The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » The Curious Case of Doug Henning (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I thought some of you may enjoy this article by John Randall. It's a look back at Doug Henning including some of the lesser known aspects of his life:

http://magicgizmo.com/home/Magic-History......ing.html
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Thanks for the article. I bought the book about him and am enjoying it. The stuff about him near the end of his life is sad because it tarnished a wonderful career. I will always remember him fondly though in spite of all of this.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I'm a Canadian and I remember at the time receiving literature in the mail about Mr. Henning and his 'Natural' party and his plans on running for Prime Minister. The literature went on about how people would work little, pay no tax and as I recall something about people being taught to self levitate. Anyway, that was the type of nonsence that the Natural Party was proclaiming. At the time people assumed it to be some sort of joke. Turned out it was all very true.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Doug was a great magician and did with his life what he wanted. Doug was the one who started the resurgence in magic, not Copperfield. Lets remember him for what he did for magic!
On the other hand, I personally feel David Blaine tarnished his magic career by performing "circus" stunts. His 1st special was great, then he decides to be put in a block of ice, submerged in water..etc..etc.the list goes on. I say who cares!!Stick to the entertainment of magic!
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Is the above article true? I seem to have heard the same thing over the years.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2009-09-12 03:08, mtpascoe wrote:
The stuff about him near the end of his life is sad because it tarnished a wonderful career.

How is "Spellbound", "The Magic Show", "Merlin", the multitude of live shows, or any of the TV specials in any way tarnished?

What exactly is "sad" about anything Doug chose to do after he retired from magic?

Is it "sad" or "tarnished" because you don't agree with it?

Doug didn't want to be involved in magic any longer, so he left to do other things. He didn't commit any crimes, he didn't get involved in anything that hurt anybody, he simply did what he wanted to do.

Just months before his death, he began to take an interest in magic again, and had appeared on Canadian TV to talk about his life, and to talk about magic.

I'm not seeing the "sadness", or the "tarnish" on anything Doug did, said, or left behind for his legacy.
His legacy in magic is so huge as to be almost impossible to grasp. I'm not sure any magician living or dead will ever or has ever left a legacy to magic as large as the one Doug left.

What more in magic would you have liked to see him do? Of course he could have continued on for decades a la David Copperfield, but many people change careers mid-stream, and live completely fulfilling lives..........just as Doug Henning did.

All I see is a guy who lived his life to the fullest, and lived it the way he wanted to live it.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
What's wrong with circus stunts?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2009-09-13 18:46, Steve_Mollett wrote:

They should not be in the same category as magic (in my opinion) especially the goofy ones David Blaine did. He is a very good street magician, stick to it. Why would anyone get excited seeing him in a block of ice?
Rennie
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Blaine is more famous for his stunts than his magic, and there's nothing wrong with that. He broke the record for holding his breath on Oprah (although Oprah says the ratings were quite low.) We all know that if you have Oprah singing your praises, there is no greater endorsement for your career or product.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

I have to agree. Doprah can sell anything. She can even sell a bogus book from a bogus author and turn it into a #1 seller. So an endorsement could push a a so-so talent right up the ladder.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

BTW Can anyone answer my question above?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes the above article is factually true, as to whether it is 'sad' or you are 'sad' is obviously quite subjective.

I had a series of long conversations with Doug a couple of months before his death (and before his illness was known to me or those in the magic community) and can confirm that his interest in magic was growing once again and his enthusiasm remained. He told me of some shows he wanted to do in private home and limited (non theatrical) settings and I made some silks (about 75 of them!) at his request.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I posted something yesterday and it got removed. Is there a reason for it? I didn't right anything bad, I was trying to compliment both wandboy and silverking and it got removed.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

There have been a few posts on this thread that have been removed. If you remove one, you might have to remove some others to make the thread jive. Capish?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-09-13 20:04, Rennie wrote:
Why would anyone get excited seeing him in a block of ice?
Rennie

Ice Entombment is a time-honored publicity stunt with a long history. Fakirs, hypnotists and magicians have gotten a lot of mileage out of the stunt. The Amazing Randi once held a Guiness book record based on it.
Don't undersell it.
- Albert Camus
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 11:10, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
Rennie

Ice Entombment is a time-honored publicity stunt with a long history. Fakirs, hypnotists and magicians have gotten a lot of mileage out of the stunt. The Amazing Randi once held a Guiness book record based on it.
Don't undersell it.

But when you can do sleight of hand magic, that is more interesting than watching someone in a block of ice or a big bowl of water. Kind of like listening to the grass grow, ya know?
Raffy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Raffy
I remember meeting Doug Henning when I was young and he was about 20. He was a little out there but very kind, considerate and pleasant

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 3:08pm
The new book on Henning (SpellBound) is a great read
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-09-13 18:46, Steve_Mollett wrote:

For reasons I can not explain, I had a good laugh, thanks! Plus, I agree...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 00:40, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-14 11:10, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Quote:
Rennie

Don't undersell it.

But when you can do sleight of hand magic, that is more interesting than watching someone in a block of ice or a big bowl of water. Kind of like listening to the grass grow, ya know?

That sounds VERY subjective and VERY MUCH a MAGICIAN'S point-of-view.

Advertise a crowd-gathering feature of a human being entombed in ice for a few hours, and one of a magician doing sleight-of-hand card tricks, and see which one draws the most publicity.

Blackstone Sr.'s widow once commented that a lay audience would rather see you produce a bouquet of feather flowers than perform 20 minutes of difficult coin sleights.
- Albert Camus
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Amy Poehler of Saturday Night Live, a lay person, once commented about one of Blaine's stunts, "David Blaine held his breath for 8 minutes, 58 seconds... then did a card trick." Even Poehler understands that those kind of stunts have no meaning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » The Curious Case of Doug Henning (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL