The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in YOUR street act? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I usually do either rings and cups and balls or rope and cups and balls. That's all I have time for. It fills 20 or 30 minutes.

I sometimes draw the edge with the rope or rings, sometimes with some closeup coins or cards.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
Howdy,

I am currently located in Amehrst Nova Scotia - Just outside of Halifax -and I will personally attest to the busker fest being the SHIZZLE! - I have had the pelasure of performing here for a little while and let me tell you - the people are friendly, the buskers are ready to please, and willing to talk shop over coffee.

If your coming down to Halifax - let me know I would love to hook up with some fellow Cafér's.
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
I believe a straightjacket is the exception that proves the rule. Straightjackets seem to increase a hat like no other trick. Yours Bill Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I did quite a bit of street performing last summer in a very difficult location (small private courtyard), as busking in a public space is illegal in Bar Harbor, Maine. No kidding. It is not possible to draw a big crowd in this location, as you can't be seen all that well from the street, but people do pass through and you can snag them if a couple of people are at your table.

Most of the time, the only material I performed was Fast & Loose. You would not believe how strong this is until you do it. I used play money ($100 bills), which I handed out to the participants and won back. I covered their bets with real half dollars which I would ocassionally lose to them if the moment seemed right. Almost always, these would end up back in the hat.

Thanks so much to Whit Haydn and Chef Anton at School for Scoundrels for a very educational and lucrative product!

Pictures at:

http://www.memoryelixir.com/archive5.html#street

Don't miss the link to Peter "The Glassman" Bennett's story from this site.

Big hats to you!

Yours,

Paul
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Well I can start with simple rope trick, Shell game, Dippy Duck, maybe head guillotine or straight jacket or full load Cups and balls. I might even balance Rocky the Racon on a tray which sits on top of a ten foot tall pole while I play Amazing Grace on a kazoo.
Mario
:dance:
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
I open with the straight jacket Then do sword through neck and finish with Abbott's chair suspension. 3 main tricks is all. I have found that where I perform (Clearwater Beach) it makes no difference if you do 10 tricks or just 3. They all pay the same. So I took the best 3 tricks I do and routined them together.
zman1234
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of zman1234
Ok, I'm new here (not new to magic, been doing it a year) but I don't know what busking is. I think its another term for preforming for money on the street. Correct me if I'm wrong.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Zman, you're right about your definition of busking.

I'm glad this thread popped back up. I'll answer with what I have in my act right now, and hopefully some of you old salts will give me some advice for changes or reinforcement that I've made decent selections:

Draw:
Juggling/Shouting/Attention-Getting Silliness

Build/Warmups:
Pen thru Dollar (first hat-line with jokes about $$)
Cigarette Routine (finish by lighting/puffing/vanishing lit)
Cut & Restored Rope (lay down to draw a line...move crowd up to line)

Middle:
Color Monte (another hat line...not playing monte for $$--performing for $$)
Linking Rings (short 4-ring routine)
Professor's Nightmare
Torched and Restored

Closer:
Cups and Balls (final hat line shortly BEFORE finals are revealed)
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Berkley,
To me, this seems like a really long show with way too many effects for a street show. I do 20 minutes with a multi-phase cut and restore rope and my cups and balls routine runs 15 or so by itself (or longer) depending on how many gags I feel I can put it. I alter the speed of the cups routine and the number of gags based on how involved I feel the audience is.

Like your monte hat line.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 05:58, JamesinLA wrote:
Berkley,
To me, this seems like a really long show with way too many effects for a street show. I do 20 minutes with a multi-phase cut and restore rope and my cups and balls routine runs 15 or so by itself (or longer) depending on how many gags I feel I can put it. I alter the speed of the cups routine and the number of gags based on how involved I feel the audience is.

Like your monte hat line.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the tips. Now that I think about it, my show does kind-of seem more like a skill demonstration than entertainment. I'm sure I can trim it down a bit.

Joe
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Good luck with it, Joe. One of the most satisfying things I learned about working on the street is that my act just gets better and better. Routines that I thought were just right, change for the better.

Jim
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 01:28, BerkleyJL wrote:

Draw:
Juggling/Shouting/Attention-Getting Silliness

Build/Warmups:
Cut & Restored Rope (lay down to draw a line...move crowd up to line)

Closer:
Cups and Balls (final hat line shortly BEFORE finals are revealed)

Joe,

This would be a GREAT show right here. Just these three things. If you can juggle and be silly you will absolutely and unequivocally draw a NICE edge.

Once you have them if you do a nice multi-phase C&R combined with Prof. Nightmare that is all the middler you need. Slydini's rope routine rocks hard on the street, as does George Sands, Panama Rope Trick, etc. Rope is a good middler.

Closing with the cups and balls? Well, that's a pretty hard trick to beat. That is why so many of us close with it. Smile

For the record, your opener is VERY strong; do not discount it. There is not nearly enough silly in the world and people eat it up, especially if you can juggle! :

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
When I'm masquerading as a bum, I wait for my cardboard sign promising magic to attract someone, then do the time-machine watch prediction...hopefully that gets a few more to stop & look...then I'll do an stealth-pen-vanishing-reappearing bill routine, and what else happens really depends on who & how many stay to watch, but in my arsenal are
D'lites (color-changing)
time machine
DeKram deck and 'anywhere fine-print' cards
Kevin James' floating rose
stealth pen
Rinkey-dinkey
Eclipse card-bag trick (a whopper!)
3 pre-set, pre-placed H&S soda cans
and card through window, via a 24 hour convenience store.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
1) Burling Hull's Simplex chain escape;
2) Full-view escape from Irish-8 Darby handcuffs and Indian 'British Colonial Period' Darby Leg Irons;
3) Straitjacket escape.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Sam Griffin
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Griffin
Yeah I always make sure I get a CTW in my show as well. When performed right...HOLY MOLY! Get your buisness cards ready!

I always, and I mean ALWAYS include the knife through Arm in all shows I perform. Blood and all, I've never had censorship issues, I make it as gory and believing as I can.

Swallowing the Razor Blade trick is a great effect to perform on it's own. I have some times, ( When I was first starting out ) Set up a stand with a sign entitled " Witness the Incredible, You will not believe your eyes! $1 for 2 minutes of sheer entertainment" I had 3 tricks behind the stand, that was it...3 Card Monte, Swallowing Razor Blades and a thumb tip. - NOT ONE SPECTATOR LEFT THE STAND DISAPOINTED. AND MOST..MOST, even tipped me a few extra bucks.

Anyway at the end of a 6 hour day - ( Bloody fun day ) I had over $100. It was amazing!.

I don't know what the moral to this story is, but...For aspiring street magicians. Or any Newbie into magic, The point is : You do not need expensive, ground-breaking, diobolical mechanical gimmicked state of the art technology magic to be a winner.

All of that comes in one word. "PRESENTATION"

ENTERTAIN THEM!
"When we are on stage, we are in the here and now."
"The eye is the window of your soul."

"The PERFORMER must BELIEVE in everything that takes place on the stage, only then will the AUDIENCE BELIEVE!
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
We were in Baltimore Maryland and saw a street
act do among other things a subtrunk for his last
trick. Anyone else ever try this on the street?
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
Did they pull it off? The street really doesn't offer the best layout for illusions like that. There are some places where it could be possible. However, you have to unload it from your car, carry it to your corner, make sure no one is standing behind you. Too much work for me.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Slydini's rope routine has never really worked for me. It's like they have seen that before. I don't like it all that much....and even with the humor it doesn't make it for me...thats FOR ME....for others it likely works very well.
Cellini did it for 20 years.

koz
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Rsummer27,
Yes they pulled it off. It was in sort of a town
square setting. They also had a small p.a.
system for music. They carried the trunk in on
a cart. You can perform it surrounded. It's a top
version.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I am wondering what would be the best closer - the Cups and Balls or a Strait Jacket Escape.

I am sure that these are two different schools of thought, and so it may be unlikely that I will get a response from someone who uses them both.

I would like to use both in my routine, its just a question of where in the routine they should be. Can anyone help?

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What's in YOUR street act? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL