The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nesting Wands help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
What's the best material to make nesting wands? I just need two to nest. They would have to be thin so one can't tell the difference in size but not too thin that they will squash.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I made a set once from K&S Engineering brass tubing. They come in sizes that are so close, they fit like pistons. It was necessary to buy sizes that skipped a size in between for a bit of play. Otherwise, they fit too closely. A coat of paint would cause them to jam.

The brass tubes come in 12" lengths. Good hobby stores that specialize in model building is your best bet to find this, although my local Ace Hardware also has a display of the products.

http://www.ksmetals.com/

You can also buy a wood dowel, paint it like you want it, and then find a brass tube size that fits it nicely. Paint the brass tube to match and you're set.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Thank you I'll give it a try. Lowes and Home Depot do not have anything like this. I'll try the guys at local Ace.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
When I was a wee tot magician.. back in the early 1980's... I made my nesting wands from Shower Rod Cover.. I had 5 wands.. different colors.. all the same size!

they nest easily.. come apart easily... and I used contact paper for the ends..

the one drawback is that they didn't have proper end tips on them.. but for a comedy act... and a throwaway that that.. it didn't really matter.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I have a set of vintage multiplying wands made/marketed by Bev Bergeron. There's a company that makes wands with his name that are big (1.5" thick) that would probably play well on stage. The vintage ones are more for a parlor setting.
http://www.fabmagic.com/muwabe.html
Magic is where you find it.....
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
The shower rod covers used to be available at Wal-Mart and then Bed Bath and Beyond but have been discontinued by both. They are impossible to find in black. Fab has found an unbreakable plastic but I believe it is in a larger diameter than the shower rod covers.
I don't think the diameter would matter for kid shows.
I bought some at the Fun House in Baltimore (don't know if they are still in business) that were rod covers.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
To Whom It May Concern - I bought (or should I say "paid for") a set of the Bergeron Nesting Wands from Fab Magic. Order was placed 20 days ago and still no wands.
Brady McCain
Website Designer / Magician
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
I found these after searching for "black plastic shower rods": http://www.fanaticsupply.com/Shower-Rod-......=froogle

They're available in all sorts of colors including black.
Brady McCain
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
My question about using something like the rods in my link above would be... How well do they nest/slide? If you buy black ones and paint the tips white, won't the paint get messed up with just a few uses? I wouldn't want to have to maintain something THAT often.
Brady McCain
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Try white duct tape or some kind of white vinyl tape on the ends.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
bradymc
View Profile
Regular user
Allen, TX
111 Posts

Profile of bradymc
UPDATE... from my post above about ordering the Bergeron Nesting Wands from Fab Magic. It took 24 days to receive. What I was told... they were in the midst of moving to a new location and then the first set got lost in the mail so they sent a second.
Brady McCain
www.GoMylo.com
www.GoMyloDomains.com
JustLoco
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, Ca
111 Posts

Profile of JustLoco
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 09:21, bradymc wrote:
My question about using something like the rods in my link above would be... How well do they nest/slide? If you buy black ones and paint the tips white, won't the paint get messed up with just a few uses? I wouldn't want to have to maintain something THAT often.

will this work to make a 6 foot appearing wand?
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Better than the duct tape, go to a sign shop and see if they have some scraps of the vinyl used in sign lettering and cut it into strips and put it on the wands. I made them for years this way and they last forever.
Much better than paint!
The Rod covers come in 5 foot lengths (for bathtubs) and would work fine but would be a smaller diameter than the 8 foot wand you purchase.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
6 foot appearing wand? Go to home depot or lowes look in the flourecent light bulb area and see the covers for these. Then think cover it with black contact paper and white tips cut a slit down the length and VIOLA!
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-05-29 23:01, Jef Eaton wrote:
The shower rod covers used to be available at Wal-Mart and then Bed Bath and Beyond but have been discontinued by both. They are impossible to find in black. Fab has found an unbreakable plastic but I believe it is in a larger diameter than the shower rod covers.
I don't think the diameter would matter for kid shows.
I bought some at the Fun House in Baltimore (don't know if they are still in business) that were rod covers.

I have had the shower curtain rods in black in stock for many years. It is something from my lecture as far back as 1974. I was the first to use them for magic. I make dancing canes, appearing poles (before they became commercial), nest of wands, acrobatic silks and other stuff.
I haven't bought new stock, but have about 50 left in solid black.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nesting Wands help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL