The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dyeing Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 12:04, sethb wrote:
This is a very helpful discussion about dyeing rope. I'm interested because I want to make up backups for my Rainbow Ropes and Acrobatic Knot sets.

Two questions: I also bought some RIT concentrated liquid dye, and it states that you need to leave the object in the dye for 20-30 minutes and STIR the dye several times during that period of time. I can see why this might be so if you were dying a large garment or blanket, but is there any point in doing this when dyeing a 3-foot rope?

Also, how can I achieve a clean break between colors? I'm assuming that there is going to be some bleeding due to capillary action -- yes? On the other hand, maybe that will be an improvement, especially for the Rainbow Ropes effect. In any event, I guess I can't go too far wrong with $10 worth of rope and $5 of dye!

Thanks in advance for any additional tips and advice. SETH

I did some dyeing for some Pavel rope effects that I was working on. I was very careful to follow the instructions on the Rit dye to the "T" and my results were very satisfactory. Plainly said, the longer you leave the ropes in the dye, the more vivid or "intense" the final color.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I also had good luck with the RIT dye. And I went with the 2-1/2 gallon bucket, which gave me more room to do several ropes at once, and enough space for the ropes to freely soak up the dye.

If you want really deep colors, my only suggestion is to follow the "recommendation" on the dye bottle and use twice as much dye as the instructions indicate. So instead of using 8 ounces of dye for 3-1/2 gallons of water, use 16 ounces of dye. Since we are only talking about an extra $5 and you can dye at least 25 feet of rope at one time, the extra cost is negligible. For about 30 minutes of work, I now have five Acrobatic Knot backups.

This situation reminded me of the instructions on the Cream of Wheat box -- if you wanted a good thick cereal, you actually needed to add about 1/3 more dry cereal than the instructions required (or add about 25% less liquid)! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Logic prevails!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
Hi guys,

I was experimenting with dying my ropes. However, there is one problem I faced, hope the experts can help me.

I was trying to achieve an acrobatic rope (Daryl), hence I dyed the bottom red portion first and marked out where it should not be dyed. However, the ink always seeps into the white portion, hence ruining the intended results.

Does anyone has a way to prevent this?

Thanks!
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
There is a way. You need to use fixatives, etc. Go read this page. She's an expert and will answer questions.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B106......dex.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dyeing Rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL