The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Refinishing a wood box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jnana
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jnana
I came across a used silverwear box and want to refinish it. I have someone to do the inside and have sanded it down. Can anyone advise me on aging it. It was a very dark ugly color, would like to go med dark. I have left the scratchs and dings in the wood in case this would help give it an aged appearance. I have never refinished anything so anything would help. Thanks

I got hold of some info on how to do this. Hope it comes out good.
When I feel blue I start to breath again
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
do not forget to use some of the brush on, wipe off stains, and even after it dries, a little steel wool or fine sandpaper to give it worn spots.
Also, there is a crackle finish medium available in most craft stores for that very old varnish look, you need to paint an undercoat, then the crackle, then a top coat, the top coat is the one that gives the crazed and crackled appearance.
If you are looking to make something that has been used "hard" do not forget to let it have some water spotting (momma SAID to use the coasters!)
Good luck! I am sure it will come out fine!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
R i c h T
View Profile
New user
U.K
18 Posts

Profile of R i c h T
One note about crackle glaze though, it does tend to give a very uniform effect. The crackled finish does look good, but I personally feel that kaytracy's other suggestions about staining, sanding and water spotting would produce a more authentic aged feel.

Perhaps rather than varnish, you might consider an antique wax finish?
I guess it all depends on the kind of aged effect you are after.
That's the whole problem with science. You've got a bunch of empiricists trying to describe things of unimaginable wonder. - Calvin (& Hobbes)
Jnana
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jnana
Thanks for the tips. I plan on looking at some stains and finishes today to do this. I really like the ideas about giving it an aged worn look. They are just what I am looking for. Thanks again.
When I feel blue I start to breath again
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I almost forgot, old wood, being an organic thing, will take on odors and smells. These need NOT be unpleasant!
Try some damp peat moss, or even some oak moss essential oil. Think about the things you have handled and how they smelled to you. It need not be strong to have a reaction from folks, remember, the more of the senses you involve in things the more you get reactions. Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Look here. Lots of good tips for aging props.

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/lectures_index.htm

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you are looking for durability stay away from varnish. Professional refinishers (of which I am one) almost without exception will refinish furniture in a lacquer finish. Needs to restore or conserve an item may lead them to use other finishes, but for ease and durability lacquer is very good.

The first question anyone should have asked is: What kind of wood is the box made of?

That will be the determining factor in what kind of stain to use. Pine does not take penetrating stains well at all and you have to tint the finish to get the color you want. Most hardwoods take stain well, but each has their own characteristics.

You seem to want to "age" it. That can mean a lot of things. (30 plus years ago people "antiqued" furniture by painting it in streaky pastel colors.) If it is to look beat up it is pretty simple to beat it up some more, put dark stain on it, sand the high spots off, and then stain to the over all color you want. I personally would avoid crackle finishes just because they look fake (which they are). If the prop is for the stage it may be OK, but for close up it looks fake.

Another finish you may want to try is Tung Oil. It is very durable, but takes a long time to dry and may require several coats to get an even shiny finish. The nice thing is that you can apply it with a rag and can stop at any point when the sheen looks right to you (i.e. the top might only get one coat while the sides get several, indicating wear on the top).

You have to experiment to get the look you want. Refinishers do even after 20 or more years.

Stay away from craft and paint stores. Look for stores catering to professional stains and finishes. (If you live in Seattle check out Daley's.) Talk to the people in the store. They should know their products and will be very helpful.

And don't use a brush if you can help it. No matter how careful you are they leave streaks in the finish.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Refinishing a wood box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL