The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Robert Cassidy's Art of Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I would like to give me your thoughts about R. Cassidy's The Art of Mentalism book. I am not a beginner in mentalism and I have a lot of "treasure" books about mentalism. Do I need this book in my collection? Please give me a review if you have this book.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
There are 3 parts to The Art of Mentalism. Each part is worth the time to sit down and read. It is pretty much a breakdown of an act, the hows, whys and what fors--I like it and reccommend them.

It is hard to say if you need them, but I would get them--be warned about ordering from Bob, his business skills do not match his mentalism skills. Ask around I am sure you can find a copy of it, for a decent price.

Kevin Smile
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
I found the art of mentalism Here!
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
I must agree. ANYTHING by Cassidy is a great buy.

Art of Mentalism is a good place to start, then check out his e-books available to buy on-line.

Scott
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Besides the Art of Mentalism, also see if you can find Art of Mentalism 2 which is his complete act with some stong routines. Also his Air, Fire, Earth and Water books. These have his principles of mentalism, plus some terrific thinking and routines. This combination of books are must reads for any mentalist. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
What is in the hardcover that isn't in the PDF that he sells on his web site. The price for the hardcover is $45.00 and the price for the PDF is $15.00, but he says that the PDF does not have some updates and revisions.

Cassidy used to offer The Art of Mentalism 2 on his site as well, but he has taken it off the site. Currently he offers the original (vol. 1) and vol. 3. Here is the url:

http://www.mastermindreader.com/cd/
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I have no idea what is in one that is not in the other, but if you are buying from Bob, get the PDF on instant download.

I really doubt there is much added.

I have all the ebooks lee's recommands and they are Good, get them.

Kevin Smile
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
The following is what Bob states on his web site found at

http://www.mastermindreader.com/cd/

"Twenty years have passed since I wrote The Art of Mentalism. While I am pleased that the book has been well received over the years, much of what I wrote no longer accurately reflects my approach to the art.

The Art of Mentalism -
Special .pdf version of the original, FIRST EDITION of the book. This does not contain the additional materials that appeared in the Collector's Workshop 2nd edition, or in the 3rd edition presently being offered by Viking."

I purchased the Viking edition as soon as it was available because I never owned the book. Although worth having, I believe the price is a bit steep for what it contains. It is well produced, but I look for effects, not necessarily production value.

I may be considered a "heretic" in the mentalism camp for stating the following, but 20 years after the original publication, I'm not convinced that the material within is that valuable to me for the price I paid.

I don't know what the 3rd edition that I have has over Bob's .pdf 1st edition, but his price appears more in line to me ($15) in regard to the content.

For those of you who may disagree about the content, remember I am looking at it 20 years after it first appeared. I do not doubt that it may have been "ground-breaking" back then. I have a different opinion in 2003.

His "Art of Mentalism" 2 and 3 may be a better way to go (although I do not own them and therefore cannot give any review).

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
BlackSalt
View Profile
New user
Canada
76 Posts

Profile of BlackSalt
I own both “The Art of Mentalism” (Collector’s Workshop) and “The Art of Mentalism 2” (PDF).

These books comprise a great essay on performing a complete mentalism show. The methods and theories he discusses are well founded.

Personally, I recommend them. I am surprised to hear that Bob has removed Mentalism 2 from his site. Perhaps this is temporary.

Best regards,
BlackSalt
Michael BlackSalt
A Vacation For The Mind!
www.blacksalt.ca
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
I realy loved The Art of Mentalism also Pseudomentaly Yours was a great book of his. There is an NLP effect in The Art of Mentalism that I use quite a lot.

Enjoy the book,
Brandon Cross
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
Thank you very much for the reviews. I decided to purchase it in the future since I understand that I do not need it after all those "treasure" books I already have(Becker, Burglas, Lesley, Binarelli, Hickcok, Busch, Richarson, Burger... and the list goes on!)
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I don't have vol. 1 or vol. 3 yet, but if you can get a hold of vol. 2 -- get it! It is required reading!!!
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Any recent reviews?
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Old thread, new post, old and new response:

This is the only review needed for any Cassidy work: GET IT!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
They are good and certainly worth reading. I have 3 volumes as well as Mentalism and Magick. They are short books, however. Even though more expensive, I think you would get more bang for your buck from Banachek's Psychological Subtleties Series. Just my opinion though.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalism is something I would recommend. It lists all of the resources that he feels are valuable. I have referred to it often and purchased or borrowed may of the books that he suggests as essential reading.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 17:41, aligator wrote:
Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalism is something I would recommend. It lists all of the resources that he feels are valuable. I have referred to it often and purchased or borrowed may of the books that he suggests as essential reading.

The 39 Steps is freely available here
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 17:27, aligator wrote:
They are good and certainly worth reading. I have 3 volumes as well as Mentalism and Magick. They are short books, however. Even though more expensive, I think you would get more bang for your buck from Banachek's Psychological Subtleties Series. Just my opinion though.

The Arful Mentalism contains the Art of Mentalism, Part 2 as well as all of the Principia Mentalia, Theories and Methods for the Practical Psychic and Bent on Strange.
theinternetguru
View Profile
Elite user
I hacked the Café but I still only have
426 Posts

Profile of theinternetguru
The Artful Mentalism is easily the best book on Mentalism in my library, for a number of reasons. The insight in this book on performance, combined with effects that are some of the best out there (and receive some of the strongest reactions of all the effects in my act, which include a number of expensive, high-tech effects) make this one of the best bargains you could find. If you are a mentalist and do not perform 4DT, you should purchase this book and start performing it.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
Everything that Bob wrote is a great lesson to any mentalis.!!!

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Robert Cassidy's Art of Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL