The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » 1 Kings 17 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Hi,

Do anybody have a good idea to illustrate 1 Kings 17 about the widow, the jar of flour and the jar of oil?

Greetings,
Torben,
Denmark
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Lota for the oil.

I use short ventriloquist routines about stories such as the one you mention.

At our church the preschool uses the books from Discipleland

I adapt the puppet versions for one or two characters..where they are written for more traditional puppet plays.

http://www.discipleland.com/preschool-cu......ion.html

I am not associated with discipleland

just got acquainted with their books at our church.

Shalom,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I have used the 6 bill repeat for that illustration. Perhaps a square-circle or any box that can be repeatedly shown empty, then filled again.

-Wes Holly-
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 10:58, torben wrote:
Hi,

Do anybody have a good idea to illustrate 1 Kings 17 about the widow, the jar of flour and the jar of oil?

Greetings,
Torben,
Denmark

Lotta bowl?
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 15:57, Wes Holly wrote:
I have used the 6 bill repeat for that illustration. Perhaps a square-circle or any box that can be repeatedly shown empty, then filled again.

-Wes Holly-

I was thinking Square Circle as well, Smile but a three way change bag would work too. I've never done a routine on this part of scripture, but like Wes said, anything you can show empty, and then filled again would be one way to illustrate it.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Use a lotta bowl for the oil and use a square circle but get some white aquarium sand to re present the flower. Sand won't make the mess. After you show the square circle empty, use a ladle to scoop sand out of the loaded area.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I may be incorrect on this, but this passage may have been illustrated in Now That's Magic! #7 at http://www.ChristianMagician.org
klf1964
View Profile
New user
Northern Indiana
24 Posts

Profile of klf1964
I've used a lotta bowl for the oil before, but I've been racking my brain for something for the grain. The square circle idea is interesting, but I use that prop for a different illustration. Does anyone have any other suggestions for the grain? I know the lotta bowl really got the attention of the kids I work with. If you're looking for something really authentic looking, check out the Ever Fill Jug that FAB Magic sells. It looks like it's made of clay or earthenware of some sort. You could really imagine it filled with oil in the widows house. It is a bit pricey for me, but it looks good. I don't work for FAB or anything, but the owner is a nice guy. Very helpful and I have always been happy with the their stuff. Again, I would really love some other suggestions for the grain.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Rice bowls idea for the grain?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Ditto on the rice bowls..

Has anyone used the new plastic ceiling lids for a custom bowl? I have been thinking about trying that for a while.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
There are many silk effects that could work well for you as well as sponge ball tricks that could work for the grain. You would just need to make the props look right to match the grain idea, ie. paint a pic on the silk or cut the sponge to look like grain... I like the sponge idea where you would multiply the sponges in a childs hand. I have done this with around 20 sponge balls at the end.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Lota bowl works best with the story of the widow and her sons. The bill collectors were going to take them away and God caused the oil to multiply so they sold all that they could and the debt was paid. I act this one out with the kids playing different roles, it's funny but has great teaching value.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I have used the lota bowl to illustrate this story for 40 years now. And the oil (water) is still flowing - haha

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Stapper
View Profile
New user
the netherlands
91 Posts

Profile of Stapper
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2009, Wes Holly wrote:
I have used the 6 bill repeat for that illustration.
-Wes Holly-

Hello everyone,

Some time ago I was in Rio.
Friends of us live there and do ministry work in the favela's.
Heavy and risky work!

While visiting the children in the favela's,
we did the 4 card repeat of David Williamson,
to tell the story of the never ending oil.
It works VERY well.

So, thank you all, especially Wes, for the inspration!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » 1 Kings 17 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL