The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publicity/Promotion 10+ Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I also agree that it is bad form to give out your business cards or promotional materials at someone else's magic show. It's disrespectful, and slimy.

However, if the performer invites you to do so (which is an odd way to treat their relationship with this customer), then I suppose it would be ok. Still, I can't see that senario happening.

- Donald

P.S. To add something to a list, one more idea would be direct mail letters (not just postcards -- which was on the list) to promote shows. The letters can be just letters, or they can have brochures or flyers in them along with cover letters.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I can agree that handing out business cards at someone else's show is disrespectful. My problem with his comment is that it has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread....obivously it's a personal experience that he has had with others during his bookings, however it has no place of mention here.

I know he wasn't speaking of me in particular, and my response about wv and ca was just a joke as well.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 08:18, renricker7 wrote:
And even more clear is my question, charles!

did you hand out your flyers at jay leslie´s show?

if not, then there is really just a misunderstanding going around, in my opinion.

to go into a show and giving out contact info to the audience without permission of the performer is definitly something that is wrong and would be egoistic by it self.

rené

No, I do not hand out flyers at his shows. I perform in West Virginia and Ohio, and have never promoted during someone else's show. I do not even attend another magicians show unless they are close friends and I am there to help them.

Yes, it is wrong doing to promote at others shows. Simply put I don't DO IT and never HAVE.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-12-24 20:05, jay leslie wrote:
Whatever you do, please don't hand out cards at my shows telling people you can give them a better deal.

(You know who you are)

I can easlily understand how the first sentance is a joke, however the second part (you know who you are) really tipped it off as a serious remark. If he is having trouble with this happening at his shows....he should speak to the source directly. The comment has nothing to do with this topic.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Something you never see anymore is the publicity stunt in the store window.
There may be situations where this could still work, say for a grand opening.
Hypnosis, escapes, headline prediction, whatever fits your style.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 16:06, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Something you never see anymore is the publicity stunt in the store window.
There may be situations where this could still work, say for a grand opening.
Hypnosis, escapes, headline prediction, whatever fits your style.

Absolutely! I have been reading 13 steps to mentalism, and plan to make something like this happen. Even a simple blindfold drive/walk would be within a reasonable budget. The biggest problem with stunts would be gaining permission to do such.

Thanks for the idea
Charles
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Don't forget to try and barter for things!
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Theres been once or twice I called to do a gig, and I acctuly gave them the number of another magician in town, because I was booked that time. I don't mind.
making the unreal, real...really!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 10:39, Donald Dunphy wrote:
However, if the performer invites you to do so (which is an odd way to treat their relationship with this customer), then I suppose it would be ok. Still, I can't see that senario happening.

Donald:
You mention the relationship with the customer. I can't see this being discussed and settled ahead of time, so it may not be something the customer has already said "Don't do this."

As a beginner in the magic business, I don't think I would have the moxie to hand out my cards to the crowd. But I could see a beginner putting flyers on the cars or setting a stack of flyers or cards on a table on the way out. I would also think it heavy duty favors to have the chosen performer introduce me to the buying customer.

But I pick up that in your experience with customer relationships, a customer has expecations that are not necessarily laid out and they may not even know - but regardless these actions (introducing another magician to the customer or allowing their promo materials) might violate something in the customer's expectations of the relationship.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Ed
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-12-26 18:38, Ed_Millis wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-25 10:39, Donald Dunphy wrote:

Donald:
You mention the relationship with the customer. I can't see this being discussed and settled ahead of time, so it may not be something the customer has already said "Don't do this."

As a beginner in the magic business, I don't think I would have the moxie to hand out my cards to the crowd. But I could see a beginner putting flyers on the cars or setting a stack of flyers or cards on a table on the way out. I would also think it heavy duty favors to have the chosen performer introduce me to the buying customer.

But I pick up that in your experience with customer relationships, a customer has expecations that are not necessarily laid out and they may not even know - but regardless these actions (introducing another magician to the customer or allowing their promo materials) might violate something in the customer's expectations of the relationship.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Ed

I think you are putting way to much thought into this. I once did a library show and 3 other magicians showed up. Handing out cards or introducing another perfomer to your librarian is a matter of personal opinion. You shouldn't waste your valuable time (and I mean this in good manner) on opinion wars..instead search for the FACTS...known and proven facts that will get you hired!

Here is a tip! I visited your website link, and it has advertisments. Pay a few extra dollars/month for a hosting account that will be ad free...REason? You have no way of controlling the ads that pop up on your site, and the ad could be offensive or outlandish. Catch the Drift?

Then again, after your personal PM....Why would you even listen to a guy that has lived off of magic for the past 7 months during this terrible economy.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-12-26 18:30, CCPCris wrote:
Theres been once or twice I called to do a gig, and I acctuly gave them the number of another magician in town, because I was booked that time. I don't mind.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Charles -

I was listening to a Jim Rohn audio program today, and he was talking about learning from others (through life, books, etc.)

He talked about the idea that some people are examples of what TO DO, and some people are warnings of what NOT TO DO.

I think you were looking for examples of what to do, but someone just chimed in with a warning of what not to do.

That's all.

Just another way to look at it.

- Donald

P.S. Another tip for the list - Find some ACTION to do every day that moves you forward. Not just activity, but action.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hey Donald,

You have cleared that up very nicely...thanks! Charles

p.s. You are absolutely correct...I think it was Jim Snack that you should sit down and think up 30 action steps you can do over a period of 1 month and you would be surprised at the results!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-12-24 20:05, jay leslie wrote:
Whatever you do, please don't hand out cards at my shows telling people you can give them a better deal.

(You know who you are)

That is low.........................
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
No one mentioned car banner magnets. Vista Print has some really neat ones for about 10 bucks, 17 inch by 11 inches.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publicity/Promotion 10+ Ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL