The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Thought of Card in Balloon - Volpe & Titanas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Great effect, and MagicSanta you are right I actually did not expect that at all. I was pleasantly surprised and looking for something a lot more advanced. At first I was disappointed with the set-up because I wanted to do this in restaurants and close-up acts, but I was hoping that when I kept on watching the video that there would be an alternative. Of course there was at the end. I may also make a mini version of the ESP symbols variation for strolling. I would still like to do the full method close-up and strolling somehow, and will be playing with my own set-ups. I don't like the fact that I basically need an entire suitcase for one effect.

I also believe the system could be "condensed" and I am working on that. In fact all you would need is the "cards" themselves which would make clean up a lot easier and even end clean. May take a few seconds longer though to do the "work." But all in all I love the concept and idea. I could just a suitcase for this in a parlor show, but would somehow have to find a way to get the case in and out of the show. I think the impromptu method will kill as much as the regular method unless it is an audience of magicians. As far as laymen are concerned, I feel the orignal method is kind of running without being chased. But it sure will fry those who are able to fully grasp what has happened. So as long as other spectators do not assume stoogery.

I figured everything out before I got with the exception of one thing which is indeed ingenious. I knew there was something but I did not know it was "that." Smile I also already thought about the variation inside the clear balloon which I also suspected may have been the method for the original, which I am kinda glad it wasn't. Nonetheless it is a cool method. Overall I am very pleased with this based on my first impression.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Kakuna
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Kakuna
I'm a huge fan of the mystery box, so as you probably guessed I LOVE Luca's effect. It's very well thought, and more "clean" than using the MB. I never actually performed it, but I intend to add it to my stage shows. This is one of those things that I would perform on tv. This is perfect.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Thanks Sirbrad and Kakuna.
Please let me know as soon you will perform!
:)
alexr
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of alexr
Here I go, digging up an old discussion...

I recently purchased and enjoyed consuming this product. I love the idea and plan on incorporating a version into my own work. I think that having a spectator hold a prediction throughout an entire routine is strong. Unknowingly holding a prediction the entire time is even stronger.

Problem is this - the setup, scripting and blocking for my own personal adaptation of this for my show involves bouncing a balloon around the audience, used ultimately to choose a spectator, and rather than a card, I'm going with a single predicted thought inside the balloon. The routine construction is going well, but I finally went out and acquired some balloons to work on the mechanics and I ran into some problems. I visited four stores - three biggies being Target, Wal-Mart and Kmart - as well as a local party store. I picked up as many balloons as I could so as to find the ones that would be most appropriate, only to discover that virtually all of them are almost 100% transparent when blown up. The best that I could do was a "punching balloon", from which I removed the elastic. But even still, I struggle with a transparency issue with that one as well, just not *as* much.

I emailed Luca about this, explaining the situation, and he very promptly returned my message with a very kind reply. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of solution or advice contained in the message because, as he stated, he knows of a lot of people in the United States using the routine, none of which have run into this problem.

He did mention that I could use the transparent balloon version included in the video, but frankly, I'd rather not.

I could conceivably control the handling of the balloon - and thereby the attention directed to - through spectator management, but honestly, I'd like to eliminate that issue. I'd like to be able to introduce the balloon into the audience without fear of controlling it (save for the possibility of busting it) again until it's back up on stage.

So my question for all of you is this: How transparent are *your* "opaque" balloons? Do you have a source for genuinely opaque balloons? What is your experience with using balloons that may have a level of transparency where one is not wanted?

Keep in mind that audience members will be handling the balloon, it will be sailing above heads, and there are stage lights that are bright.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you may have!
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I see no one has answered your question here. Maybe you should have put in in a new thread. Anyway, check out qualatex or sempertex balloons. I'm sure there is a dealer near you.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
By the way, I did finally get around to reviewing this. Here it is: Review of Thought of Card in Balloon
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
WOW, June 2015 and I'm just now hearing about the Thought of Card in Balloon by Luca. Tried going to your link Jeff for a Review, which you posted way back in 2010, but you must have taken it down. There's only ONE review on Penguim, which I find surprising. I'm giving this consideration, although I'm already familiar with the method and would rework it for Kid Shows. I've been a Balloon Twister for 30 years, and away from magic for 15, so just now rewriting a New Show, which will be totally themed around using Balloons. Seems to be lots of good material out there, that just needs to be reworked a bit for Kids. I also have a Killer idea for a routine with a Clear Balloon and Crayons. Trying hard to find a way of doing this without gimmicks, as I'm not a gimmick guy. Anyway gang, thanks for the reviews on this. Just might consider it.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Another one who's bumping this thread. I always liked the "thought of card in balloon," and finally ordered the DVD. My question is, does anyone manufacture and sell the "thing" that is needed? Yes, the DVD explains how to make it myself, but if there's one out there I'd love to know.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Is this routine published in any of Luca's books?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Thought of Card in Balloon - Volpe & Titanas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL