The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best Mentalism Tricks with Tamariz Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Waterloophai
View Profile
Special user
Belgium
941 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Card tricks are my hobby for more than 40 years. The last two years I do nothing else than searching for the "Holy Grail" (the perfect acaan). You may say it has become an obsession and I think I am beginning to come very close to my goal.
One of the conditions for a 99,99% perfect acaan (the 100% perfect acaan doesn't exist, apart from 1 in 52 occasions statistictly) is that it is performed with a regular deck (of course stacked and memorized) and without any gaf card or locators.
I challenge everybody to repeat the second trick exactly as seen on the video for me.It is not possible. There must be parts that are not filmed.
By the way, Noobini wrote wise words a few posts ago in this thread.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Special user
Belgium
941 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I just sent an email to Penguin Magic:
"""""""""
Hallo,

I am Danny Crauwels from Belgium. I saw your advert for Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz (Book) and watched the demo movie on the same webpage.
I agree that Mnemonica is a fantastic book that is worth bying but…. the second effect on the movie is, in my humble opinion, misleading.
I challenge everybody to perform the SECOND trick on the movie for me in the same circomstances as showed in the movie. It is not possible !
There are cuts are parts that are not filmed.
No offence, just making a remark that is ment positively.
Greetings from Belgium,
Danny
"""""""""""""
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
273 Posts

Profile of The.Amazing.Boy
Thanks to all of you, I think you got my point. and waterloophai, I'm interested in the replies you'll get ! post them here if possible.

cohiba : what you noticed is interesting, I also noticed that in some perfomances of acaan the performer seems relieved at the end, maybe due to circumstances he used to create the effect. berglas never shoes that in what I saw, doing this often would have trained him to control his reactions I guess.

For those who are looking for a peek for the trick page 82 of mnemonica I think I have a good one, very natural, combined with a type of pass that really looks like you're doing nothing but giving the cards to the spectator. Can I post it here ? (I don't exactly know the rules about that) or if anyone is interested just PM me !
Be Cool Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2067 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Count, I am not saying that the video presentation is not doctored. I'm saying that at the point he riffles the deck at 2:22 is where 'the move' would normally happen. They obviously have the card and number arranged ahead of time.

I'm not defending the video--it's obviously doctored to show the cleanest possible verison of the effect. But I am saying you can do a clean version of ACAAN where the spectator would swear that it happened just like on the video.
Steven Keyl

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
273 Posts

Profile of The.Amazing.Boy
Yes you're right with that, but there is always a hanky panky thing around live performances and filmed performances. some magicians feel right to edit their videos because it "must" look like what an audience will remember and not like the actual performance. I really don't know what to think here since it looks logic but tricky at the same time.
Be Cool Smile
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
739 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
My belief is that they just had the spectators (Penguin employees) give the card and number that he was prepared for. Like Steven said, a well performed ACAAN will look almost identical to this - it should look the exactly that way to a lay person - ALMOST the same to a magician.

My observation earlier about the performer's reaction was simply that his reaction wasn't the same at the end of both tricks, which seemed to be a result of the "doctoring". The first trick he actually performed as anyone could perform it (no doctoring), and he seemed satisfied that he did it well. After the second trick, I believe the spectators were "in" on it, and so the performer didn't really do anything - he was playing to the camera. His reaction didn't seem to have the same satisfaction, because he knew he was cheating.
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
273 Posts

Profile of The.Amazing.Boy
Yes, I thought a bit of that too when thinking of the doctoring. so my first understanding of your point was something else.

anyway, I'm learning mnemonica now. Using the visual method, old deck in the left hand, a bunch of markers in the right. thanks Tamariz !
Be Cool Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2067 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Cohiba, I'm certain you are correct that the card and number were prearranged. And after watching it again I had to laugh because your observation was right on--he definitely was looking guilty.

Amazing Boy brings up a good point about videos in general. I think that if a magician is trying to get business for themselves then edited video footage is fine because the audience for the videos are laypeople.

When trying to sell books and DVDs, though, retailers should be held to a higher standard. I don't think that complete unedited footage is required for a given effect, especially if that footage might expose the method upon repeated viewings. However, and this is especially true of one trick DVDs, demos are so edited that they don't accurately reflect the nature of the effect.

I don't know how to delineate what the line should be, but I do know that many of the demos cross it. And they do so to make the trick look more impossible than it really is, rather than to just protect the method.
Steven Keyl

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
It's kind of odd to me that a book like Mnemonica would inspire the need to make a video at all. It kind of cheapens it. It's not exactly hipster street magic territory anyway. You have to be a pretty big nerd to read all of that book. As I said... I am reading it now. Smile

A thorough description I understand, but a demo video? It's not a trick after all. Maybe it's just odd to me because nobody demos anything in my country, except really cheesy TV shop type product like knives you never have to sharpen and battery operated fishing lures.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
273 Posts

Profile of The.Amazing.Boy
To continue steven's point : we then enter the commercial view of magic, which seems to sell the magic and not the trick itself, which is kind of odd because we buy the trick, not the magic. one thing is sure and must be remembered to some shops : the magic is in the performer's hands, not in the trick we buy.
also, because this line is often crossed, we, performers comment things on forums like the magic café for a non profit issue, for the safety of our magic. and this is the good thing to do. in fact, I think things don't really need to be changed, it is just our part to be wise and think twice, as magicians should always do. but on the other hand, shops have to sell their products, don't they ? I would probably be tempted to do the same if I was running a shop.

for noobini's point :
It may be good, still, to do a video. for exemple, the corinda's demo video is just a talk by oz pearlman, no trick is done. Just the aura of the book is shown. So they could have done the same thing for mnemonica ! you're right, their demo is kind of stupid, as you said, this is not "a trick". and funny thing I just noticed : they show a few seconds our dear fellow performer Juan Tamariz. why the hell did they not show a performance from him instead of doing a doctored misleading demo ? Tamariz's performances shows easily how good his book is. *** penguin !
Be Cool Smile
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Yes, I agree. Very well said all of it!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
801 Posts

Profile of helder
I love this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocxXHmp2Zzk&feature=related I'm already studying it. What's the best resource for the classic force in a fan?
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
As far as mentalism using a stacked deck goes I cannot think of many tricks that are stack dependant. I am meaning pure mentalism rather than mental magic.

A few things I have played with and like a lot are;
Simple divination type effects
Diapola by paul vigil (I know his effect is impromptu but it is even better when mixed with a stacked deck.)
Memory Jumble
Total memory (the 31 card version in mnemonica.)
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
As far as mentalism using a stacked deck goes I cannot think of many tricks that are stack dependant. I am meaning pure mentalism rather than mental magic.

A few things I have played with and like a lot are;
Simple divination type effects
Diapola by paul vigil (I know his effect is impromptu but it is even better when mixed with a stacked deck.)
Memory Jumble
Total memory (the 31 card version in mnemonica.)
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
I must concur with the advice previously given that the revelation of any one card.

But from a mentalism perspective - the Aaronson "invisible deck" routine that can be done with Tamariz's stack is also phenomenal.

-Raahul
teetacat
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of teetacat
On the bottom of page 82 of Mnemonica for the classic acaan, it says to subtract 8 from 53. Shouldn't it be 8 from 52? When I subtract from 53, I'm always 1 card off.

Take care,

William Bragg
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Special user
Chicago area
945 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, teetacat wrote:
On the bottom of page 82 of Mnemonica for the classic acaan, it says to subtract 8 from 53. Shouldn't it be 8 from 52? When I subtract from 53, I'm always 1 card off.

Take care,

William Bragg


I think you are correct, as I've wondered that myself.

In Asi Wind's AACAAN (highly recommended), he teaches to subtract from 52. Must be a misprint.
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd



funny pre-show announcements sample!



Tim Hannig Store



[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
175 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2016, Tim Hannig wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, teetacat wrote:
On the bottom of page 82 of Mnemonica for the classic acaan, it says to subtract 8 from 53. Shouldn't it be 8 from 52? When I subtract from 53, I'm always 1 card off.
William Bragg

I think you are correct, as I've wondered that myself.

In Asi Wind's AACAAN (highly recommended), he teaches to subtract from 52. Must be a misprint.


PLEASE do the math
As Michael Close quotes many times in his Workers books: YOU MUST SUBTRACT FROM 53

THE WISHING TRICK Workers Number 5 page 594 digital (print 126)
(When you do any calculations like this from the bottom of the deck you must subtract from 53 rather than 52.)

The Invisible Deck 607: "We subtract 17 from 27 (this is another example of having to add one to the stack number of the card on the face of the deck) and we get 10."
The Smiling Mule 612
The Card Stab page 625
JAZZIN page 633

math is magic!
Larry
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
648 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the confusion on the math here stems from whether you are cutting a card to the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. Subtracting from 52 will tell you what card needs to go to the bottom of the deck (e.g. In a simple ACAAN, if the card is position 12 and needs to go to position 25, we have 25-12=13, and then 52-13=39, which means you need to cut the 39th card to the bottom, as that cuts the necessary 13 cards to the top. Likewise, if subtracting from 53, you know which card to cut to the top, which is 40. The result is the same.) the reason for 53 in the Wishing trick is because the effect is a named card coming to the top of the deck. I find for many other effects I prefer using 52 as I can glimpse I cut the appropriate card to the bottom (also, I often simplify the math by subtracting from 50 and then adding 2 to the result, as I find this more intuitive to work with, and adding 2 is easier than 3).
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
175 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the confusion on the math here stems from whether you are cutting a card to the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. Subtracting from 52 will tell you what card needs to go to the bottom of the deck (e.g. In a simple ACAAN, if the card is position 12 and needs to go to position 25, we have 25-12=13, and then 52-13=39, which means you need to cut the 39th card to the bottom, as that cuts the necessary 13 cards to the top. Likewise, if subtracting from 53, you know which card to cut to the top, which is 40. The result is the same.) the reason for 53 in the Wishing trick is because the effect is a named card coming to the top of the deck. I find for many other effects I prefer using 52 as I can glimpse I cut the appropriate card to the bottom (also, I often simplify the math by subtracting from 50 and then adding 2 to the result, as I find this more intuitive to work with, and adding 2 is easier than 3).

Yes you're right sgtgrey,
I was incomplete in my statement and I needed to be more precise in my point.
Choose the need for the formula and calculate your math based on the direction from either the top or the bottom of the deck.
BUT
-keep it simple-
I use 53 most often in the Invisible Card as my deck is split at 26. I have to calculate for the sum to equal 53 to find the chosen face-down card.
It is a matter of perspective and I was looking at it from my "glass half empty" point of view.
Sincere apologies
Larry
avasatu
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of avasatu
You are doing yourself a disservice if you have not carefully read every single on of Simon Aronson's books twice through. His memorized and stacked deck work in particular is genius.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best Mentalism Tricks with Tamariz Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2016 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL