The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » dove production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
Hey it's me again,

I have many books on dove magic now but one thing none of them explains is what kind of material to use for a catgut? Can any of you tell me what the best thing to use is or where to get catgut? Or maybe you can suggest a book or video that does explain it.

Thanks

Thayne Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thayne: you can use fishing line in place of catgut. I personally use wire but that's only my preference.
Where the magic begins
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Thayne,

As David suggested, fishing line is quite standard. The fishing line aisle of a sporting goods store will provide various colors and gauge in black.

However, thin strong black wire allows you to shape the line and remain secured until retrieved.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Something valuable I read from somewhere... use some hair spray on the fishing line and this will help the fishing line to secure it's shape better.
never try, never know
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
The spray is totally unecessary.
Why bother when you have the right gauge wire?
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Well... just some alternatives to explore...

Andy Amyx sells wire for dove production. Looks quite good, check it out.

http://www.andyamyx.com/products.html
never try, never know
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You can go to a dealer if you wish, however every hardware store sells small gauge wire. You can buy 25 feet for a buck and that's enough material for about 50 harnesses. You can also use floral wire. This comes in green, however, when exposed to a flame, it turns black. As to hairspray, as Randy pointed out, it isn't necessary. If you need it to be in a special shape, form it and leave it in the sun for a few hours or use a hair dryer. It will retain it's shape. General Grant markets a special gizmo for this purpose called a Dove Looper but you don't have to have one.
Where the magic begins
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Once again guys,

Thanks for all your help, you guys make an intermediate amateur feel good.

Many thanks,
Thayne Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thayne: Every professional was an amateur once and believe me, they asked the same questions.
Where the magic begins
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Randy and Dave,

I've been using fishing line for about 6 years now, but after reading your suggestions to use wire, I thought I'd give this a shot. The wire works much better!
It's 28 gauge black wire and of course can be shaped into position much better than the fishing line. My stealing is much smoother.
Thanks for the advice!

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I use a combination of fish line and wire. Can't really say which is better. But when used together, feeling for the right loop is a piece of cake.

Cheers,
Alex Tan
Singapore
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There are situation where line is better than wire but it all depends on what you are doing and what works best for you.
Where the magic begins
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

when using black wire won't the audience see what you are doing, or does it all happen to quick?

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you are doing things right, the audience should never see what you are doing regardless of what material you use.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » dove production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL