The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Roger Slywester's Professor Nightmare move... Source? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings,

I would like to find and purchase a source that has Roger Slywester's move published in it?

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

RevJohn
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Any video of the move?
I believe its Roger Sylvester
http://www.geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.......ightmare

"# A display/stretch was Roger Sylvester's in Hierophant No. 3, march 1970, page 122, The Professor Incubus. "

Man, you know I'm good at this.
-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, it's "Sylwester", and the above reference is correct. I believe one can still find The Hierophant in a series of perfect bond books. This one is in the 2nd book, which contains numbers 3 and 4.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 23:12, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Actually, it's "Sylwester", and the above reference is correct. I believe one can still find The Hierophant in a series of perfect bond books. This one is in the 2nd book, which contains numbers 3 and 4.

I was only able to find it by typing "sylvester", and the Genii Link says Sylvester. Are you saying that he used Sylwester? Which might be a German translation?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
It is Sylwester, and Roger is a fellow Lutheran Pastor. We met when we were both in Eugene. Wonderfully nice guy, and a giving heart.

Is this also published in "Three Ropes and a Baby"?

RevJohn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is detailed in my book "Give a Magician Enough Rope." It is a great display, move... the best.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
RevJohn
I don't understand the "three ropes and a baby" part of your question, Richard Sanders is not that old.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I don't get it, if it was a joke, as I am in a very long meeting... I had heard the Sanders teaches it in the back of the book, with credit to Roger. But just confirming that.

but here is the link:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_030.html

Thanks Pete... where would I find your book?
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
RevJohn,
go here for Mr Biro's books...

http://petebiro.com/
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks!

John
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thank YOU, RevJohn.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
RevJohn
Are you saying that Richard Sanders gives credit to Mr Sylwester as the inspiration for "three ropes and a baby"?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
No, I am asking (and this is what I heard, so asking for confirmation)....

In the back of the booklet, "Three Ropes and a Baby," Richard teaches this move, giving credit to Sylwester.

So just asking if someone has it if this is indeed the case.

John
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi RevJohn,

The first publication of this handling was in the Hierophant.

Bruce Cervon used it. James Lewis used it. Pete Biro used it. I used it.

It is a wonderful handling.

Enjoy the search!

Regards,

Paul Green
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Stopped by the Magic Apple in Studio city when I was visiting the castle, and they had a copy of Pete's book for sale.

Great stuff of course!

RevJohn
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
My own off beat method of appearing to trans form three lengths into one, then tossing the length over one sholder to hang as a finale' display appeared in one of my LR parades years ago

Ron Dayton
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Finally got around to learning this display from Pete's book.

What a nice move!! It looks so good in Roger's hands.

Thanks for including it here, Pete!

RevJohn
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
As far as video/DVD resources, it can be found on James Lewis Million Dollar Magic or my In the Trenches DVD.

Respectfully,

Paul Green
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I talked to James Lewis and he has no plans to make any more of his videos, so go for Paul Green's... tons of great working stuff there.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Of the three descriptions I've seen, the one on the James Lewis video is by far the best looking and most clearly described. As I remember it, he displays the three ropes hanging very naturally between the hands, with the short rope at the top and the long rope at the bottom. Both the Richard Sanders and the Pete Brio descriptions have the ropes crossed over each over in the display. The description in the "Three Ropes and a Baby" manuscript has a misprint or two, making it difficult to see how to do the stretch. The description in Pete Biro's book has the ropes sort of twisted between the hands (the long rope is on the top in one hand, the bottom in the other). But it's been a long time since I've seen the James Lewis version, and I may not be remembering it exactly right.

Murf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Roger Slywester's Professor Nightmare move... Source? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL