The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Costume Help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lancastermagic16
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of lancastermagic16
Hello,
What do you think of a female magician wearing a pink top hat? I'd like to wear a hat; something other than a plain black one...but don't want to look like a cheesy halloween costume either.
Also, anyone know what the material "permalux" is in hats or what type of material a good one should be made out of?
Any help on these questions or any suggestions you have on a costume for a female magician is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It would look nice if it fits your character.

I would first advise getting a regular top hat. Next get the type and color material you are looking for at a fabric store, and glue/sew it to the top hat.

Another way is to get a regular top hat, and take it to a airbrush shop. Describe to the painter what style and design you are looking for. Have the painter draw it to make sure it fits your interest first.

Imagine the tail tux a Ring Master wears. Pink will be good. Pink shorts and shoes will look nice too. The hat will blend in if it is pink too. The blouse can be white.
lancastermagic16
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Oh, I hadn't though about getting a regular one and changing the color...Thanks for all the ideas. Smile
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Here are a couple of places that sell top hats. The first one is the most expensive, but the hat is already a nice color and is made for a woman. The other two are white, but I think the satin hats could easily be dyed. My Own Tuxedo has the best price.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/ladies_19t......her.html
http://www.gpuniforms.com/apages/tuxedoahats.html
http://www.myowntuxedo.com/prod-Classic_......527.aspx

Good Luck!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lancaster,

You have options not available to all.

First, if you are indeed true formal, the rules are real and set. "Aged learnings" and "classic formal" leave little to change without making social mistakes that may allow no forgiveness. As a male WASP (White Anglo-Saxton Protestant) society gives me little or NO leeway in formal dress. If I were female or some other ethic group member, the world would be more forgiving. Therefore, the terms "Black Tie" or "White Tie" are almost uniforms by the book. The slightest variation is a social mistake and violation a male WASP would never outlive.

However, a stage costume is quite another animal! Costumes are act specific! You can break all the rules, so long as you don't insult your audience, and it is just part of the staging of the character. (Rubber sole shoes are SO comfortable!) They can even be functional!

Rodeo clowns wear what appear to be funny clown costumes. Nothing fits and is easily torn away. Then watch for the differences when the bull fighting begins. The boots are exchanged for baseball shoes with cleats. (Occasionally, the clown will need to run up the bull's head or down his back to save a cowboy.) Slipping down anywhere can mean very serious injury or death for the cowboy or the clown. The clown must be in position to protect the cowboy from the bull. The "jeans" will come off very readily to improve speed or to use to obstruct the bull's vision. It is not just a funny costume. It has to work on the real job at hand. The hat is also a piece of bull fighting equipment. It is often used as a decoy or alternative target for the bull.

There is no reason a magic stage costume can't be the same. Just don't pretend to be in classic formal dress if you are not. On stage I have had some wild Tux-cut and colorful costumes I could never wear in the hotel lobby or a restaurant. On stage they were in place. (Some I even sold or gave to restaurant busboys when I finished with them!)

Go for the pink top hat, if you like. It's your show. Make it special!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe that Norm Neilsen is still making custom color top hats for people.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Good advise above.

Given your original question, we don't know who your character is or whether she would look correct in a top hat, never mind a pink one. Don't put the cart before the horse -- make sure you understand your character first, and then figure out what she would wear at the venues she performs, and then decide whether a pink top hat fits in there.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LOL! Logic in magic? Why not?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
lancastermagic16
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Thanks for the links to the hats, the first one's amazing looking.
& Yes I'm getting that I need to make sure it fits my character, even though I don't really have a completely seperate character, it's more myself... performing.
But that's the main point I'm getting from everyone (on here & everywhere else) that it's not just how the stuff looks but whether I think it fits who I'm trying to be on stage. I was finding that a little difficult because like I said, I don't actually have one completely seperate character that I am on stage.
Thanks again for all the advice though; very helpful.
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
I think that it takes time to develop your character. There have been times when a costume has completely changed how I felt about myself and has helped to lead me down the path of character development. Like you, I loved the first hat. It is a top hat, but there is nothing masculine about it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy never posts here (or anywhere else) as a rule. But she loves to "play dress up" so the hats would be on her "want list".

Thanks for the resources.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Costume Help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL