The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Magellan Levitation (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
That's a great offer, Jimmy. Thanks. Think I'll take you up on it. I purchased this from you almost two years ago, but have performed it only a handful of times and would love to hear any tips you didn't include on the instructional download.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi everyone,

To the request of further tips on performance, I would simply say this. Really copy and emulate the moves on the instructional to the nth degree. Then, make sure that you've seen yourself on video performing it. Over and over. Only then would I "make it your own". Then video again, and make sure that whatever you do to change or improve it does not take away from the original performance method and effect.

I'm killing all over Vegas with this, and it's a showstopper! Every show that I'm in specifically requests it over everything else. It's a real hit!

If you're having problems with smoothness and the physicality required to perform it, make sure that you pay attention to the details of the instructional video. Most of the time that people complain about the stress of the rise execution, they simply aren't following the instructions.

Properly executed, there is a slow rise without any stress or pain.

Jimmy
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Hi Jimmy, I always employ a slow levitation but during a recent practice session I changed it to a quick rise - which I also employed at a subsequent gig. This seemed to work well as it looked like I'd shot up in the air, rather than floated - have you ever performed it this way and what are you thoughts on this?

Also do you have any advice for wobbly stages? Sometimes a venue's stage can be a little less sturdy than I'd like and I've found the part where I lower to be quite challenging and almost impossible to practice for. Any help much appreciated. NOTE: This is in no way a reflection on the excellent levitation itself, more on the temporary stages that I sometimes find myself having to perform on.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Havens,

I've never tried to do it that fast, but I was trying to get the most out of the mystery... I can't see it, but, hey, you never know until you've done it in extremely similar situations with different paces.

I usually prefer to have a background that shows your change of height. In other words, something with more of a horizontal pattern than a vertical on that doesn't show the difference.

As long as you're using the 3 point stabilization system, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've never had a problem with the illusion on unstable stages.

Thanks for the nice words on the Magellan Master Levitation, and best of luck!!!

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Is there an angle issue if the audience can look down upon the performer? I sometimes have to work beneath and somewhat in front of a balcony. Will the workings be revealed to spectators looking down from above the performance?
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 14:18, marknem7 wrote:
Is there an angle issue if the audience can look down upon the performer? I sometimes have to work beneath and somewhat in front of a balcony. Will the workings be revealed to spectators looking down from above the performance?

You know what the angles are so good on this you could get away with it but all I really wouldn't risk it. I've had people standing behind me (backstage performers) and some clearly saw the gimmick, while others said they did but were later checking my legs for stilts. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable performing this with someone above and behind me, directly above and you may be ok. Could you not just set-up this one trick slightly under the balcony?
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
Also do you have any advice for wobbly stages? Sometimes a venue's stage can be a little less sturdy than I'd like and I've found the part where I lower to be quite challenging and almost impossible to practice for. Any help much appreciated. NOTE: This is in no way a reflection on the excellent levitation itself, more on the temporary stages that I sometimes find myself having to perform on.

Havens just informed me of a bent element of one of the 3 points for the stabilization. My response was, yes, of course, this will negatively affect the stability. Please replace the bolt with one of identical length and size immediately.

Imagine, having a tripod table with one leg that is a different length that the others, and wanting the top to be level. Simply not realistic.

JF
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On 2012-04-13 11:44, magic4545 wrote:
Quote:

Havens just informed me of a bent element of one of the 3 points for the stabilization. My response was, yes, of course, this will negatively affect the stability. Please replace the bolt with one of identical length and size immediately.

Imagine, having a tripod table with one leg that is a different length that the others, and wanting the top to be level. Simply not realistic.

JF

Totally agree, and to think I've been using it like this since purchase as I thought it was meant to be like that - everything else is so well thought of I assumed this was just another fine touch - bent to the perfect angle! I wish I'd said something from the start.

Will replace the bolt as soon as I can get to the hardware store, thanks Jimmy.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hello everyone!

For the next few days, I am moving all of my stock to Las Vegas. In an effort to minimize the move, I will be taking offers for brand new Magellan Master Levitations. If you have been wanting one of these, but have found the cost to be prohibitive, this might be a good time to contact me. Please feel free to reach me here, through email or the website.

Thanks,

Jimmy Fingers
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks to Justin Kredible for his purchase, and for the great job that I hear that he did while using the Magellan levitation at the Magic Castle!

Jimmy Fingers
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-06-25 12:54, magic4545 wrote:
Thanks to Justin Kredible for his purchase, and for the great job that I hear that he did while using the Magellan levitation at the Magic Castle!

Jimmy Fingers

That is awesome Jimmy, and what a great performer Justin is......
RSteele
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of RSteele
Great piece of magic/illusion. Love mine!
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Hello everyone.

When I first read-up on this levitation, I was very excited, but after reading more reviews, my heart sank when I found out it cannot be performed as part of an 'on the street' show.

I'm really hoping someone will be able to enlighten me on this, hopefully Jimmy can give me the heads-up on the latest developments.

Greatly looking forward to a quick response to this.

BEST.

Neil.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Neil,

This is not for the street. This is meant to do either in a stage/parlour setting. Actually- this can be done with people rather close to you just not for people behind you.

It is an awesome levitation. I do this every weekend on the cruise ship I work and never fails to really blow the specs away!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Hey Bob.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sure, this illusion does sound very promising indeed and initially I was looking to do this as part of my street entertainment, but, after speaking with Jimmy, he's said it's a no-goer for outdoor use, as Jimmy says the wind will get to the cloth and anyone behind won't be as flattered Smile

I do think there may be a glimmer of hope in the outdoor application and I've thought about having a backdrop and having side pieces to obscure the illusion side-on, this could possibly work. And also you could have a heavy foulard in case it's a windy day.

I'd really like to meet somebody who performs this on the streets if there's somebody out there that can shed some light.

Has any of you performed this in a restaurant and if so, how well does it play in these conditions? I know you won't be able to do this right in front of a table, but instead will be a good few feet away, in a spare space.

I've been watching quite a few videos on You Tube with people performing their levitation, though most of them can't perform it very well. Their rise looks somewhat jerky if you know what I mean? It isn't very fluid-like. These people look relatively fit and in shape. Why can't they make their incline/decline look natural and smooth?

Bob and others, are you using the latest version? Has anyone compared the old version with the new? Also, to get the incline/decline fluid-like and natural, does this take much practice and if so, how much?

Does anyone have a video to share with the latest version in action?

Best.

Neil.
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Any update please?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Neil!

I'm thinkin' it's all been said. I agree...this is NOT for the street. Period. Best find another illusion for that. Good luck! Smile

Doug
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 17:14, bluedragon wrote:
Hey Bob.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sure, this illusion does sound very promising indeed and initially I was looking to do this as part of my street entertainment, but, after speaking with Jimmy, he's said it's a no-goer for outdoor use, as Jimmy says the wind will get to the cloth and anyone behind won't be as flattered Smile

I do think there may be a glimmer of hope in the outdoor application and I've thought about having a backdrop and having side pieces to obscure the illusion side-on, this could possibly work. And also you could have a heavy foulard in case it's a windy day.

I'd really like to meet somebody who performs this on the streets if there's somebody out there that can shed some light.

Has any of you performed this in a restaurant and if so, how well does it play in these conditions? I know you won't be able to do this right in front of a table, but instead will be a good few feet away, in a spare space.

I've been watching quite a few videos on You Tube with people performing their levitation, though most of them can't perform it very well. Their rise looks somewhat jerky if you know what I mean? It isn't very fluid-like. These people look relatively fit and in shape. Why can't they make their incline/decline look natural and smooth?

Bob and others, are you using the latest version? Has anyone compared the old version with the new? Also, to get the incline/decline fluid-like and natural, does this take much practice and if so, how much?

Does anyone have a video to share with the latest version in action?

Best.

Neil.

I have the new version. Unless you have a dedicated spot at the restaurant where no one can see behind you or directly to the sided- this will not work. As far as the smoothness- I agree- the videos of others performing this does not do the effect justice. They are very jerky movements. I must say- performing this correctly for me came, as with all effects, after many runs. The smoothness will just come. And let me tell you- when it does- The Magellan Levi will be a HUGE hit in your show. It is in mine. I pretty much close with it and it gets gasps and "No Ways" from all!

RNK
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Excellent call RNK, thanks for your input.

Nevertheless, I'm ruling out the Magellan for street useage, which is a shame but never mind. Maybe in years to come, Jimmy will be releasing a levi that can be performed outdoors.

I'm getting really excited about the Magellan. I'll be making a fine investment in the next month or two and try and get a good video together and show you how much of a superman I really am ha!

Can anyone tell me of a good, valid excuse to ponder around the raised curtain, to justify why there's a long pause before lift off? Just looking at this from an audience point of view, they may be asking why did it take 15-20 seconds pondering behind the curtain before lift off.

Also, is the supplied curtain a shiny or none shiny material? If it's shiny, then I will be buying my own none shiny opaque material. Which material would you recommend?

Best.

Neil.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
You don't have to ponder behind the curtain. This is a preference call on the performers part. You can go right into the levitation if you like. Maybe some choose to ponder because they feel while they are pondering they are gathering the necessary energy to lift off...... But- Jimmy shows you a few ways to do the levitation in which you can make up your mind whether or not to ponder.....

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Magellan Levitation (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL