The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Brainstorming a gospel application for ropes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JimR
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of JimR
Hi folks,

Could you help me brainstorm a rope routine with a gospel application.

I have plenty of effects available, I want to organize several of them into about a 5 to 7 minute routine for a children's sermon. I have already used a gospel version of Professor's Nightmare for this group so I don't want to repeat that effect. (If anyone is interested in my version of that, let me know and I will post)

Ideas that have occurred to me are these:

Cut & Restored rope illustrates sin cutting off our relationship with God. We can only restore it imperfectly (with knot) Only God can truly restore it.

If the knot represents sin - we can slide it around but it's still there. Only God can remove it and restore us.

Rope has a beginning and an end just like life. Create an endless circle out of the rope to demonstrate eternal life

Do as I do Triple Rope Routine - Magician and 2 Spectators all tie 3 short ropes together, but magician's is restored. Demonstrates that man tries to use legalism to show how to restore relationship with God, but it's just an illusion. Looks good in theory but no one can actually follow the steps and make it work.

Ring, Rope & Wand
Ring represents person, Rope represents sin (Prov 5:22 "wicked...held fast in the cords of his sin." Rod (wand) represents authority.

Ring/person bound up in cords of sin. Only thing that can release him is the authority of God. Ring jumps from cord to wand.

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. I'd like to end up with a 3 or 4 phase, cohesive routine. It doesn't have to include the above ideas - just has to use rope.

Thanks,
Jim
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
How about the linking ropes. Tell the story of how christians come together in fellowship.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Well, here I ago again, but I saw a really neat complete Gospel ROPE routine (I was operating the camera) performed by Sheldon Rhodes- it is his terrific boy "Slim" routine. To see it, go to http://www.ChristianMagician.org , then go to the bottom of the web site to the first More Than Magic! series(not the upper Now That's Magic! programs)- click on show #2 of More Than Magic!, Sheldon's routine is at 13:37 in that program. It is wonderful and incorporates a number of well known rope tricks.
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
219 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Rope through body--could represent:

1. How we were once separated from Christ--but we were "made nigh" by the sacrifice of Christ--we're allowed into God's family, etc.

2. Or, it could represent part of the narrative when Christ was resurrected, how He walked through the locked door (walls) into the room to meet with the disciples.

Just a couple ideas . . .
magicofms
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh Pa
57 Posts

Profile of magicofms
Duane Laflins version of patriotic ropes is great. His version uses red yellow black and white ropes...hopefully you can take it from there
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
See Now That's Magic! #4 at the 2:28 mark for Duane's multi-rope routine and the 32:00 mark on Now That's Magic! #9 (Red/Yellow/Black/White routine). See at http://www.ChristianMagician.org or purchase at http://www.laflinmagic.com Always well thought out material and well performed by Duane, an honor that he let us use his DVD.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Think of a message you would like to convey to the children, then try thinking how you could use ropes to help illustrate that message. Sometimes when we have writers block, or scripture block, reversing our thinking pattern may help.

It helps to have a message that you want to talk about first. That should be the priority, right? Considering the magic is just a tool to help illustrate a message we feel led to share, the magic should be secondary. Unless of course you are looking for a Gospel message to show off a magic trick with.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Other good ideas on another thread of a similar question:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=16&15
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Brainstorming a gospel application for ropes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL