a bath towel. Tower… Towel… geddit?? ;-).
During the story, I show a half dollar from 1972 (Kennedy half dollar), but by the end it has transformed into a silver half dollar from 1936 (a Liberty half-dollar).

docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
*speechless!*

Wonderful attention to detail Curator - this is haute coutere
[
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I prostrate...

That is amazing and has to be one of THE BEST written presentations I have EVER seen.

...but my opinion may be a little biased because I have a great love for both the Curator and my Dekranom.

Thankyou for sharing this I have been inspired.

Again...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Inspiring! Beautiful.
Reminds me of the Picasso quote... Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thank you Mr. Chelman for the wonderful presentation. I'll be adding the Coney Island Witch to the Outlaw Backroom!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The midget on the photo is general Mite. David Devant worked once with him..
http://www.showhistory.com/GeneralMite.midget.html
http://www.quasi-modo.net/General_Mite_III.html
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2008-09-03 18:51, Eddie Garland wrote:
Inspiring! Beautiful.
Reminds me of the Picasso quote... Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.

Yes! It can't get much better than this! Incredible! Beautiful!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Astroland to close:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/coney_island;......GhcazJV4

Requiescat in pace.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie tarot (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL