The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building my first Modern Art Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
If anyone wants to copy any pictures off my web site of the building the Modern Art -- now is the time as I will be removing these pages in about a month (maybe sooner), to make room for other pictures.

Best James
Spyder
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Spyder
Nice Job
"Do you like card tricks" he asked.
I said no.
He did five
-W. Somerset Maugham
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
This is what my form ended up looking like.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......mcut.jpg

As you can see I cut my form to short and had to add back to it.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Hehe- measure once, cut twice (or apply a lot of duct tape/glue/screws)! Don't worry, James, we've all made that mistake before.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Once I got the paper mache form cut the way I like it I panted on a thick coat of Fiberglass Resin inside and out, it makes it rock hard (it you don't the paper Mache form will tear up over time).

I used 3M spray adhesive to put on the costume.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......nbox.jpg

I did not want to draw attention to the fake so I went with blue, not a light color like white or a neon color.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 13:19, illusionman2 wrote:
Do anyone have a source for this latch?? My hardware store no longer carries and can't find on E-Bay.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......atch.jpg

sorry about the bad picture best I could do.

I found the latch it is a STANLY Bar Latch
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......atch.jpg
this is what it look like on my illusion painted black.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......nted.jpg
what do you think should hardware, Hinges and latches be painted or left natural?
I like painting as I think it takes away from the art if left natural.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I took the illusion apart for the first time yesterday, It did take 15 min because I painted over the bolts (now that I have replace with new bolts it takes less than 5 min). the whole illlusion is held togather with just 4 bolts.
If you would like to see a picture of it folded down let me know.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It would be helpful if you could post the picture of the folded down illusion. Thanks!
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for the pics, illusionman2.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Great work!

I'd really enjoy seeing it in action

Thanks for sharing your adventure/journey
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
A few final thoughts--Alto I like my paint choice, I would not go with yellow again as it has no coverage and every nick shows. I think this is around 4 times harder to build than a Zig Zag. Your assiant MUST be skinny to fit. This would have been a easer build had I not gone with the very thin wood and make it fold down (but it is light and will fit in my car). This is a home made illusion and I would rate in in the midle, could have been better but could have been a lot worse.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Just did a Google image search of Modern Art Illusion and found 4 pictures of my illusion from this thread. I may have to deleat some picture, so if you need to copy any do it now.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Nice job on your modern art illusion.
will you be making another to use as a backup?
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 10:50, majik_1 wrote:
Nice job on your modern art illusion.
will you be making another to use as a backup?

If I do it will be bigger for Me,and have a thin table. I would not make it fold flat and It would be of thicker wood as stated in the instructions (these were my biggest problems).
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
All my pictures in one place + a few
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/illusionman2_photo/

best James
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Dude ... I don't know who you are, but you're like the MacGyver of magic! I just happened to stumble across this post, and it was awesome to see your project from start to finish. This is a very ambitious illusion to attempt ... especially without a full workshop.

This illusion obviously wasn't designed to fold flat ... so, you had your work cut out for you. There were a few built by Owen Redwine, where the top box folded flat and it all fit in one case with the bottom half solid.

I personally own one of the very first Modern Art props built by Owen back around 1997. There is a lot of labor involved in building this one the right way. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Excellent work, my friend, and thanks for sharing your experience with us all ...

Steve
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Thinking of cutting out a pattern for a one person (bigger) Modern Art Illusion with a thin table. These are the only pictures I could find on the web: http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......llusion/
I was thinking of keeping the height the same and adding 4 inches to the width and sides and 1/2 inch to the table legs. I do think mine will be different, as I want to use a Zig Zag position of the person, not a Modern Art position (because of this, only one foot would show). What do you think ???
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I think that using one person dilutes the effect of Modern Art. Also, I think that not enough people emphasize the sword, and some of the effect is lost.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building my first Modern Art Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL