The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing bottle advice (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
I'm considering buying a Nielsen's vanishing bottle.
My magic shop has the beer bottle, the empty 33cl coke bottle and the full 33cl coke bottle.
Which one do you suggest me? I'm asking this because I would prefer the full coke bottle but I'm afraid that it would be noticeable that's not a real bottle (no moving coke inside)

Also, can you tell me if the trick can be done close up or a minimal distance is needed?
Is it possible to "vanish" the bottle and keep the "empty" lunchbag in my coat pocket for the rest of the show?

Thanks in advice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Nielsen Bottles are not close up tricks. They do require a little distance from the audience. Not for realistic looking bottles, but for performance. After the vanish, throw the sack in a container like a dump box or the rear of a magic table or the case you are working your effects out of during the show.

What you get depends on your age, if you are of drinking age, 21 years old or older, then using beer bottle is okay. Other wish the coke bottle is recommended.

As for the movable liquid, it is not displayed long enough for anyone to notice really. Get the "Bottle Book" for additional routines you can do with these props.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you just make it vanish there is less mystery to it. So change it into something else and take the heat off the bottle itself.

I change glass into aluminium as a recycling bit then remove the can and eventually make the bottle vanish. At 3 am someone might wake-up and figure the bottle somehow fit in the can, which is impossible, but that's exactly what you want, If it vanishes alone then it follows the theory "that if it's not in one hand it must be in the other" and the effect is lessened.

Keep them guessing.

No you can not keep the bag in your pocket. It's all balled-up and is tossed asside. it would leave a big buldge, at least,
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Actually...
If you line the bag with some heavy duty foil, you can crush the bag and bottle and it will stay crushed.
You could put it in your coat pocket then, if it's not still too big.

Randi
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I Vanish a Nielsen Champagne Bottle, wrapped in a white towel and set into an Abbott's Foster-Chavez Coin Pail as I get into my Miser's Dream Routine. It's a good segue trick.

Champagne-Bottle Sized paper bags are readily available for sale at liquor stores and wine departments.

randirain's advice about lining a paper with foil is a good one. My experience is that bigger bottles are better (the vanish just seems that more amazing), BUT, you can use Nielsen Bottles for transpositions, too.

I have a fun routine I do for kids at Library Shows with a Full and Clear Nielsen Ketchup Bottles (Yeah..I got the Heinz)...and a Tomatoe from the Michael Ammar Fab Fruit Collection that plays well.

I happen to be fond of Norm's props!

And I'm even more fond of Norm's skill as a World-Class magician!!!
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
As for the full Coke bottle, Martin Lewis has a nice deviation from the run of the mill vanishing bottle, on his DVD Making Miracles Vol 1.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yeah, Norm's ok. We had booths across from each other at the IBM convention and goofed around when there was no traffic.

Bottles: I never remember to remove the bottle from the bag until setting-up for the next show (which can be days later). Would foil cause the bottle to wear out sooner because it's bent more acutely?
and would it allow the bottle to vanish flat enough when pocketed?

If you could fold the bag at two equal distances and slide it in your inside jacket pocket, that would be very disarming. You'd get the bag from your pocket and put it back in the same pocket. Very sleek.

Then if you removed the "same bag" later, to put something in and give it to your assistant.. they take it back to their seat.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
NN also sells gizmos to vanish a real bottle or do bottle thru the table close-up
Odilon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Odilon
Thanks everybody for your useful advices.

I think I will go for the beer bottle.
Is it possible to take the label from a real beer bottle and glue it to the nielsen bottle?

I was also wondering if is possible to produce the bottle from an egg bag. At the end of the routine everyone is relaxing thinking it's over and the volunteer is showing around the egg he just produced, so I though I could load the bottle inside the bag. What do you think about it?

Thanks again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, it is possible to use a real beer bottle label and glue it on, then you can throw the bottle away because you distroyed it.

No you cannot use it as a load to an egg bag routine.

See here: http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/vanishingbottlespage.htm They sell replica replacement labels.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2010-09-07 12:48, Odilon wrote:
Thanks everybody for your useful advices.

I think I will go for the beer bottle.
Is it possible to take the label from a real beer bottle and glue it to the nielsen bottle?

I was also wondering if is possible to produce the bottle from an egg bag. At the end of the routine everyone is relaxing thinking it's over and the volunteer is showing around the egg he just produced, so I though I could load the bottle inside the bag. What do you think about it?

Thanks again.

You can use a real label from a real bottle without destroying your bottle.
You just have to use the right glue.
Don't go with any '3M Spray 90' or anything like that.
But a weak water based glue will hold the label on long enough for you to do the trick.
Just know that after you have vanished the bottle, that label is pretty much done.

I took one of the green bottles, printed my own Avery label, and made a rum bottle.
That kind of "stickem" isn't going to permanently stick to the bottle.

As for producing it from an egg bag, or any bag...
Simon Drake used to produce them.
Using real labels might pose a problem though.
But the ones made for it will work.

Randi
magicvincent
View Profile
New user
Toronto
33 Posts

Profile of magicvincent
I guess it is a personal choice. I do not drink and perform mostly for kids. So I prefer non-alcoholic bottles. My choice is the clear empty coke bottle because you do not have to fuss with labels or liquid or caps and it does look like glass. I was also lucky to be going through a Magic shop's used section and came across a brand new Heinz Vanishing Ketchup bottle. I usually have the bottle change into something else like Mustard then "vanish" it. There are many great ideas on how to present the Vanishing bottles. I thought the effect was overdone. However, it still gets a good reaction and I enjoy performing it!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
I have an empty coke bottle, but it is now discolored and sticky.
Is there any way this can be cleaned, or refurbished?
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2018, magicmonk wrote:
I have an empty coke bottle, but it is now discolored and sticky.
Is there any way this can be cleaned, or refurbished?

I see this question all the time.To answer your question, use lighter fluid to clean the the bottle. After cleaning, store in a a zip lock freezer bag. It is made of vinyl, it should not be left out in the open to collect dirt and dust.
kylefromcanada
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of kylefromcanada
I find non-adhesive static cling vinyl works the best. First use hot water to reform your bottle after a show. Then apply your static vinyl while the bottle still has a few spots of water on it. Looks good as new every time. If you need some cool new labels, check out www.disappearinghotsauce.com
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I guess I am lucky. My clear vanishing coke bottle looks fine. All I do is clean it with armour all and keep it stored in it's original tube in a cool dark place and I have had it for years. Cheers!
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I have the bear bottle and do the same to keep it looking new. Print the copied labels on my inkjet printer, for a one time use, and I am good to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing bottle advice (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL