The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Decent thin magnets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Is there a magnet about 1/16" thin that still has decent strength? I'd like to secure a piece of craft-weight paper board to a metal shim using a weak magnet, then use a stronger magnet in opposite polarity to push it off the secured position.

Ed
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Rare earth, and they comein different diamaters
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 13:17, Ed_Millis wrote:
Is there a magnet about 1/16" thin that still has decent strength? I'd like to secure a piece of craft-weight paper board to a metal shim using a weak magnet, then use a stronger magnet in opposite polarity to push it off the secured position.

Ed

Scroll down to near the bottom of this page:

http://www.wizardcraft.com/PK_Magic.htm

This may be what you are looking for.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Some Radio Shack stores carry tiny neo magnets that are 3/8 diameter x 1/8 thick. They come in two-packs, and are about $3-4.00 per pack, as I recall. They might suit your purpose. Best of luck!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
http://www.supermagnetman.net/

This has a variety of magnets. There may be something here that would apply to what you're looking for.
Magic is a vanishing art.
David P
View Profile
New user
Boston via Michigan
82 Posts

Profile of David P
K & J Magnetics has 1/32' and 1/16" N42 and the stronger N52 in several sizes. I order from them all the time. Good company.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
K & J is a good company. I also like to purchase from Forcefield Magnets.
Mister Mystery
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Personally, I think Dave Forrest sells the absolute best magnets. They are extremely thin, and very strong. Check them out at http://www.full52.com/magnets.htm
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 13:17, Ed_Millis wrote:

Ed

This will work, and is fairly easy to accomplish. Preferably the first magnet should NOT come in direct contact with the metal shim - however, even a very thin layer of non-magnetic material covering the shim metal will be sufficient separation.

Also, thin vinyl sheet magnet - such as business-card magnetic applique - typically will NOT work for your "weak" magnet component because each flat face [of that product] carries both polarities.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
http://www.buntingmagnetics.com/products/magnets/
This is who I get all my magnetics from. I have a dime size that holds 3 lbs.
Hope this helps
Rick
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Ed_Millis,
Please private email me to discuss your desires.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Be aware that neodymium magnets are rumored to be going up sharply in price in the very near future. So buy now if you want good pricing…

Magically,
Roman
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
You can find incredibly strong magnets inside hard drives. They are used to control the arm that moves back and forth over the disk. (Yes it's a disk, back in the day we used to call them hard disk drives). I would imagine laptop hard drive magnets to be very thin.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
One warning on neo magnets. They are very brittle.
If you are encasing ti in something stiff you should be fine. if not you may want to look for ones that are coated.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Decent thin magnets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL