The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to get Lycra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hi guys!

I really like the look of some of the elastic effects on the Ammar Thread DVDs, but I don't have any of it at the time. I was wondering if there is another place I could find it beside hosiery. You see, I'm only 17 so I can't just go down to the store and buy some hosiery (not to mention how embarassing it would be even if I could) Smile I'd ask my mom to buy me some, but I don't want to have to tell her what it's for (even telling her it's for a magic effect is out.... what would I need women's hosiery for???). So like I was asking, is it possible to get the elastic
"stuff" elsewhere? Thanks!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Alphis,
You can buy invisible thread from any magic shop in your area. There are many kinds of it. The one you are asking for is probably the one I use.

I am using "John Kennedy" brand or if I can not find it "Kennedy" will do. It comes as a thin bundle of many strands together. It is not very expensive, something around 5-6 dollars.

I recommend you to buy them, never waste time buying cheap substitutions. One small package lets you do over 30 shows. Not much, eh?
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
You can get the John LeClaire animator wallet. It's available at http://www.MagicSmith.com

It comes with enough material that when you need more, you can just take a pair of your daughters stockings. Now that's a long way off (I hope).
He who laughs, lasts.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Of course, McBride's Kundalini Rising comes with a goodly supply of that stuff too...dunno how much you need, though.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Tell your mother it's for a joke, that was always my favourite. Or tell her it's to make special pockets in your jacket for cards and stuff.

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
You were asking about invisible ELASTIC, right? Made from Lycra. Not regular invisible thread...

Email me if you want a cheap source for either one. (The elastic is still gonna mean a trip to the hosiery store, but it need not be embarrassing.)

doctoramazo@yahoo.com
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
Yeah I think these guy's are informing you about regular invisible thread and not the lycra elastic that is used to make loops. I bought a spool of the regular lycra from a magic store in my hometown and I have been working with it for awhile now. One thing I can tell you is it is somewhat frustrating to work with so patience is a must. And tying the loops is a difficult job itself if you don't know how to.

I don't know what you want to use it specifically for but there may be better alternatives that you could use. Honestly the lycra is rather shiny and even though it is very thin it does reflect light a lot more than regular IT so please keep that in mind for your tricks. If there is any bright light source near where you are performing it will show up.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Quote:
Honestly the lycra is rather shiny and even though it is very thin it does reflect light a lot more than regular IT so please keep that in mind for your tricks

Lycra sports ware comes in various colours so I would assume that it would hold dye to a certain extent.

phillip
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I have heard others say that they would color the elastic with a black marker and that this did help a little with the effect but that the lycra was a very smooth surface so regardless of color it still had a tendency to reflect light. I suppose that if you were working on a table and knew the color of background it would help to color the string.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Try zebra striping, say black and green or brown. That way, even if it catches the light, the reflecton would not be a straight line.
Phillip
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Just become a Rocky Horror Show fan and she'll understand Smile

Paul.
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Tell your mom you want to rob the next bank Smile

O.K. Silly joke

Go into a store and buy one - whats the matter about that?
Well, as I´m playing in a Theater, this is really normal stuff!
Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Seriously.
This link might help you. read it carefully

http://www.ww1.org.uk/rigging.htm

Phillip
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Jeff-

Trust me on this. Tell your mother that you need it for your magic.

The alternative is to figure out what to tell her if she finds it in your room!

Bob
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Bob,

I would never try to deceive my mom and buy it behind her back. My only question was, "can you get the lycra (cheaply) from another source (other than hosiery)?"

Thanks for the thought, though. Come to think of it, that would be a pretty hard situation to explain! Smile Have a great day!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to get Lycra (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL