The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolf's Magic (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I have never bought one of Wolf's Magic creations. They are very expensive, look great, but appear frequently on the Café's "Tricks & Effects For Sale" section. Also, some of them look very small (micro magic) and still cost a lot. My questions are:
1. Are they worth the money?
2. How do they play for kids and do they really play much better than other effects?
3. Why do I see so many of them for sale?

I love the way they look but am not sure the effects themselves are either that entertaining or magical but then again I have never bought any so I don't know.
Any comments would be appreciated because I'm always looking for something new.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I should have added, which are the best effects?
Thanks.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Many Wolf's Effects are outstanding. For me, Blow Yur Stack is the best of all time, but I also really like the Funhouse, the Sneeker Tweeker and the Sponge Ball Wand. All four of these are quite magical (the effects generate "Ahhhs").

Wolf has others which I find less magical and more as corny/groaner/entertaining but also good bits of business, like the Chicken Sword and the Wacky Wacoon. I'd start with Blow Yur Stack which is not as expensive as many of his props, and go from there. Blow Yur Stack is one of my favorite tricksto perform - if not my favorite trick - of all time. A lot of it has to do with the routine I've developed (in part with tips from Café thread posters), but several of his tricks really lend themselves to creative routining. Some argue that it is more of a "cup stacking game" than a magic trick, but it has a magic finale which you can milk for several minutes, and is a lot of fun. The Funhouse, Sneeker Tweeker, and Sponge Wand are absolutely magical, and also lend themselves to great gags and routining.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Peter,

To answer your three questions:

1. These effects are well built and will probably last forever even under heavy use. That is why they are so expensive. They are essentially "industrial grade." I assume that is why they cost so much.

2. The effects play as well to an audience as the performer handling them does. They are well made, attractive to the eye and will last for years. How much mileage someone will get out of them is in direct proportion to his or her abilities as a performer. The Rolls Royce of magic isn't a fancy prop. It is you! It is you when you actually use the prop or effect in a highly entertaining manner.

3. I am only guessing here, but I think the reason why so many of them are for sale on The Café is the state of the economy. Many people buy things - more things than they can really afford. When expenses get tight, they start selling things off to raise cash. I think that most of the people who are selling them would rather not part with them, but simply have no choice. They need the money.

I hope that helps.

Peter Cuddihy
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Krowboom,
Looks like Peter posted just a split second before me and he hit it on the head! I will post what I wrote for back up Smile

I appreciate your interest in my products and I feel it best you hear some input from the creator/manufacturer himself as things can get rather distorted here in the Café. I will answer your questions from my point of view as a former magician who has bought a LOT of magic in the past two decades....
1. Are they worth the money?
Answer: From an entertainment standpoint, that is up to the individual and how much effort he puts into the routine. Remember, it's just a prop. It won't make you perform better. It will make the actions of use easier and visually stimulate the audience.
From a mechanical and quality of construction and materials standpoint. Yes. I am comparing this to the typical props built for the past 50 years built of particle board or Masonite sprayed with sloppy base coats and bad stenciling and weak rivets...the list goes on. The materials I use for most of my tricks are incredibly expensive most being of a synthetic base to last for many years. Are they indestructible? No. But if you treat them with basic respect, they will last for decades literally.

2. How do they play for kids and do they really play much better than other effects?
Once again, this is based on your dedication to the prop and routine. It's just a prop. You have to add the life and character it and the audience deserves.

3. Why do I see so many of them for sale?
This is the the most misinterpreted observation in the Café. How can anyone determine "so many" if they do not know how many have been sold overall. To most people, 5-6 units being sold in the Café is considered a LANDSLIDE!! The trick SUCKS!! Stay away!! Truth is, that is a MINIMAL and more than acceptable amount of folks who found it did not work for them. My props or anyone else simply will NOT please everyone. I track the Café and Ebay very closely watching the 2nd hand sales of my props. Overall it is less than 5% at MOST. That is not bad. matter of fact, in the magic world it is great as we as magicians can buy a LOT of things on speculation and have buyers remorse far more than satisfaction.
This subtle hysteria hurts mine and others business far more than you know. I wish people would not follow the sheep off the cliff so easily. It is their loss in the end.

In the end, my customers have been far more than happy and I hope I have raised the bar for quality and innovation enough to inspire others to do the same!

I hope this helps and thanks again,
Chance
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I have owned several of Wolf's props and I've sold a few too.
The props are the best I've seen but as others have said if that particular prop doesn't suit you then it wont work. I sold, Blow you stack, and Hip Hop Magicians. I wish I could have afforded to keep Hip Hop Magicians just for the art work but it didn't fit my style.

I still have, Run Wolf Run, Balloon Wand and ABC recombobulator. I might sell the ABC just because it's too big to carry all the time. That might be another reason that some people sell them. They are bigger than most versions of simular props.

The customer service and back up from Chance is second to none! Any issues or questions I've had have been answered really quickly. Chance wants his product to be the best so he makes sure he keeps his customers happy.

If you do buy a Wolf effect and you don't get on with it at least you know you can sell it for a good second hand price.

Krowboom, I see by your avatar that you have some Axtell puppets. I'd put Chance and Steve Axtell in the same catagory of guys who produce top quality, not cheap, but still value for money props.

Treat your self and have fun.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Here in Holland I own and did buy wolfs magic. For me it was heaven on earth. The quality, the visual. No more expensive props that looks cheap. I had Balloon Wand, Cellulator and Phone-ale, Blow Your Stack, Run Wolf Run and Road Toag. Now I only have Blow Your Stack, Road Toag and Run Wolf Run. I sold my props for two reasons. Chance is telling the truth, the props don't make you a better performer. In the beginning I thought that would be the case. So I discover that some didn't suit me. And there is a money issue. Because of the economics I had to sell some wolfs magic. With pain in my heart but knowing it is stabil in value. If I didn't need the money I would never ever sold cellulator and phone-ale

Now every time I do my own routine with for example Road Toag it blows the roof off. So I am really glad and honered to use the magic of Chance, he gives great quality magic and Shelley and he are the nicest people and gives great services.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I don't own any of Chance's products, so I can only make an observation a a third party who reads the Café a lot.

When I see someone selling a Wolf product, my thought is not that it is an unworthy prop, but that the seller is in need of cash, and the props that hold their resale value the best, are Wolf products. This is a piece that someone will want. That gives me a good impression of the line. That tells me they are a good investment.

Just another way to look at the re-sale question.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Thanks for all the great comments which confirm what I was thinking, that they are great products and play well if they fit your style. I'm sure I'll be trying one or two at some point.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You have puppets....they out trump all props.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
They are great! They get ooohs and Ahhhs! Expensive, I don't think so, and a guy who has $1,000 worth of puppets on his lap shouldn't either. Smile
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
230 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
Chance's stuff is the best.

Quality cannot be matched. I have owned Blow Yur Stack, ABC Gumball, Roag Toad, Sponge Wand and Run Wolf Run.

I have sold all of them to buy other effects which are on my priority list, but I will eventually repurchase these.

His routines hold their value which to me is a testament to the quality.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
All I can say is there are guys here who's entire show is nothing but wolf products, they don't even speak, they just show the product.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
MagicSanta hit it right on the nose. The props from chance are that great that some assume they need no work. How many times I have read here that someone received his prop and put it right in his case to play it in his afternoon show. Everyone much do what feels best.

For me to give Chance the credits he deserved his props deserved to have a routine, an script, practise and rehearse. Then you and your audience really experience magic.
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
I have a Run Wolf Run and I wouldn't part with it for all the $$$ you could offer!!

Plays really big and is worth every dime Smile
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
http://www.wolfsmagic.com Customer Service is Amazing and the Props are bullet proof.
RC
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Rogue Clown said it best, Chance will always answer his phone and explain things to you, even if you purchased his products from someone else. The products are not the star of your show you are, the props should be something that works for your style. If you want great props that will last and hold there value then Wolf is one of the top vendors you should look at.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Chance happily sent me instructions for item's I'd bought second hand. I think he sees the big picture and wants the best for his props.
Hmm I wonder what's next?
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Chance really does care about how his props perform. I emailed him about a need for an extra accessory for one of his props. It was something that I thought would strengthen the routine, and Chance made it up for me right away. I had it a week later. Talk about customer service. Shelley and Chance are the best..

Ken
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of dking66
Chance Wolf - the best in the business... period!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolf's Magic (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL