The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Problem with digital disolve (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hiya

wonder if you can help me here, when I am displaying the silver half dollar I have had on mnumerous occasions that they can see something not right with the half dollar, don't want to give anything away here but are there are tips from flashing the certain gimmick when displaying the half dollar? or should I just keep the coins in constant motion to avoid them looking intently at the coins?
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I find this to be a problem with real silver gaffs because of the contrast. Not so much with clad coin gaffs. You could have the spectators looking down at the coin instead of from the side. It depends on the effect though.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I apologize. I was thinking of a different gaff.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
It is less noticeable with clad coins!

It's all about prop management and the orientation of you gaffs! Using a mirror to adjust your angles will help but IMO video works best!

Mick
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
What do you mean by clad coins, dull coins? and the underside of the gimmick maybe a little tarnished will help I suppose?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Clad coins are the post 1964 non silver coins we have now!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I too have the same issue... To the point where I don't do this effect. Which is sad the effect is great I just cant shake my angles. And I don't want to perform this ala Coinone angle...
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
If you take a file and file down the milling a bit on clad Kennedy's (non-silver) you will get a nice match for the slippery sam.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 10:07, kissdadookie wrote:
If you take a file and file down the milling a bit on clad Kennedy's (non-silver) you will get a nice match for the slippery sam.

No need to file down any coins.

If you look at a quarter you can see the copper band. Just place this band down towards the English penny. It will help the penny shell blend in with the quarter when doing the quarter display.

Hope this helps somebody.

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Yup! I've had people really inspect the edge of the half-dollar because they saw the "copper shelf". My daughter who sees so much magic she is willing to bust my chops said she saw the copper. But upon inspecting the edge of the half dollar saw it had a seam of a copper color in it (clad coin). I'm kinda wishy wasy on it. It bugs that they can see "it", yet when examined they think the "clad" is what they saw. I'm just not sure I'm ok with that.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
It is the nature of the effect to be on "on flat" to your spectator. This limits the number and location of those spectators. So do it when conditions are right and don't do it when they are not. Same way you can't do a Asrah at the beach.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-03-17 13:24, KirkG wrote:
Same way you can't do a Asrah at the beach.

Pesky wind! lol..
Douglas Lippert
NYVetteGuy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of NYVetteGuy
I havent had any issues with Digital Dissolve...maybe I'm lucky....
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I have not had any issues either... in my experience no one has noticed it at all..just another coin trick....the hardest part is getting rid of the shell but a magnet works great
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hi,
Same here-No problems with anybody noticing the gaff.
But-If you are worried about it flashing or being noticed, and without altering your gaff or coin, cup your hand and fingers.

Have the set up gaffus on your fingers, cup them, and point your fingers downward.
That way, the specs will be looking at more of the face of the half, rather than maybe getting a glimpse of the copper shell underneath. Even though it should only be a sliver.

A slight movement of the hand doesn't hurt, as long as you keep everything under control.

Sometimes-Not saying you-What you notice, while you're performing the trick, goes completely un-noticed by the specs.

Be confident with the gaff-And nobody should be the wiser.
How many layman even know what a sliding shell is anyway?
Never heard of it.
Right?

Jim
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
375 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
No one has a clue what a hell coin is, a locking set or a copper silver coin....must laymen couldn't tell you the difference between a 64 kennedy and another except it looks shinier...a slight cup of the fingers like in a standard finger palm looks perfect 1000 per cent un noticeable
NYVetteGuy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of NYVetteGuy
The easiest way I have found is, I wear a PK ring when I perform Digital Dissolve and am able to keep the sliding [ in my hand by making it just stick to the PK ring and being able to ditch it in my pocket with my hand completely flat but away from the view of the specs, I make a fluid motion to place the half in the specs hand with my palm down retaining the ] on the ring...
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

I also came up with the P^ ring idea independently, and it does work great.

I perform the transpo, show both coins in my right hand, then I toss them into my left to let them examine them. When I toss the coins, the sh3ll sticks to the P^ ring, so I don't have to fingerpalm anything. Hand goes into my pocket at any point during their examination to ditch gaff.
Douglas Lippert
NYVetteGuy
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of NYVetteGuy
Quote:
On 2010-04-01 01:10, Douglas Lippert wrote:
I also came up with the P^ ring idea independently, and it does work great.

I perform the transpo, show both coins in my right hand, then I toss them into my left to let them examine them. When I toss the coins, the sh3ll sticks to the P^ ring, so I don't have to fingerpalm anything. Hand goes into my pocket at any point during their examination to ditch gaff.

Great minds think alike Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I keep my distance a bit from the spec. It is tempting to get real close to them, but an extra 2 feet can mean a good deal at times!

Great idea using the ring, btw!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Problem with digital disolve (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL