The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Shuffle Bored (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
A magician friend told me that someone came up with an improvement on the packet that you unfold that opens more like a book. Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks.
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
It's not clear what you're asking here. Are you referring to Prediction Shuffle-bored where you have a piece of paper on which you write down the number of face up and face down cards, the number of black and red cards, and the identity of a specific card?
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Sorry, I typed my original post in haste. Yes, that's the trick. It's very good the way it is, but I heard that someone came up with a way to create the paper so that it opens in a different, supposedly improved way. Rather than its being progressively opened till it's a full sheet of paper, it is perhaps more like a booklet (?). The intent is that the final revelation is not telegraphed. I really don't know if I have this 100% correct, but someone out there may know. Thanks.
BiGGoGiBBo
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of BiGGoGiBBo
It sounds like Paul Green's Jeopardy from his In the trenches DVD. If you buy this you get the paper with it so you can photocopy it.
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I'm actually going to a Paul Green Lecture next month, so may see it then. Thanks!
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
The booklet that looks like a little book is described on Aronson's DVD Sessions With Simon vol.2. This folding concept was invented by Bob Sheets (correct spelling?) and allows you to do the revelations without the booklet changing size.

In Magic Magazine August 2003 this fold is described in detail (The entire trick section is devoted to Aronson's favorite version of Shuffle Bored) and there is an included printout that you can fold a professional looking booklet out of.

I think I will have to make myself such a booklet in my own language and try this trick, which I have never done.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Even better. Thanks!
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking in on this great trick. Personally, I use the paper folding method attributed to Ali Bongo. The ever increasing size of the paper is a compelling aspect as it draws everyone towards the final climax.

The other method, where it looks like a small booklet is actually quite old. The advantage (?) is that each page is the same size and the final size is a full sized sheet.

I have used them both and there really isn't much difference. Use the one that works best for you. I have also used 4 different business cards with the info written on each card.

Enjoy the search!

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS TNTJR--looking forward to Chicago!!!!!!!!
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 19:14, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking in on this great trick. Personally, I use the paper folding method attributed to Ali Bongo. The ever increasing size of the paper is a compelling aspect as it draws everyone towards the final climax.

The other method, where it looks like a small booklet is actually quite old. The advantage (?) is that each page is the same size and the final size is a full sized sheet.

I have used them both and there really isn't much difference. Use the one that works best for you. I have also used 4 different business cards with the info written on each card.

Enjoy the search!

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS TNTJR--looking forward to Chicago!!!!!!!!

We are too. MIke Powers was in this week and put in a good word for you, not that you needed it. BTW, really enjoyed Mike's lecture as well.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I prefer the booklet that stays the same size so the spectators don't know about the kicker. If it continues getting bigger and you get to half a sheet they know something else is coming.

That all changed though after I watched Lennart Green's version of Shuffle-Bored which doesn't use the prediction booklet. He presents it as a shuffle tracking demonstration where he writes down the information onto a notepad instead of having it printed out ahead of time.

I like Green's presentation because (depending on the audience) the booklet may be too strong and suggest some self-working principle. Writing the information down makes the outcome seem more random. Of course, I haven't actually performed it this way yet and the Aronson version has never failed to absolutely wow everybody when I've performed it--so you can't really go wrong with either.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
magicjustin
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
26 Posts

Profile of magicjustin
I use the folded paper that gets bigger with each revelation. I've been using it for many years.

No one suspects the kicker, it usually presents a "Magician in Trouble" dilemma and if your acting abilities are any good. They accept the fact that you "made a mistake" then they're TOTALLY floored by the final reveal and it's not expected at all.

I carry a small folded version on my during strolling and created a big NON-FOLDING version for stage.

I took a manilla folder, and pinted each prediction AS LARGE AND AS BOLD AS POSSIBLE on their own sheet of paper. then I Stapled these to the folder.

When I open the folder, they don't fall out and all I have to do is fold the sheet back to reveal the next prediction. It KILLS, packs small and plays BIG. (I've done it in crowds as big as 300)
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I haven't done this trick in a long time, but I really love it. I should add it back in, although it doesn't currently fit my performing style. Anyway, my reason for chiming in is to tell you that Café' member Paul Hallas has a KILLER adult line to finish his version of this. You'll have to PM him to find it.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I really like this trick too! The version I did had the audience do a lot of the shuffling and on the odd ocassion the spectator dropped the cards messing up the routine! Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to do this routine again, does anyone have a solution to this problem?

AM
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 21:07, aussiemagic wrote:
I really like this trick too! The version I did had the audience do a lot of the shuffling and on the odd ocassion the spectator dropped the cards messing up the routine! Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to do this routine again, does anyone have a solution to this problem?

AM

Ask for spectators who know about gambling and can show how to riffle shuffle
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 21:07, aussiemagic wrote:

AM

Lennart Green, on his Green Lite DVD, has an excellent solution. After breaking the deck into the 2 piles, he spreads them out so that there are 2 "heaps" (spread-out piles) of cards. He then has people grab a "chunk" of cards from one pile, flip it over, and drop it onto the other pile. Then, you can mix pile around so the face-up cards get intermixed with the face-down cards (yet still remain face-up, of course).

Watch this performance of it to get the idea behind the procedure.

It looks a lot more messy and far less controlled, yet the outcome is still exactly the same!

The best part is: the person doesn't need to know how to riffle shuffle.

Quote:
On 2008-10-30 02:20, magicjustin wrote:
I use the folded paper that gets bigger with each revelation. I've been using it for many years.

No one suspects the kicker, it usually presents a "Magician in Trouble" dilemma and if your acting abilities are any good. They accept the fact that you "made a mistake" then they're TOTALLY floored by the final reveal and it's not expected at all.

Tamariz had the best advice on proper acting for a "Magician in Trouble" scenario:
1) Freeze briefly (2-3 seconds), to communicate that this is not what you expected.
2) After you're done freezing, scratch some part of your body, such as your elbow, to express that you're trying to consider where to go from this apparently unexpected point.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
As posted in another thread, shuffle bored is an excellent effect to prepare for Out of this world. It goes from several cards of the same color to one card when in Out Of This World the number of cards involved gets bigger and bigger. The additional advantage is that it allows to sort the half the cards for Shuffle Bored and then, after the effect to finish splitting the colors for OOTW.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Scott,

I like that, thanks!
Where I live no one knows about gambling and very few people can riffle shuffle, so this seems like a good method for me.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You're welcome.

Max Maven has another approach he uses for situations where people who can't riffle shuffle, but you need the deck riffle shuffled (say, for a Gilbreath-type effect). It's simple: You break the deck into two halves, and set each half lengthways on the table (one to the right of the other). You then ribbon spread each half (this looks somewhat flashy if you ribbon spread both halves at the same time, one with each hand). You now ask your spectators to "smoosh" the 2 halves together!

It may take a while for a person to learn to properly riffle shuffle, but I have yet to meet the person who couldn't "smoosh".
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Scott, what is the name of Max's effect?

Yes, anybody can "smoosh". Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I don't think I have actually gone through this effect cards in hand before today. I first saw Aronson's version on his second DVD a while ago but I found it a tad too "neat" for my own use.

I then saw Lennart Green's Rain Man on his Green Magic 7 DVD, but I felt that his setup was a bit impractical for me to do on the fly.

Today when I actually tried it I used Aronson's setup for an Aronson stacked deck, which is what I have in my pocket anyway, but did the shuffles the Green way instead. It's suddenly looking very much like something I would want to use, although I cannot make up my mind as to what is the best presentation plot, a preprinted comical brochure, impromptu scribbled notes or something else like mind reading.

As for smooshing cards, I think the Green way of doing his Double Slop Shuffle is even more chaotic looking than the part where the spectators do the shuffling themselves. Or a perfect follow up to it anyway. If someone suspects math in the spectator shuffle segment, they are likely to get really thrown off by you suddenly meshing cards wildly together. Of course by then they are already facing the right way.

A very clever effect this. I think I need to rummage through Bound to Please for other handling elements that may be further eye openers for me.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Shuffle Bored (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL