The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mikame Silk Production Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I just bought a Mikame Silk Production Box, only to realize I have no idea how to use the thing. Can anyone point me to a resource that discusses the use of such production boxes?

Thanks!
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Proper terminology is important when asking a question, or a reference would be nice, so those considering answering the question can help you.

There are many production apparatus by Mikame, which one is it:
* Production Chest
* Square Squared
* Production Casket
* Silk Cabinet
* Dream Square
* Genii Tube
* Wonder Box
* Treasure Box
* Production Box
* Ukiyo Box

I guess you did not purchase it from a dealer as most Mikame items come with instructions. The only thing I can suggest is you go to Click Here and enter the work Mikame in the search engine. Most, if not all items have demo videos of the products. Watch the video demo, so you will get an idea of effect. Then work you idea from there.

Hope this answered your question in some small way.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Alas, I fear I am out of luck on this one...thanks for trying, though. It is literally called the "Mikame Silk Production Box", which I bought from a dealer here:
http://stores.homestead.com/silkmagictri......ries.bok . I can understand the confusion--I was unaware of how many Mikame boxes there are out there!

No video, unfortunately, and neither YouTube nor Google offered up a video source. The instructions offer the basics of how to work the box, but very little in the way of how to USE the box, if you catch my drift. One can read instruction that come with a set of cups and balls, but needless to say there are many resources that teach far beyond anything that come with the instructions. From the little I could find through the "Search" here on the Café, it is sometimes called a "JAP" or "HANK" box, and other manufacturers have made them in the past as well. I fear I jumped too fast in buying a comparitively expensive unknown item off the internet. So it goes......
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gosh, you give up fast! Thank you for the reference, this is not a "JAP" Box. It is not a Production Box either. The name that is associated with this prop is usually called a "Silk Cabby".

What it is is a Silk changing box. The description you referenced tells you what it does.

Here are a few ideas:
1. Put 2 or more silks in the box and they can come out tied together.
2. Put a red silk in the tube and it comes out say, Green.
3. Put 2 silks in the tube and vanish a third (using your favorite method) and they come out the all tied together with the vanished silk between them.
4. Put pieces of a cloth hanky in the box and it can come out restored whole again.
5. Put a red, white and blue silks in the box and it comes out as the American Flag or a line of flags of all nations.
6. Put several silks in the box and they can change to a long multi-colored streamer.

Magicians use this box instead of using a metal Dye Tube in a roll of paper.

Again going to Murphy's Magic site the 1st item is what you purchased, it seems it is now called by Mikame as the "Silk Cabinet Box". It seems you have purchased a Mikame item that was made before his natural wood finished products. I think this is better, as I personally do not like the natural wood grain look for stage. When you see natural wood grain props on stage they look flat and dull. That is my opinion of course.

If you go CLICK HERE you will see they have a demo video for the product.

If you are asking for information and instruction as to books and videos for the use of such a prop as this, to my knowledge there is none available. Although, I do not know of every specialized book and video on the market.

This is known in Magic as a utility prop. As such, it can be used for the things I have listed and any time you wish to do something with a silk scarf or scarves.

Have fun an be creative and enjoy your new prop.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I really do appreciate the effort you have made to help....thanks! I fear that communicating through this medium has it's limitations. It is not a cabby nor does it have a tube--I know the prop to which you are referring. I guess I hadn't better talk about the workings of the Silk Production Box in this setting, but it is possible to pick up the box off it's stand, twirl it to show it is completely empty, do the same with the stand, then pull silks from it. I'll send you a PM as an FYI about how it works. From what I read on the Café, this pulling out of a silk is often something of a distration to allow for producing larger more concrete objects.

The one I bought does have the natural finish, and I agree with you that I think it will wash out a bit on stage. I have purchased the Babcock Rainbow Die Box, and understood from a post on the Café' that a bonus routine that comes with it recommends the use of this silk production box. I should have waited for the die box to arrive first! I can handle the basic workings of the Silk Production Box, so I imagine I will be OK using it with the Rainbow Die Box (if in fact it is even necessary). I was just looking for better ways to use it since it was a pretty expensive prop.

Thanks again for your efforts to help--they are most appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If the item you are referring to is the 7th item down on the page you referenced, then yes it is a "Jap Box". I thought it was the 6th item down which is a Silk Cabby. Sorry, for the mix-up. That is kind of funny, a Japanese manufacturer does not want to call the prop by its Classic name, and he is Japanese. Go figure!

The Jap Box is also just a utility item. Usually you can only produce 3 or 4 silks from each side if you have a double load version. This also depends on the size of the silks. They suggest you can also vanish, but I found that putting silks in is more difficult then taking them out.

The only good idea I ever read about this piece of equipment was Terry Seabrooke's suggestion of a silk, a pocket, and a sock routine. He never gave full details and I have never seen him actually perform it at a magic convention.

I can send you the details as I have his lecture notes on the idea, if you would like to work on this very funny routine.

Also I have the instructions that came with my Supreme Magic version, which may help you devise some ideas. Supreme always supplied routines with there products they sold.

Ken Brooke Magic and Supreme Magic has created a large hole in magic, that does not look like it will ever be filled by anyone again.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I REALLY appreciate your help! The Café offers a great opportunity to learn from those like yourself who have a deep background in magic....my thanks.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Abe Creekmore used to make these. His box had flaps on both sides that he opened with just a touch on the top. He'd carefully put folded silks and placed them into these flaps. Rice Silk book shows this. Abe also had a platform for the box that held an extra load.

How I would do it is created an extra load by making a bundle of silk tied around a thread. Then have this thread attached to a wand. Finally have the bundle inside of the box as the wand sits on top of it. This way you can make an even larger load.
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Can you post a photo of it here, I have the silk cabby and its loud when working it. Not a fan
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But how is the quality on the Mikame version? I was going to go with the model over at Fairchild Magic but id be curious to hear some thoughts on the quality of both if someone has them.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2011, MagiChrisMitch wrote:
Can you post a photo of it here, I have the silk cabby and its loud when working it. Not a fan

It must be loud because you are not controlling the working mechanism with your fingers. It is not a self working prop, you have to control all the working parts.

A Silk Cabby and a Jap box are to different props, and work differently.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But how is the quality on the Mikame version? I was going to go with the model over at Fairchild Magic but id be curious to hear some thoughts on the quality of both if someone has them.

What you are paying for is the quality of the wood and craftsmanship put into the Mikame apparatus.

I do not see any Jap Box or production box on the Fairchild website. But I would only say, if you are going to constantly use the prop, then a Fairchild would more likely stand up to rigorous use.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, atouchofmagic1 wrote:

What you are paying for is the quality of the wood and craftsmanship put into the Mikame apparatus.

I do not see any Jap Box or production box on the Fairchild website. But I would only say, if you are going to constantly use the prop, then a Fairchild would more likely stand up to rigorous use.

This was it here Bill. And thanks for your reply http://www.fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_029.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mikame Silk Production Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL