The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gotta love some customers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Love this, I booked a party for ONE hour to be held on 6/26 at 1 PM. I explained that I had another gig later so that was the time.

Well I just now got a call from the lady telling me she was confirming us for 3PM. I explained that we were booked at another event starting at 4 that was 40 minutes away so I couldn't do 3, maybe 2. Her response was "I have a petting zoo then." We are booked for face painting and balloons. Then she threw in that it was for TWO HOURS. I told her that the price she had was for 1 hour and it would be another $100 for an extra hour but we still had to start at 1. Needless to say we cancelled the job. She thinks that I am a SOB for not giving up the later job and for only going to do 1 hour when she wants 2 for the price of 1.

Just can't make some people happy. This is not the first time she tried to get an extra hour for free, it is the last time with us.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
You charge very little Paddy. You should consider raising your fee. I just quote a client 5000 dollars for a show last night. I'm pretty sure my magic is NOT 50 times as good as yours my friend.

Consider raising YOUR bar.

J
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Don't you just love these characters, Paddy? This is where the contract or written confirmation REALLY makes a difference, though. Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Peter
I have a firm rule and it is "if you are rude to me over the phone there is no amount of money that you could offer me that would entice me to come to your house". She sounds like the kind of woman that you'd have to chase for your check. You are better off without her.

I also charge more money than you do, but I do not charge thousands of dollars.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I tend to agree with Al. If a customer treats you rudely, be very, very careful. There are some situations, I'd rather work out, but sometimes you encounter these people who are used to getting their way! And sometimes the best thing to do is just decline the show...just say no! Way to stick to your guns and not let her ruin you!
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Confirm, confirm, confirm....
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Contract, Contract, Contract.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
That is why for 17 years I have sent a confirmation/invoice. Now I email it instead of sending it through the mail. I always ask the client to check for accuracy and get a confirmation from them that all is correct. I don't ever remember having a misunderstanding regarding date, time, or length of show. It also keeps me on track and my schedule straight.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 01:11, misterillusion wrote:
That is why for 17 years I have sent a confirmation/invoice. Now I email it instead of sending it through the mail. I always ask the client to check for accuracy and get a confirmation from them that all is correct. I don't ever remember having a misunderstanding regarding date, time, or length of show. It also keeps me on track and my schedule straight.

Funny thing is as we all find occasionally is that no matter how much we inform & e-mail them etc
or post contracts-the money is sometimes never there on the day!!!!!they always have a different idea as to how the show is meant to be & how much is to be paid etc.....

cheers
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 04:57, Brent McLeod wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 01:11, misterillusion wrote:

Funny thing is as we all find occasionally is that no matter how much we inform & e-mail them etc
or post contracts-the money is sometimes never there on the day!!!!!they always have a different idea as to how the show is meant to be & how much is to be paid etc.....

cheers

Yeah, I guess the best we can hope for is to minimize the possibility.
Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I charge a bit more...

oh yes I do quote more when the gig commands it.

I have quoted many large amounts..(as sometimes if you quote to small you lose out as well)

To quote doesn't mean you will get it, but as I tell my students

it is ok to ask. (if your show is up to the $1000 -$5000 mark)

They might just say YES.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
The whole problem was that this was booked as a kid's birthday party, not a big event, that's why the rates were as low as they were. Yes I charge out the ying yang for a corporate event, also have contracts and confirm the heck out of it. But I do try to be a whole lot more reasonably priced for kid's parties.

Paddy

Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
You were really in a catch-22 there man... I use contracts too, but it doesn't change the fact that I've had customers who change the details or "lose the check" on the performance day and say they'll mail it later. I fell for that once. Never again.

It's impossible to tell who is going to pull it and who won't. The one and only time I've gotten stiffed was from a wealthy pharmaceutical dealer. I was very new to the business and just trusted the guy. Since then I've come to the conclusion that some people are dishonest not because they need the money, but because they can get away with it.

I've found that requesting a deposit really helps. Most scammers are turned away by that. Still, I've had a few instances where I had to be "persistent" to get paid.

If anyone has a better solution to this, I'm all ears! It doesn't happen much, but when it does it's frustrating!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I got one bad check in 22 years. I complained about it and she sent me a second one which also bounced. Each bounced check cost me money so I stopped calling that *****.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Don't you just love it when they look you right in the eye, smile, praise your show highly, swear they'll have you back next year, and hand you a check on an account they closed a year ago?

Didn't happen often, but it sure stung when it did happen.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 14:20, Comedy Writer wrote:
Confirm, confirm, confirm....

Quote:
On 2010-05-27 23:13, Eldon wrote:
Contract, Contract, Contract.

For some customers no amount of attention to detail will suffice. Fortunately it is a very small percentage you have to worry about.
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 12:44, Jay Mahon wrote:
You charge very little Paddy. You should consider raising your fee. I just quote a client 5000 dollars for a show last night. I'm pretty sure my magic is NOT 50 times as good as yours my friend.

Consider raising YOUR bar.

I’m not sure what price has to do with difficult customers. Problem clients come in all different income brackets.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I'm with Big Al and some others...

RUN! RUN! RUN!

Contracts and agreements are good, but if they aren’t going to pay the contract isn't really worth all that much UNLESS you are willing to PAY to Pursue it with-in the legal system anyway. That's just law...

If you feel funny and you don’t want to 'pass', you CAN insist n a 100% pre-payment.

I get pre-paid all the time. (actually it was several of my buyers ideas in the first place many-many years ago…) I do this a ton and never get any push-back from honest people. (Yes, even in today's market... acctually more-so now. THEY want to get it out of the way...)

MOST want to get the 'business' out of the way so they simply don't have to deal with it at event time.

Just another perspective. Do with it as you will.

“Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire."

Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!

Live “L.O.V.E.” Everyday!
Life Of Vibrant Expression!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Helping You Succeed) in Reno
<><

PS
Grab Your 100% FREE, No Foolin’ Success Event Playback AND Downloadable GIFTS Now?
http://www.EntertainersSuperConference.com
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
To the "Dean" and others...

yes our God is an abundant God.

He gives us all different gifts. What a joy it is to share it and make "a bit" on the way.

Between 79 and 84 I worked out of Reno....ah those Harold Chili Cookoff walk around gigs....What a gas!

Harris...trusting in God...and locking my car.....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Harris!

Rock-On buddy!

Make sure you let me know if you ever re-visit Reno or the surrounding areas... I'd love to connect for a while if you have the time.

I am, as always, at Your Service and in HIS Service,
Dean
<><

PS
Harlold's Club has been gone for quite a while now, I have worked there many times over the years. - Thanks for the memores!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ah yes in God I trust, all others pay cash.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gotta love some customers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL