The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie tarot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
For the story, I worked on various interesting concepts/effects:
- The Fortuneteller proves to me that she has some kind of occult power (variation on Max Maven's B'Wave with only one card) ,(the effect needs to be quick at that point)
- I work some kind of reverse prediction with the Carnie Tarot. (She reads my Palm and confirms what she reads with the Carnie Tarot)
- She returns the coin to me (in a small purse) saying that because I'm one of them, I don't have to miss my Hot Dog (When I open the purse later, I find a pre-war token of 25 cents for Feltman's restaurant)- they closed in 1946, I think. (The old coin is another possibility, but with the token, I feel more in a Carnie mood).
- I show how the Witches' almanach can "speak" to a new tarot (the James Bond Tarot)
- I test the Witches' almanach on the spectator by reversing the concept. I won't explain that on a public forum...
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Another beautifully crafted story from Mr C! I admire the patience, thought and care that you put into your work. Excellent reading and I'd love to see you perform this.

Having tried to pull together a few items to show to some colleagues via your "The Christmas Gift" this Christmas, I have begun to appreciate the amount of time and effort you must spend searching for just the right props, avoiding any anachronisms (if possible) with the props, pulling together of the storyline together with the correct magical techniques to achieve the miraculous.

Many thanks for sharing this with us. Are we expecting to see this in a forthcoming book Smile ? I await with baited breath...

Cheers,
Matt
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Do you know that "the Christmas Gift" is a real ghost story ?
Someone on this forum discovered why...
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 14:11, The Curator wrote:

I believe I was indeed that "someone"! Smile
It is truly a ghost story!
Research the dates...more supernatural going on in this lovely tale then merely a Nicholas visit.
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 14:42, Eddie Garland wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 14:11, The Curator wrote:

I believe I was indeed that "someone"! Smile
It is truly a ghost story!
Research the dates...more supernatural going on in this lovely tale then merely a Nicholas visit.

You've piqued my curiosity now chaps. I'll have to investifigate (not a typo) Smile
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Ah - something to do with the Battle of Edgehill by any chance?

Edgehill - Warwickshire
The battle of Edgehill took place on 24th October 1642, and was the first major battle of the English Civil War. 3,000 Roundhead and Royalist soldiers lost their lives on this historic ground and their spirits still appear centuries after. On 23rd December 1642, shepherds tending their sheep at Edgehill witnessed a spectral re-enactment of the entire battle. At first the shepherds heard the sound of drums, then the noise of soldiers could be heard - giving out their last groans. Then appearing in the air “the same incorporeal soldiers that made those clamours” and phantom armies fought in the sky above the original battlefield. The phantom Parliamentarians and Cavalier soldiers re-appeared over several nights and were witnessed on Christmas Day by many people. In the 1940s Bill Priest, a local school master, claimed that ghostly phenomenon was a common occurrence in the area surrounding the field.

Cut from http://www.headlesshorseman.co.uk/battlefield.html#1

Very interesting stuff. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,
Matt
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 15:15, BillyTheSquid wrote:
“the same incorporeal soldiers that made those clamours” and phantom armies fought in the sky above the original battlefield.

Reminds me the myth of the Wild Hunt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I just noticed a little mistake in my story above: The fire in Luna Park happened on Saturday the 12th of August 1944 (and not the 21th).
My own story in 1972 happens on the same date, also a Saturday in 1972.
It adds a little to the ghostly relation between the two dates.
OK, I'm a maniac.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
The Biggest fire at Coney Island was the 1911 Dreamland fire. Burnt down an entire amusement park. Back then Coney Island was three separate amusement parks: Dreamland, Steeple Chase and Luna Park.
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Am I the only one here seeing the patterns of "Luna" in this mixed up, crazy universe of Outlaw? Am I crazy or just seeing things?

Should I check myself into the hospital? I hear its a circus in there!

(Complete with Carnies and fortune tellers, of course.) =)
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Speaking about Coney Island's Dreamland, I recently bought this Giant's Ring on Ebay. I'll use it someway in the routine. The ring has the size of a half dollar and probably pre-dates the fire of 1911. I was attracted by the name of Dreamland on it, a kind of symbol of the two worlds colliding in the story.

dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Beautiful Ring! Question for the Curator: Are your ride tickets real or did you make them? I can't seem to find an image of the tickets from the 50s and 60s.

Dennis
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The tickets are real and pre WWII. I bought the lot on Ebay among with other items. Ebay is sometimes a good source for a basic information. And help from members of this forum too.
The Dekranom contains tickets, photos, postcards, letters, a laundry ticket from NY (1940) and more. Also handwritten notes (made with old ink from the correct era)...
As some of you may know, I'm an obsessional maniac with my props.
If you didn't read this: http://outlaw-effects.com/outlaweffects/......temid=88
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
http://www.inkheartmovie.com/
Well, what if the Dekranom worked this way: whatever you read in the almanach, happens. I tried with the combinaison Witches almanach and Carnie Tarot,and it works.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
With the Dekranom, I use gems, those who have the book know why. I needed a nice box from the 1940's (Coney Island) to put them in and I found this.

I also needed a specific coin for the routine (I change a quarter for...)

Props, always props...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A last sad note.
Two months ago my father was discovered a liver cancer.
When in hospital, I brought him the Coney Island Witch story to read and he loved it. It reminded him our 1972 travel to the US.
It was also the last story he ever readed as he died two days later...
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I am sorry for your loss Curator. It was nice you were able to share your story with him and have it remind him of good times you spent together. Magic and memories...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 12:33, The Curator wrote:
Another Carnie Tarot
http://www.sideshowworld.com/SS-TC-Art.html

Ahhh those are cute!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I recieved my Carnie tarot a few day's ago and this has to be the best deck that I own. The work that has been put into these are absolutely phenomenal.
thanks Roth for a piece of beauty.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Carnie tarot (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL