The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Best "Science" based tricks (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
waso
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of waso
Real Levitation using static electricity. Levitating Orb Science Experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toZ3fwzv_o
waso
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of waso
Real Levitation using heavy gases. (Xenon or Sulfur Hexafluoride)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3EX0vEfFKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCmwuGKR6g
waso
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of waso
Magnetic Levitation: The most beautiful magic object I have ever seen is the Levitating Light Bulb of Jeff Lieberman.

Click here to view attached image.
base851
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
58 Posts

Profile of base851
I like the way waso thinks. I can also see some VERY interesting uses for ferrofluid. The stuff looks genuinely freaky... and alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpI4EiGACo8&feature=related
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
For Science patter I have a Gypsy Thread that talks about String Theory. It's accurate and entertaining if performed for the right audience.

For actual Science I perform a Rice in Vase suspension from a Chop Stick. The rice makes a sort of pin clutch. Although the audience doesn't know how it works I find it very interesting. Does it count if the audience doesn't know it's based on science?

-Mary Mowder
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Lenz's Law. Cheap and simple. Drop a small supermagnet down an aluminium or copper pipe(or any non ferromagnetic metal). It will fall very slowly due to induced currents in the pipe. I have holes drilled in mine so you can see it on its way down. Have a duplicate of the magnet that is not magnetic (e.g. piece of brass or steel) and perform switch so that it falls fast for the spectator but slow upon your command.
Don't get even... Get odd!
Hedberg
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Hedberg
Sands of The Desert
GALIER
View Profile
New user
Spain
37 Posts

Profile of GALIER
Also, "Newton's nightmare" is an astonishing trick.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
This topic is of profound interest to me. As many of you know during the late 18th century and in to the early 20th century many effect that are still in use today were based upon science experiments. These experiments were translated or applied to the principles of deception. I have been studying this aspect of the magical art for many years now and only as of recent published Ideas for Mentalism Number 1. In this work I have applied basic science experiments to the art of Mentalism with out all of the technical jargon.

Among my favorite science turned mentalist, are the PK effects. These effects utilize the science of magnetism. These effects began with the spiritualist movement over a century ago and it was not till the 1940-1950 we began to see new application of the PK principles a wider use.

Each and every year I see new effects hit the market place using science as a fundamental base for the creation of magic. This is why this topic is of interest to me, using science to create or form an idea, then applying that thought to a performance and creating an entertaining effect that will in some cases baffle even the most knowledgeable among us. Since the methods are scientific and happen naturally as a result of real forces of Physics. The methodology is right in front of the audience (in some cases) and never seen.

In a science based experiment I look only for a few things.

1. Can this experiment be translated to magic or Mentalism?
2. Will it have an impact upon the audience?
3. Can the science behind the effect be done easily?
4. Can it be done with simple or easy to find objects?

Bill Montana
crashbang1969
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of crashbang1969
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 03:41, Algebra2 wrote:
My list for best "science" based tricks-
Lubor Fiedler's trick with a wine glass using chemical for spook effect
Don Hauss clever new Flow trick
Can anyone else provide their best "science" based magic effects using chemicals,optical ilusions, etc. Thanks.

Have you ever been able to actually do this trick? I've tried with what little explanation he gives in the dvd but the glass won't move. Tried several different glasses.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-06-03 23:04, crashbang1969 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 03:41, Algebra2 wrote:

My list for best "science" based tricks-
Lubor Fiedler's trick with a wine glass using chemical for spook effect
Don Hauss clever new Flow trick
Can anyone else provide their best "science" based magic effects using chemicals,optical ilusions, etc. Thanks.

Have you ever been able to actually do this trick? I've tried with what little explanation he gives in the dvd but the glass won't move. Tried several different glasses.

You might like to check THIS post. Smile Smile

Enjoy!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Pixie Glass (Abbotts) and Uncanny Can (Warren Stephens) come to mind
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Healed and Sealed, Slush Powder.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Though some trickery is used, the Burnt Ribbon/Floating Ashes/Restored Ribbon a beautiful effect.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Shrinking head illisioun, (optical ilssioun)
Lenz law, (magatisum)
Red cabage acid indacater (Chemical reactions)
Bianary nubers, (Matmatics)

These four are great tricks. put together rikgth you have a good magic science science magic show.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2009-12-04 20:07, MagicMatthews wrote:
Lenz's Law. Cheap and simple. Drop a small supermagnet down an aluminium or copper pipe(or any non ferromagnetic metal). It will fall very slowly due to induced currents in the pipe. I have holes drilled in mine so you can see it on its way down. Have a duplicate of the magnet that is not magnetic (e.g. piece of brass or steel) and perform switch so that it falls fast for the spectator but slow upon your command.

This would be very cool if the pipe was made of electroconductive glass or clear plastic. Is there such a thing?

Mike
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2009-06-10 21:29, funsway wrote:
The one I have had the greatest success with is knowledge that everyone can detect chnages in the magnetic field around them if you condition their perceptions. Have a person sit in a chair and stare straight ahead. Take a sharp metal onject like a bar-b-q skewer and thin knife and slowly bring it to about 2" from his/her eyes. You will get his attention -- everyone has a fear of being blinded. Now have him close his eyes with instructions to say "stop" whenever he sense the point exactly 2" from his head. Try it from different angles of approach. If htere is no response, withdraw and try again. You should get at least 90% accuracy. Of course, congratulate the subject on his amazing power.

Sounds dangerous.

But still kinda cool in an extreme kinda way... Smile

Thanks.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 17:32, chmara wrote:
Psychic Readings -- based upon evolution.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MarcusSachse
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MarcusSachse
Water to wine.
Jesus was badass magician. Legend still lives.
Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
Here is my stage size Lenz Law: http://youtu.be/8QG-u4Pr8Cw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Best "Science" based tricks (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL