The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Wonderland Bill (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
Does anyone have this? Is it a good effect? The descriptions of the effect in the advertisements are kind of confusing. Let me know what you think about it. Thanks.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Awsome effect. It just confuses people. Not a real stunner but it makes people wonder what the heck happened. I love using it.

I guess there's a lot of history behind this effect. I don't know it though. Anyone care to shine light on this?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can you describe the effect?
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I carry this around with me everywhere I go. Smile
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I haven't seen this, but from the description it sounds the same as the "trap door" card (only using a dollar).

Is it?

If it is, what makes it better than just doing the impromptu tear of a card? ( I've been doing the trap door card with good response since sometime in the 80's). Just curious what the rave is about...
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Yep, I also think its just trap door card,

The method is also used in a trick called "star gate" by T. Rogers .

I like the trap door card effect better.

Coz its an effect of card turning face up to face down.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I saw Doc Eason do this in his lecture and I thought it was very interesting, but the asking price was to steep for me.

Bilwonder, any references on "Trapdoor card?"

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
Maybe also the same effect described in Michael Weber`s "Life savers" (a very good book)
Best,
P
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is not ANY of the other effects mentioned. While it is similar in nature, the method is not the same as any of those. In most of the other methods, the spectator must close their eyes while the effect takes place. This one is totally angle proof, and the spectators can burn you and the bill all they want. This is the best of this type of effect. Smile
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I've never had anyone close their eyes for the trap door effect....it happens too quickly. All there is to see is you make a couple of folds and "pop" it's done.

The selling point is they must understand the concept of traveling from one side to the other. It sounds like those with the bill have been successful, but it seems to me it would be more confusing.

Also wondering what kind of patter could be used to justify the use of the bill. With the cards there is always the line about "trick cards" and "trap doors." I haven't seen the patter potential for the dollar. It also seems it would be flimsy...not to be critical of something I haven't seen, this is just why I never thought to buy it...but all the talk has me curious of it's selling points.

Possible selling points may be(???) that there would be no folding or they may handle the bill as much as they like without being able to repeat what you did. The Trap door is like a puzzle they could figure out if left with the card long enough...as with any puzzle.

Trapdoor references are numerous, but there is quite a description in "Life Savers" under "A better Mousetrap." Before that I read of the basic workings in "Self working Paper Magic" by Karl Fulves (a Dover pub) call "The Trapdoor." And also Terri Rogers " StarGate.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
For these topological effects, a must have is Robert Neale's "Folding Money Fooling" - 40$ of magic origamis
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
I love Wonderland Bill and get great reactions with it. It's one of those rare effects that even when you know how to do it, you don't know how it is done! It still baffles me. I do have people ask to examine the note (I use a £5) as the immediate reaction is it must be a fake note. I think with a playing card a reaction may be 'it's a trick card' and there is no disproving that. It can be proved a bank note is genuine. I ask people to stare at the word FIVE on the face of the note as this only disappears from view at the very end of the effect when the work is done.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Here is a link if any of you are intrested in money folding.

http://members.cox.net/crandall11/money/

Cheers Smile
T.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Thanks for the link! Will check it out.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Gary,
I don't follow your logic. If the person would think that a playing card is gaffed due to the effect it causes on the spectator they would also feel the same about the bill. It doesn't matter either way. The spectator is left with the item in their hands and I let them examine the card all they want. In fact I always leave them with the card and tell them that if they ever see me again and want me to do something for their friends to just hand me the card.

To the rest of you that have this effect I asked a while back here if the effect is properly credited. I first came across the card effect in the Magic Menu. It was under the title Paradapt (Parallax Revisited) in the March/April 1992 Issue 10. The effect was by Tabman and he gave credit to David Britland from his booklet called Parallax. It also went onto give nods to Bob Neale for his Trapdoor Card and Teri Rogers for his Stargate both of which are credited in Britland's booklet. Also a heads up was given that Jeff Busby started the whole inside/outside card theme with his "Into the Fouth Dimension".

What I want to know is this; is this effect different than the Paradept routine or is it the Paradept routine with a dollar bill? If it is the latter then should this person be selling this effect?

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
The response I always get with this effect is 'Is it a real £5 note?'. Then people usually scrutenise it, check for the hallmark and the silver strip running through it, etc before handing it back, completely satisfied it is not gaffed. It's just a thought that with a card people may assume it is a trick card (because people know they exist).
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
this effect is very good.
fold away you magicians Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Bringing this topic up Smile

I have a version of this effect that I found in a french magazine (work with card, business card and bill) !
I love this type of effect...
For those who have the "wonderland bill", I have a question to check if the method is the same as mine (before buying):
When the spec hold the door, there is a long and a short distance between the door and the short side of the bill; Does the long/short part switch places after the fold? (Yes, I guess... Smile )

Thanks for you help
Nicolas
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 04:49, Bilwonder wrote:
I haven't seen this, but from the description it sounds the same as the "trap door" card (only using a dollar).

Is it? ... Just curious what the rave is about...

To me, if the effect (on the audience) is identical, then it must be the same as the trap door card with nods to "Stargate" and the others.

The $24 asking price seems high for such a simple thing (I paid $2 for Terri Roger's manuscript) but they do give you a cool video! That must be worth something, although the audience won't care one way or another how you learned it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Wonderland Bill (29 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL