The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please can you recommend some strong yet easy to do or self working coin effects. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
nkd
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of nkd
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 14:53, Justin Style wrote:
I still haven't heard anyone tell me what exactly "Self-working" means?

No real magician, worth his magic powder, would ever do a "self-working" trick. And that's a fact.

that's interesting, Juan Tameriz isn't a magician then? Novel concept...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Okayyyyyy... I have been told by several very, very, very, very, VERY good card magicians that it is good to throw in at least one self-working trick into every routine to switch the methods up and such.
If we are never to do the same trick twice the same way... well the answer is pretty obvious.
If you aren't magician enough to use some easy tricks when appropriate, you might as well start calling yourself a juggler now and get it over with.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I would think that in this context, "self working coin tricks" would be things like a "Scotch & Soda," "China Change," maybe a "Cop/Silv coin" etc., tricks that require minimal skill to perform while delivering notable amazement. I think we all have some of these kinds of tricks, probably started out that way with them as well. Smile I did the same things in offsetting my coin work with a few card tricks...I used to do "Do As I Do or used a Stripper Pack for some effects. I would regard these as somewhat self-working, as to the easy way they make the magic happen without much skill needed. I don't see anything wrong with using these sorts of effects. Most guys that have used them can do a heckuva lot more as well but they probably started with them in one way or another. I have to say that many of these kinds of effects are quite interesting and if used properly can amaze in the same way as more skill-minded effects do, the way gaff effects can be even more amazing than sleight of hand at times, same difference...Bascially it's all good and to each his own really. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
While I don't beleive in self-working everything has to be worked at from the simplest to the hardest.
You have gotten some good advice from some good guys.
I would like to throw my hat into the mix.

http://vinnymarini.com/download/onecoin.html

Packs small but plays Big and all you need is a coin and a purse frame.

What ever you choose you won't go wrong.
Just remember to have fun if your having fun then your spectators will too.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Quote:
Stay away from gaffs early on. They provide a crutch you don't want to lean on at this point. Few great routines exist for any gaff outside a sh*** or c/s coin. No matter what anyone here tells you.

I reckon it's early on that you need a crutch. I'm guessing from your comment about no good routines for gaff coins that you haven't seen Craig Petty's "split happens"? Or for that matter "Flipped out" some truly great routines with gaffed coins.
Okami
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
157 Posts

Profile of Okami
Quote:
... I think it is called "sheeps and robbers" well, something like that. Dr. Shigeo Futagawa has an incredible coin effect wherein coins are placed in an arrow shaped formation acing the magician.... the magician then covers the coins per row then in the end he asks the spectator that it is a memory test.... He then asks where the arrow is pointing....BANG! The arrow is now pointing towards the spectator.

I learned this when I attended his lecture some years back. Perhaps someone knows if Futagawa-San has this in print.

The routine you are describing seems to be "Paranoiac Pyramid". If I remember correctly the Routine was in Print in Mr. Futagawas Lecture Notes.

Rudi
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Paranoiac Pyramid appears in the January 1992 Genii magazine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please can you recommend some strong yet easy to do or self working coin effects. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL