The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » ______ Took my money and won't deliver or respond! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
Why is this so common? Why does it seem that every third magic dealer is a shyster, or irresponsible, or just plain incapable of honest dealing?

My first experiences in magic were with a brick-and-mortar shop where I grew up. It was firmly of the "Rip-off kids, ignore others, and pander to a clique" variety. If you went in to buy a Cups and Balls set, you'd find three different booklets of routines mysteriously being rung up with it. But at least you would actually leave with something!

Now, on the web, you can do business with people who have been around forever and have great reputations and get...nothing. No item, book, what-have-you. Especially no responses to emails!

When dealing online, I will often order a small item just to see if the retailer is serious about having me as a customer. It's amazing how often these small orders go awry! Why would I order an expensive item when you couldn't be bothered to toss my small order into an envelope?

Are we still in the old shop where the unwary are ripped off, the select few helped, and the rest ignored? You know, the web works both ways. The old adage was that a happy customer will tell four people, and an unhappy customer will tell eleven. Now? An unhappy customer can tell anybody even remotely interested with a few keystrokes!

But, to the members of this board, who am I? Just an amateur mentalist! The retailer? Helluva guy! Once saved my kittens from a burning building while driving orphans to their kidney transplants! He even donated the kidneys! If you dare to even hint that they might be less than scrupulous to members of this board, you'll be crucified. Hey, it's great that you've been so well treated by the guy that ripped me off! How does that get me my items or money back?

On the other hand, some of the best experiences I've had has been dealing with other members through the "Let's Make A Magic Deal!" forum.

If someone does something for a living, don't you think it's reasonable to expect that they be, I dunno, good at it?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
The internet and the way that anyone can offer a service now can apply to anything.
As they are not always shops etc, personal things can get in the way, we all have personal things to do at times. The problem I have is that do not offer a service if you cannot complete it!

i.e. I don't care what happened to your goldfish, I paid for something you said you would post and you didn't
(this is more to do with other areas than magic but it's a general rant so I think it fits here)
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wow. This is a topic I can rant for hours on...thank God my wife monitors my computer time Smile

Seriously though, DeadDave is on target. While there are, in my opinion, dozens of righteous B&B shops and on-line dealers, our industry has been ripe for ne'er-do-wells. I too remember being a young newcomer to magic, and walking into a local shop with a handful of change, looking for a piece of wonder. Then, being sorely let down by the smart-ass behind the counter.

I realize magic is a business. Yet, that is our point. If even the smallest shops would follow the basic rule of "the customer is always right," they'd see positive results. The sellers may not always be loyal, but treated right...the buyers usually are.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Jim Grathoff
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jim Grathoff
I don't know why you are having so many problems .. I use to deal with just a few and have only been screwed once with a falty trick.. so I went to the maker and he fixed..
so I started selling magic my self.. and will not hurt any one (I hope)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've purchased on eBay...from on-line merchants...all over. To be honest, I have never been ripped off. Not once. There have been problems, of course...but never an outright rip. I am careful about who I give money to...but all of my experiences so far have been good.

Knock on wood.

Again.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Escape Artist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Escape Artist
I have had problems buying on line, I ALWAYS pay with PayPal. If the dealer does not accept PayPal I don't buy from them
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Be cautious about http://www.ETrickShop.com.

I purchased two items on 1-20-2013 with PayPal. After couple days of seeing the purchase confirmed by PayPal but no response from the dealer I emailed them.
Not receiving a reply I emailed again. No response. I called and left message on their answering machined. No response.

I then contacted PayPal to have them take action. I tried again emailing but not a single response.

PayPal finaly ended the dispute yesterday, 2-14-3, and refunded my magic.

I don't care how big the bargain they may advertise I wouldn't trust them at ETrickShop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » ______ Took my money and won't deliver or respond! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL