The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Electronics for Magicians (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This is a new book from the author of Naked Mentalism,Jon 'Tomo'Thompson.

At £8,99 and 64 pages it is a steal!

What is it?

Well, it is a brilliantly understated (as only the Brits can do) and in many ways subversive book about how to make your own electronic devices for magic and mentalism.

Tomo takes you through the basic components, circuits, safety,and how to solder, and then shows you a few projects to make.

The possibilities that emerge from this book are astounding...antiques, boxes, wands, you name it, can be used and combined with the knowledge in this book, and you do not need a degree in electronic engineering!

http://stores.lulu.com/booksbytomo
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
This sounds right up may alley. I am currently producing a few electronic items myself. Would be good to know a bit more info on what the projects are (without revealing too much of course).

Luke
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The ebook is a toolkit, so you get taken through the ins and outs of how to create the items that you'll put into boxes, torches, pens etc...but you do get the plans on how to make a special kind of pen or wand, a cueing device and a torch effect...

see the ebook as teaching you how to fish, rather than being given an overcooked cod..
I've asked to be banned
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I prefer haddock...

Peace & Love

Matt
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Ah ok, sounds very similar to Lebanon Circle's 'Compendium of Bizarre Magic'. May have to pick this up anyways though... Thanks Iain.

Luke
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
It is nothing like the compendium, it is a step by step primer...
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Thanks for the review chaps.

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works. It'll have all kinds of useful gadgets in it: a metal detector, range finder, sound-activated trigger, to name but three, plus yet more strange, interesting but above all useful components. And no, you won't have had to have read Volume I or have a degree in electronic engineering to understand it. Just build and go perform miracles!
Paul Spaniels
View Profile
Loyal user
Hull, UK
249 Posts

Profile of Paul Spaniels
I have to say I really love the concept behind this document and I've been looking forward to its release for a long while now.
Now it's here and it's just as brilliant as I expected it to be.
Great work Jon - nicely written, photographs and diagrams aplenty, and above all else, very, very interesting to read.
This book gets your head spinning with ideas for effects (well it has mine anyway!). It truly is inspirational. Many times in the past I've thought I wish there was a specific device available to do this or that, the idea of being able to make one for myself now is awesome.

I should also mention that Jon's instructions and explanations are very clear and easy to follow. I've read a few books on beginning electronics and I've yet to come across one that doesn't bombard you almost immediately with words the author seems to've forgotten you don't actually know yet. Not the case here at all - kudos for that, Jon.

In short, I love this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's anything else out there like it? Not to my knowledge at least. So I think I can say, it's probably about time!

Cheers
Paul Spaniels
View Profile
Loyal user
Hull, UK
249 Posts

Profile of Paul Spaniels
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 07:25, Jon_Thompson wrote:

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works.

Well I don't wish to hurry you mate, but, hurry up! LOL
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I'll have to check it out.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 16:27, Paul Spaniels wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 07:25, Jon_Thompson wrote:

Now the basics are out of the way, volume II is already in the works.

Well I don't wish to hurry you mate, but, hurry up! LOL

I hear you. There's also another volume of Naked Mentalism on the way.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
I bought it. It appears to be well worth the $$$ for the information, as DrTodd stated. Now lets see if I burn my workshop down trying to build something ;-)

Dave Birtwell
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I enjoyed this book thoroughly! I have never been much into using electronics, but this book has persuaded me not only to consider using them but building my own electronic tools. I've already started building one of the projects. I can't wait until the second installment comes out!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Thanks for the continued kind words. I'm truly blown away by the reception this ebook has had.

If anyone has any questions or problems to do with using electronics in magic or mentalism, just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
This is a good e-book that shows step by step how to build some useful tools.
Silvio
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Silvio
Hey, I have one question. Does it tell us to build an electronic device that has already exists or even the method is completely new??
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 08:58, Silvio wrote:
Hey, I have one question. Does it tell us to build an electronic device that has already exists or even the method is completely new??

In writing this ebook, I tried to keep the tools as generic and away from what's already on the market as possible.
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
Hey, I would like to know if it teaches you to make an device that's already exist(the concept) or it is something new?
Wonder
View Profile
New user
North Wales, United Kingdom.
44 Posts

Profile of Wonder
I'am glad you've reviewed this ebook it sounds grate, I'll be picking this up soon.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-08-29 07:01, ZoiyaKumar wrote:
Hey, I would like to know if it teaches you to make an device that's already exist(the concept) or it is something new?

Well, the first volume shows you the basic components, what they do and how they might be used, then goes on to build several modules that use classic principles that you can use in different ways, and finally presents some full projects. The second volume will present a whole series of modules for you to slot together to create your own functionality. Again, however, there'll be nothing difficult about any of it. I do all the theory and work out the values so that you don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Electronics for Magicians (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL