The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wacky Washing Machine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 15:57, The Great Smartini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 10:23, magicgeorge wrote:
Umm, I think Kimmo might have been joking (about the vent thing).

You don't have to always take him seriously:

Ha! I didn't think that would be so big.

Brilliant.

The vent thing would make it something worth considering and certainly much more interesting.

Nah, I think there is a lot going on with the prop already and adding vent would be a distraction too many. The way it is decorated might not be for you but I think it's hard to not see how much fun this routine would be with the amount of phases it goes through and how much visual comedy is involved.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Haha very funny the three big kimmo pictures!

I like the wacky washing machine!
I like it looks. And more important I think it will also be appealing to kids. And recoginzable as a washing machine right away.
I love that it is a front-loader, which gives the audience a very natural view that it is empty after you take the laundry out.
I like socks too because I think smelly socks can be extremly funny to a cetain age group. Far better then hankerchiefs. (but of course you can always use something differnt then socks if you wish)
I do not like the sound (noise) very much. Is it maybe possible to change this sound for another sound yourself ??
I would have prefered the turning-thing from the "chinese washing machine" or "crazy washing machine". A button too push certainly is more realistic but I think the kids love to turn the turning thing and produce the noise by turning. Maybe both would have been even better. Would give you the choice to use the one or the other or both.

I would like to buy one. But only at this moment the price stops me. (I am not saying it is overpriced)
But I might try to get one in the future!

Colin diamond, so I do not own one and can't tell you if you can ahndle it with one hand. I am curious if you already find an aswer to that question?
I do like your idea a lot to start with the puppet wearing the (dirty) socks!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 10:23, magicgeorge wrote:
Umm, I think Kimmo might have been joking (about the vent thing).

You don't have to always take him seriously:

Ha! I didn't think that would be so big.

Brilliant.

Is this photo actually considered funny or brilliant in Britain?
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Refer to the video demonstration on Practical Magic’s web. It’s a pity Jeremy had so much pressure of time on him that he was not able to include an audience or the two helpers who ‘make’ the socks change, colour shape and size.

Imo, the main thing that is missing from Jeremy’s excellent dem is my version of the beginning of the routine. After explaining that it’s also my birthday today I take the socks out of a paper bag. At this stage I throw ants and spiders over the kids. The socks are smelly. Hence a reason for washing my socks and choosing two helpers.

This is way before the washing machine makes its appearance. This bit in itself is a very funny part, which I have included with the Routine and Instructions, along with the washing machine. I have also included some sketches of how to handle the washing machine one-handed.

To add a clicking noise, it’s very simple to add a turn-key device on the side of the machine. Obtain a child-proof screw top from a drug container bottle. These are the ones where you have to push it in before it will turn (thus undoing it from the bottle). Glue on a turn lever and a tube and you will end up with a ‘clicker’ when you rotate the lever. Alternatively, use a soccer rattler.

But I decided this was all too much messing about, and kept with a simple switch and flashing lights to indicate something is happening. Also, and most importantly for one-handed operation, each load drum must ‘lock’ when the child removes the socks.

This shows one of the sketches to depict how fingers and thumb hold the machine:

John
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Just watched the video and what I see is a competent alebeit very unoriginal presentation. All of the lines and bits have been used to death by countless magicians all over the world. I didn't agree with the invisible helpers being the reason that the machine wasn't working as the magician in trouble theme is really much stronger. Why ask for a helper and then blame then when things apparently go wrong...not kind and is really audience abuse. Glad the ants and spiders didn't have to be thrown on the unsuspecting children as well as I might have suggested John routine would make you a bully too.

The clicker John outlines above would be nice as it would add to the reason why the washing machine isn't working. If it isn't working then the magic wands would be in order otherwise why use the washing machine and the wands. I suppose because the wands too aren't working. Wands not inlcuded but don't worry you probably already have these dated/stale low grade comedy props.

So all in all you have a box that changes socks/silks/knickers and on the front a bland graphic that looks a bit like Sponge Bob but not quite (and why is the face there anyways?), a buzzer and a few lights. Not a great deal for a box and the routine is 30 years old. All in all not something I'd recommend buying for about $400 shipped.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Terrific prop and routine! Once again, Jeremy and Practical Magic have a winner.

Ron
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I think the prop adds a "face lift" to a timeless scenario for a routine - the dirty laundry that needs to be cleaned. Whether you use spiders and invisible helpers, or magician in trouble gags may depend on the performer (which is the whole point). Who is to say which routines are "strong" and which are weak? It depends on who performs them. I've seen people do a great job with stuff I thought was corny or sappy and would never do.

I like built-in conflicts, like the machine producing only shrunken/spotted socks, etc. which I can routine and put my character into. They allow me to maximize my persona. And this prop looks like a winner in bringing such a situation into play.

I am in no way going to use all of Breeds' gags. To me, spiders wouldn't be in a washing machine unless there was a reason (could be a crazy reason, but has to be explained in a way that's internally consistent with my character). I also may try to "make this my own" by adding something else, like Soft Soap as part of the climax and some of those soiled hanks or a 20th Century silk with the birthday bunny silk that keeps appearing through the show, etc. But this has a lot of creative potential. It's just the kind of "launcher" that allows me to routine at my best.

It is definitely not cheap, but I will post a full review later. I also think that until a few people who are actually working with it have something to say, it is all somewhat speculative anyway. Right?
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
@ john breeds: thanks for your reply.
Great that you can operate it one-handed!

I can understand the desicion to go with the button only.
And if it is easy to attach a clicking-noise-turn-key-devise that is always an option later. It might turn out unnesseray (or even overdoing it) but this I can actually only tell after trying a few times, I guess.

I just do not like the sound of the push button at all. But it is possible not to use it, isn't it? (depends on the situation as well wether I would or would not like to use it.)Or do you have to push it always before a change for the working of the "magic"?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 19:10, The Great Smartini wrote:
Is this photo actually considered funny or brilliant in Britain?

I found putting giant photos of a mate looking stupid on a forum funny.
I also found the fact that it was 4 times the size brilliant.

I have no idea what the rest of Britain thinks.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I think Smartini would find a photo of Chance Wolf or Steve Axtell in a silly hat far more amusing.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Kimmo,

Bad news for you...the hat you're so proudly wearing isn't funny or interesting enough for anyone on this side of the pond to want a photo of. Looks more like yet another boring magic prop from the UK.

Cheers!

Jeff
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Most people forget most of todays props are built from old english ideas.

eg , Jack Hughes, Edwin

Thank goodness we all like different props , a lot of guys like the mind
reading Goose, I think its terrible.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

I certainly appreciate what came before but it's time to stop living on the past. The washing machine looks modern in the 70s and this ridiculous hat in the 1870s. I think the goose needs no defending from little ole me. I'd encourage you to share your comments in the Latest and Greatest section of the Café although somehow I suspect that you wouldn't be able to sustain anything resembling a logical argument regarding the goose. Like other rebuttals the defenders of the wimpy washing machine will rely on indirect personal attacks rather than an honest discussion of this props obvious short comings.

Jeff
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Jeff,

I have made no indirect personal attacks. You should not lump all "defenders of the wimpy washing machine" together. I want to have an honest discussion of the prop - but first I want to see it. Why don't we wait until then?

Todd
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Todd,

You're much too learned to make personal attacks and always are able to maintain a logical conversation/argument. I hope that the WWM is something that works for you I just think it looks bland. My loss I suppose.

Jeff
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Jeff

Reassessing your posts here you seem to have an overly high opinion of yourself. You speak as if you are all-knowing and smarter than others. The Great Smartini?

We started off by discussing a front-loading washing machine that is about to be launched at Blackpool. You haven’t seen nor handled it, yet you immediately jumped upon it, and themed your critique based upon the adjective ‘bland’.

At each post you continue to slate the machine or the views of entertainers here who like this kind of vehicle to amuse children.

If you’re not attacking posts you come up with irrelevant remarks: “I support a united and free Ireland”. Otherwise, you make cutting comments related to the British and George and Kimmo’s daft bit of fun.

Many of your contributions are just plain dippy… and all over a washing machine prop.

For goodness sake let’s be friends, and share the joy of entertaining the little tots!

John
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

John,

I'm happy to be your friend but you'll need to have much thicker skin. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I'll keep sharing my thoughts and by no means do I wish to impose me views on others. My thoughts are true for me but of course I'm quite happy to change my thinking if logically convinced. As for dippy comments that's the result of watching too many British sitcoms from the 70s.

Jeff
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2010-02-14 13:12, The Great Smartini wrote:
...the defenders of the wimpy washing machine will rely on indirect personal attacks rather than an honest discussion of this props obvious short comings.

I think most have been discussing the prop fairly reasonably and with an open mind. For me it's not about who made it or where it comes from but the actual potential and workability of the prop in question. I have no problem with you not liking the graphic at the front. It's a fair point but a personal one, if you think it's dated, change it. I like it, but that's just me. You've not addressed any of the other issues; it's workability, the visual comedy, the fact that the routine has multiple phases...

For someone who claims to be championing logical debate you seem to be very focused on rubbish such as the fact it comes from the UK, some bizarre mumblings about bullying and the fact you don't think hats are funny.

Like most on the board (apart from your good self) I have made no indirect personal attacks. Although, since I've been tarred by that brush anyhow I might aswell note that maybe the fact that you can't see its potential is probably a result of your immaturity as a performer and magical thinker.

That and the fact that you don't come from the UK.

(That last bit was a joke. I know you're not very good with those)

(Also the last brackets weren't very indirect as personal attacks go, sorry about that, too Smile )

You're right though, most 1970s British sitcoms weren't very good. Well... not the ones we sold to you lot anyhow, but some dippy guys just kept on watching 'em. Who'd a thought?

All the best,
George
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Mr Smartini,

I have to say this, you're starting to sound like a broken down record. We keep reading your thoughts about every 3rd post in this thread. Yes, we get your point! Can you please give it a break? Thanks! (That's being nice, so please don't get me started on the colour scheme on your website and the many broken links as I was just now taking a peek. That would a whole other new topic all on it's own.)

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 01:17, JoJo wrote:
website and the many broken links as I was just now taking a peek.

Jeff,

Jojo is right - your website seems to have a lot of problems with the links. Also, on my PC and laptop it often freezes up.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wacky Washing Machine (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL