The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Winning magic competitions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
What does everyone think are the essential ingredients for winning stage magic competitions?

It seems to me that the manipulators always seem to win, hence implying that there is still a stereotypical type of magician that people expect.

I wonder if my general magic patter act is the type which will ever win, or am I going to have to become an expert manipulator if I've any chance?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Brian.
Brian
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi

I know what you mean, the manipulators always win the competitions. That's why I changed my act. I thought if they want a classic magician I'll give them one. I then entered a competition dressed as an old magician— top Hat, white gloves, tail, suit, that kinda thing and I actually won. Give them what they want— make a silent act with manipulation, you will get positive feedback I am sure.
Luke (Leopold) Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Hey
I have been in many competitions, and I know what most judges look for. And yes, manipulations always help. Most of your score is based on:

Skill Level

Entertainment Value

Magic content

Originality

and also make sure you have a wide variety of magic in your show. But as long as you are entertaining and the audience likes you, you should be fine.

Keep these in mind, hope they help!
Good Luck Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
It's very interesting that skill should count so much, of course the routine should be good, but you would think that as a group, we (magicians), would want to make originality the most important thing that you can do?

Of course if we all just want to be clones skill is the best way to stand out!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
A basic knowledge of sleights can be used in a huge number of different contexts. There are many different skills in magic, and the more of them you are proficient at, the more routines you can perform.

I am glad to see originality is on the list. Creativity is important. Note that many winners of the larger competitions were both proficient with many skills AND they created new effects. Michael Ammar comes to mind. He created a new matrix routine where the cards moved instead of coins underneath. He fooled all the watching magicians who were expecting the same old thing!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
A lot depends on the performer & the mood they set. I've won a good number of competitions with simply a deck of cards & wide variety of knuckle-busting sleights.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Hi Brian, How are you? I see you have recovered from the Northern Magic Circle competition which we were both in.

quote: "It seems to me that the manipulators always seem to win, hence implying that there is still a stereotypical type of magician that people expect."

For me, having been in quite a few different competitions, I have to agree with you on this and that is why I put a lot of work in my act to be able to do manipulations. An audience still likes to see a manipulator, as from their point of view they can see that it isn't something that they could just get up and do.

Quote: "I wonder if my general magic patter act is the type which will ever win, or am I going to have to become an expert manipulator if I've any chance?"

Patter acts have, and also do, win competitions, but it is harder. I am no expert manipulator but all I did was put in a small amount and it seemed to go OK.

My advice Brian is, keep at it and do what you are comfortable with. I know of someone who didn't win a competition but got more bookings than the person that did—and that was in the IBM competition in the UK, worth thinking about! I use all competitions as a showcase and if I win then that is a bonus.

Hope this helps

Stuart.
Derby Magic Circle.
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
Hi Stuart,

The Northern Magic Circle Competition was certainly good fun (even if it was on so late after the junior competition).

I agree that competitions are a good opportunity in which to be seen.

The act I did in that competition was one I more or less put together in 1996, which has been modified slightly but not greatly over the years, and was designed as a general cabaret act for lay people. I don't really think it's a competition act as such, and also it really needed far more than the 10 minutes allowed to do it all (which was apparent by the fact that I didn't have time to even start the headchopper routine at the end).

I'm certainly keen to put together a silent act (even though I do like the sound of my own voice) Smile and if I have time to put together a different act, I'll certainly enter again next year.

Congratulations on winning by the way—in our discussions in the car after the competition, we'd decided that you'd be the winner. (Although we didn't think I'd be as low as fourth! Still it was good experience.)

Brian.
Brian
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I am no expert, having never entered a "big" magic competition. But I usually enter the contests at the few local and regional gatherings we have around here. I never enter to win (though winning is nice) but enter to show my fellow magi's what I am working on at the moment.
I've won a half a dozen times or so over the past few years and always with a patter act. Well not an act per se, but a trick, as the contest time limits usually keep me from entering more than one trick.
I always enter an original effect that I have created or adapted. I think one of the reasons I do as well as I do is that I stand out from the other performers who are doing manipulation acts. Last weekend at a small convention there were eleven acts in the stage contest. At least nine of them were manipulation acts. I came in Second. First and Third were given to themed manipulation routines.
I would rather win a contest for doing something I enjoy than to put an act together of things I don't like doing just so I would stand a better chance of winning.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I've watched Payne kick a lot of butts in magic contests! He has beat out several manipulators. Very good ones at that!

Take Payne's advice though. He's a brilliant man, and knows what he's talking about!

Dave

http://www.DaveWomach.com
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
May I echo what Payne said,
"I would rather win a contest for doing something I enjoy than to put an act together of things I don't like doing just so I would stand a better chance of winning."

As a judge for several years, I spoke with contestants who shared their frustrations because their act was not commercial or appeared to fit into the winning categories.
Yet I was impressed with their act and effort to be different.

Be aware that each contest is different by the rules used by the judging process.

Winning first place is not what it's all about. But rather it is the experience. Taking the challenge. Making the appearance. Exhibiting your talents. Allowing others to get to know you.

I know of several acts that have not yet made it to first place, yet I have been very impressed with their performance. So I asked them what did they want out of this contest?
They said, "To gain entry to be a featured act at other magic conventions."

That was easy. Through networking, I introduced them to the key people who booked the acts for the conventions. It didn't take long before they were working those conventions and getting paid.

My point is, if they had not entered the contest, I would have not seen their act and had the chance to know them and their talent.

When you compete, do the stuff that is yours and do it well. You may not win first place, but you may get what you want.

I will be cheering you on!

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Steven Best
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Steven Best
Payne:

Great work at that competition by the way!
Really enjoyed your presentation.

hope to see you perform again soon,

-SB
Steven Best
Vancouver, Canada
www.StevenBest.com
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
This site is addicting
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-06-19 05:11, stevenbest wrote:
Payne:

Great work at that competition by the way!
Really enjoyed your presentation.

hope to see you perform again soon,

-SB

Thanks Dave and Steve for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed my performance.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I know I never was in a Competition but I do have a few ideas from which I know haven't been seen yet but will be as soon as I get up on Stage once again. Don,
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I have won a few magic comps and can tell you that you're right that manipulation acts usually win. This isn't because they are manipulation acts, but because they contain skill and are entertaining (if good)!

You can have patter acts that beat off manip acts but they have to be something pretty special. It takes one rubbish joke in a patter act to ruin the entire thing. With manipulation you can drop stuff but you can compensate by making a table float or 21 doves appear from a hankey. It is a spectacular form of magic, but it can be beaten so don't change just to win!

It really isn't worth it and chances are if you're better at doing what you're doing, you are more likely to win with that than if you change to something you are not used to!

In close up comps, I really think it is skill that tips the balance in most cases!

All the best
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I agree with Steve in that a well put together act usually has some manipulation in it and is more likely to win but not just because there is manipulation present.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I think the main thing is to maked sure your act shows off skill, is entertaining and the main thing... DON'T GO INTO A COMPETITION TO WIN IT! This may seem silly but it will give you a better sense of who you are if your goal is to entertain the audience and do your best as opposed to "Doing what will win."

May you never win "The Lottery,"
Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
ekozuch
View Profile
Veteran user
argentina
329 Posts

Profile of ekozuch
I think there in nothing more important than Originality , I mean there are many magicians that do some effects with incredible Skill Level,Entertainment Value or Magic content but a few that make something really NEW .

Smile
K-Max
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
49 Posts

Profile of K-Max
Personally I have almost completely removed manipulations from my contest piece because I'm getting kind of tired of seeing 6 or 7 guys come out, make a big deal out of showing their hands empty and then producing cards. What is original about buying the McBride tapes, taking the moves you like, and putting them together in a new order. No story-line, no emotional involvement. At least for me.

That being said, I still do those manips all the time for lay audiences. Simply because they love them and I have fun doing them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » Winning magic competitions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL