The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dan Harlan's "Awakening" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
As far as a rope effect, one must choose which. This just doesn't have enough variety to stand on its own for me. Nice novelty move, (yet its an old premise) but I have many other superior rope effects with my own touch and style.
Also, the one exposure move is hard to take and then do anything else. I contacted Dan with a continuation from that point which he said he knew about but elected not to do.
The real problem is that it is predicated on the audience knowledge of the standard PN. Nice lecture piece, but definitely not a stand-a-lone effect for a pro.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I don't use the exposure bit in my routine; I felt it was a bit much. I also only do the move twice. I don't think a knowledge of PN is necessary - what's magical is that I was holding three ropes of different lengths, and am instantly holding three ropes of the same length. It's that visual transformation that has gotten great reactions for me - and I have only performed this for laymen so far. I'm doing it for a group of magicians here at the end of the month, and I think their reaction will be different in that they think they know what's coming, but the comments I've gotten from laymen have been more than positive. I can see why Dan does the change so many times in his routine - it's difficult not to. I've had people ask me to do it over and over again (which I don't do.) My patter also involves how I got started doing magic, and this is the perfect effect to illustrate it. I've found it to be a beautiful piece to introduce my act with (even with the handling issues I was having.)

I'm no "pro" but I wouldn't say it's "definitely" not a stand alone effect. I think that's up to the performer. I've seen ten minute rope routines that bore me to tears. For my money, this is a great piece.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
@Andrew,

You can have the "long rope" in your right jacket pocket, and the short and medium ropes in the left. After shaking hands with the MC, casually reach into your pockets and retrieve the ropes. You can have the "long rope" set up so it is very smooth to do this. Then do a couple or three transformations, short-middle-long to 3-equal and back, and put the ropes back in your pocket. I don't think that audiences need to be at all knowledgeable about the PN routine to appreciate it, even without that business, and certainly without the near-faux-exposure-manqué, I think this is a very strong, very visual effect.

Woland
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 08:55, Andrewzuber wrote:
I too agree that it appears repetitive and it wouldn't fit my style to do it as many times as Dan does it in his routine, however I also don't use other people's presentations, and prefer to come up with my own. I've come up with one that I find rather humorous (of course I'm biased) that works so well with these ropes, it's like they were meant to be together.

That said, this is a fantastic purchase and I'm shocked that it was only $20. As Woland said, you often get crummy directions and unclear pictures, but it's obvious that time and thought went into this, and I went so far as to email Dan to thank him for that when it showed up. If you're worried about repetition, this effect won't let you down...just use a little creative storytelling and you'll have yourself a beautiful routine. Dan also explains several variations of how to go through the transformations so that you're not doing the exact same moves each time.

Again, I can't recommend this enough...and it's so easy to do that you almost feel guilty when it looks so good in your own hands.

I Pm'd you with the extra move Dan and I discussed.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Before Awaking was ever released by Dan he performed it in my back yard during a summer cookout. My wife, who does not care for rope magic, loved it. She asked Dan a few times to repeat the trick she just could not get enough of how the transformation took place. Mind you my wife has been married to me for 25 years and gets how most tricks are performed, she was floored with this.

Not a stand alone effect for a pro ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? That is a matter of taste and style; and ones ability to mode it into something more then you can do with some everyday ropes. It is just as much a stand alone effect as any other PN type of effect.

Is it a stand alone effect to perform to magicians in a contest? NO, because magicians like things drawn way out. However I don’t make money performing for magicians I do that for fun.

With that said, using the current script is just fine however if you feel it is not standing on its own as an effect then you really need to watch the reactions of your audience and re-script it to make it fit your style more.

For me I get bored to death watching rope tricks that goes on and on. In the case of the awakening the magic is so strong that it bears repeating to the audience so they can see the magic you just performed with rope again. The reason is because most if not all cant believe their own eyes the first time. The instant change at the end I feel is the topper to the routine and should not be skipped.

Having the ropes in your pocket the way Woland described is just how Dan did it for me the first time. I too have done this with them in my paints pocket the key is using both right and left pocket to organize everything.

-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Its only that great, if you are starving for new material. Your enthusiasm for it is what the audience reacts to. I can get a gasp and great reaction with a vanishing knot. I still say its a great puzzle, repetitive, but its not the holy grail of rope tricks. It is, novel.
My problem, is, that if you are a rope technician, it (the transposition move) is also NOT a new effect. It also does not allow you much freedom to expand as you are fairly locked in to it. (although I personally could do a half hour around it). What Dan has done is make a 3 dimensional puzzle and repeats it until the audience gets it. Give me Whit Hayden's, or Sands work over this any time. The refreshing part of Awakening is that Dan does not borrow any work from other rope artists.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I wouldn't say I'm starving for new material. I could do hours of material with a single deck of cards - does that mean I should never buys gaffs to create new routines? Never work with coins, or sponge balls? What's wrong with branching out and working on something new?

It may appear "novel" to a magician, but the spectator has no idea how it's done. Call me naive, but I had no idea how this was done before I bought it. That's what I love about magic; the mystery, even as a performer, still exists for me. I also don't think this needs to be "new" to be impressive. Cups and balls moves aren't new but there's nothing wrong with building a routine with them - that's how we advance our performances. If we all did the same routines in the same ways, there'd be no variety out there.

Seems to me there's some bitterness because this is getting good feedback. Shouldn't that be encouraged? I'm not calling it the holy grail, nor am I calling it a brand new thing that's never been done before. I'm simply saying it works for me and Dan was a pleasure to deal with, and that's what I care about. Don't discredit the effect it has on audiences - it's a killer. A rope routine doesn't need to be ten minutes long to have a strong impact.

To each his own, I suppose. Arguing opinions about what plays well is pointless; my only concern is with the integrity of the inventor, which I believe Dan has, and my audience reactions, and they've been nothing short of fantastic when it comes to this routine. 'Nuff said.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 9:48am
Woland - thanks for the tip! That's kind of where I was headed but I hadn't worked out the exact details yet, so you pushed me in the right direction.

Floyd - are you referring to the instant change at the very end, where the ropes go from the same length to different lengths? I love that portion and want to figure out a way to incorporate that. As my routine stands right now it doesn't really fit but it's an ongoing process, and that last move is indeed a nice variation and visually stunning.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 09:40, Andrewzuber wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm starving for new material. I could do hours of material with a single deck of cards - does that mean I should never buys gaffs to create new routines? Never work with coins, or sponge balls? What's wrong with branching out and working on something new?

It may appear "novel" to a magician, but the spectator has no idea how it's done. Call me naive, but I had no idea how this was done before I bought it. That's what I love about magic; the mystery, even as a performer, still exists for me. I also don't think this needs to be "new" to be impressive. Cups and balls moves aren't new but there's nothing wrong with building a routine with them - that's how we advance our performances. If we all did the same routines in the same ways, there'd be no variety out there.

Seems to me there's some bitterness because this is getting good feedback. Shouldn't that be encouraged? I'm not calling it the holy grail, nor am I calling it a brand new thing that's never been done before. I'm simply saying it works for me and Dan was a pleasure to deal with, and that's what I care about. Don't discredit the effect it has on audiences - it's a killer. A rope routine doesn't need to be ten minutes long to have a strong impact.

To each his own, I suppose. Arguing opinions about what plays well is pointless; my only concern is with the integrity of the inventor, which I believe Dan has, and my audience reactions, and they've been nothing short of fantastic when it comes to this routine. 'Nuff said.

My "starving" comment wasn't directed at you. I should have listed a quote.
Yes, Dan has integrity, but this effect is not original which is my contention. That is to say, that I have seen the "move" done before, and have even shown it (the rope juxtaposition) in my rope lecture for years. Congratulations on your success with it.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I hadn't seen it prior to Dan's release. Is the method the same, or the move? (Perhaps they are one and the same, I'm not sure.) I just wasn't sure if he had come up with a new way of achieving the same result, or if both the effect and the method were created earlier on?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Others have mentioned that Mr. Harlan's effect could be performed without the gimmick that he has devised. Maybe so, but it would be, I think, much more difficult. The gimmick is ingenious, and makes the handling nearly effortless. I think that makes it very smooth.

Woland
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 09:48, Andrewzuber wrote:
Woland - thanks for the tip! That's kind of where I was headed but I hadn't worked out the exact details yet, so you pushed me in the right direction.

Floyd - are you referring to the instant change at the very end, where the ropes go from the same length to different lengths? I love that portion and want to figure out a way to incorporate that. As my routine stands right now it doesn't really fit but it's an ongoing process, and that last move is indeed a nice variation and visually stunning.

Yes the flash moves at the very end.
You are correct about it being a an ongoing process, take the Awaking and make it your own. It is very strong in your face magic.

Floyd

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 14:37, Woland wrote:
Others have mentioned that Mr. Harlan's effect could be performed without the gimmick that he has devised. Maybe so, but it would be, I think, much more difficult. The gimmick is ingenious, and makes the handling nearly effortless. I think that makes it very smooth.

Woland

When I watched the effect originally, I never saw the need for a gimmick. As I have done the "move" many times as part of a longer routine.
I also watched his effect silently and not distracted by patter.
I have decided that I have been too harsh in my criticism of this effect. The brilliance of the routine is to not to have concern that you have no way in or out of it. While the "moves" have been done as integral parts of other works, the routine makes us look at the "kodak moment" so to speak. The bold handling of the acrobatic movement around the center piece. (I am skirting reference to the method).
The repetition of the moves is also brilliant since you have no choice if you do not incorporate another effect.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 06:45, magicians wrote:

The repetition of the moves is also brilliant since you have no choice if you do not incorporate another effect.

I was doing ok with your post till this point, Would you please elaborate on your statement here.

Floyd

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The routine calls for you to repeat the moves. In doing so, it forces the spectator to see the size difference and dwell on it. Other routines that use the "move", only do so briefly and the impact is lost.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Thanks for the clarification and the PM.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A nice thing about Mr. Harlan's handling is that his repetitions force the participants to confront the transformation without challenging them. They are encouraged to enjoy the magic with him, he is not trying to baffle them or "fool" them.

Woland
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Just performed this as part of an international business strategy presentation for my master's program. It was my first time doing it in a public setting, and though I altered it to fit the presentation, it went over nicely! I love it when you can use magic to spice things up like that.
magicguyri
View Profile
New user
RI
68 Posts

Profile of magicguyri
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 16:26, Woland wrote:
A nice thing about Mr. Harlan's handling is that his repetitions force the participants to confront the transformation without challenging them. They are encouraged to enjoy the magic with him, he is not trying to baffle them or "fool" them.

Woland

I quite agree with Woland. Prof. Nightmare has been a staple of mine, almost to the extent of being my 'signature.' I look forward (read that I am excited) to start using Dan's routine. Bravo...Bravo!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It is a great effect, and on another thread I awarded it my Rope Trick of the Year Award for 2010, no matter what others think (my own private award - don't look for an invitation to the award ceremony). I was so impressed I bought one for Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki as a Christmas present. It was from him that I learned the trick is still in progress and not at all near the end of its evolution. Qua-Fiki came back after some weeks of practice and had converted the gimmick so it could be removed at the end, and then the routine can continue without a gimmicked rope going off in a new direction which I won't reveal (keep an eye on Qua-Fiki). I think that is the hallmark of a great effect. It was true with Hen Fetsch's "Quad-Ropelets" which turned into the Professor's Nightmare, which continued evolving and hasn't showed any signs of stopping even past Dan Harlan's "Awakening." Each "improvement" has led to another.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That sounds great, Professor Spellbinder. I will keep my eyes open for the enhancement when Qua-Fiki decides to publish it.

Woland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dan Harlan's "Awakening" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL