The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Departure Ring Flight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
My pockets aren't that tight... The unit holds on at the hem of my back pocket. Maybe he should have made it heavier. I have't tried with my dress pants yet though, those pockets should be tight enough to stop it from talking. I do want to be able to perform this casually though, and I don't wear jeans with tight back pockets. I'm trying to figure out a way to clip the unit to the bottom of the pants and easily be able to detach it and pull it out of your pants when you want to display their ring on the clip. No ideas yet though.

Thanks for your quick help!
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
You kinda of have to place it down in your pocket when you have the unit pulled all the out.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Badger I'm telling you first hand it doesn't stay down there, my back pocket isn't tight enough. I'm thinking I'll have to sew in a horizontal pocket inside my back pocket to keep the unit inside, it'll prevent noise and it won't come out unless I take it out.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Patrick there is a technique to working with any reel-based ring flight prop. They all suffer from the same thing. One reason of the advantages of having a leather case over the plastic one is that leather dampens noise and the keys are contained so they don’t rattle.

Rather than sew a pocket within a pocket just to hold the prop try this a few times. Put the prop at the bottom of your pocket, put a handkerchief on top of the prop, and if you have a button pocket button it closed. The line goes around the handkerchief but the ring and clasp won’t when it is released. There will be no noise heard.

Now in performance you’ll actually have to unbutton the pocket (if you have one), and remove the handkerchief, and then remove the prop. That looks even more impossible.

A good technique is to release the ring less that 8" from the prop. Very little momentum is built up and less impact is experienced by the ring against the case. See Dick Barry's or Danny Tong's handling in their ring-flight routines.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Secure a magnet to the bottom of your pocket.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Yeah I`ve tried the magnet idea and it doesn`t work. It`s not strong enough. I`ll try the handkerchief idea. Thanks guys! I actually thought of a gimmick that could be added to Departure that would hold the unit down until you want to take it out and it is completely disguised within the unit. It doesn`t exist though, you`d have to get it made. Maybe if enough people have the same problem it could be manufactured.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

The handkerchief works great but now I have to silence the clip portion. The ring clinks against the clip when it hits the hem of the pocket. I doubt there's any way to eliminate that without making the clip look retarded.
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Mines coming soon, from Jerskin.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Seriously though, I can understand using this near a busy street or in a bar, but how do you pull it off in a table-hopping environment? The ring jiggles on the clip. There's nothing you can do about that. They'll hear it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Patrick it is clear that this prop does not meet your needs. I say get rid of it. There are any number of ring flight props that are quiet and give you the same effect of a ring to a key ring.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Derek vanishes the ring several times on the explanation dvd and he's in a studio environment and you could hear a pin drop when he releases. I just don't get it. I won't get rid of it, I can still use it in the right situations. The great thing about this is that you can have it with you all the time and it doesn't get in the way whatsoever and it's covert.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Perhaps get the El Duco Ring flight, it's a lot more quiet. I got both the departure and the El duco flite and both works well.

What I think you should try to get is a mobile phone case that clips on your belt. This way, you can have an extra few inches on the line; the pouch will hold the keys; the ring would hit the edge of the case instead of slam to the keychain.

I bought one and it works for both ring flight I got.

Hope this solve your solution.

bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 21:30, PatrickGregoire wrote:
When I release the ring and it arrives where it's supposed to go, it jiggles the whole lot and makes a terrible ruckus. I'd really appreciate a solution from any of you. Sure, the reel is silent, but how the heck do you stop the impact noise? That's my problem. Even without any keys on it, it still makes a loud-enough-to-hear-even-with-ambiant-noise-so-don't-tell-me-not-to-worry-about-it-because-there-will-be-ambiant-noise noise because the ring clinks against the clip and the ring that the clip hangs off of and the remote. All these things clink together.

I perform this primarily in jeans. I put Departure in my right back jeans pocket. I haven't had a problem with noise. The tightness of the pocket and thickness of the material apparently prohibits the ring from "slamming" against everything else that's on the key ring and making noise.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

I'm over the unit jiggling. My problem now is stopping the ring from clinking against the clip. I will never solve that problem. I do realize that ambient noise is required and so I will use it in those situations. I'll never be able to depend on this ring flight at any given moment though. I was thinking, however, of an old coin vanish under a handkerchief. I won't explain it here, but basically you place the ring under the hanky, lift up the front side to prove it's still there, drape it back down and the ring vanishes. You could prove the ring is there, hand them the silk but the ring has already vanished because you stole it out the way the method works and as you hand them the hanky your other hand goes towards the back pocket and just lets it go inches away from the pocket. Nobody would even notice your hand going that close to the pocket because the focus is on the handkerchief. Or even just using the false take that Derek teaches on the DVD and as you apparently hand them the ring your other hand does the dirty work.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
The sound of the ring rattling around isn't going away. I suppose you could cover the clasp with a black velvet type material but I think that's completely unnecessary. You're hearing the rattle. I highly doubt the spectator is.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Maybe you know what to look for so you will pay attention to it. the best way is to try it out with your friends first and see if it the problems are obvious.

Maybe you can adjust the tension of the spring so it won't slam.
Best Regards,

Bob
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
All those problems are gone with "Just-IN-Case" (that's why I invented that method. It works like a charm for Mike Close's Ring Fright routine. But you can use any routine. No reel, no noise. No trouble. Find at http://www.porperoriginals.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
I've used Rinky Dinky for the past 8 years and just this last month switched from Rinky Dinky to departure. So far I have had no problems with noise of any kind during shows or impromptu. I think MrMuji may be right. You're listening for a jingle that your spectators wont be.

Rinky Dinky, which was a brilliant concept, did have a noisy gimmick, often very noisy. I would often wd 40 it. That being said, I was able to perform ring flight with the RD with or without a coat and have never been burned. Spectators just are not looking for/ or listening for, a noise from your back pocket.

Try to load and ditch on a laugh, that will hide a lot of noise.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

"Try to load and ditch on a laugh" -Dan Paulus

"That's gold jerry, gold!" -Kenny Bania

Thank you, that's what I needed to hear. The obvious solution.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WD 40 is "ok" but if you can find "JB 80" it's twice as good.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Departure Ring Flight (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL