The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best effects with a memorized deck (39 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Histed Heisted has been getting lots of praise. What else is there?
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
For starters:
"Any Card At Any Number" (see Tamariz Versions in "Mnemonica"...)
The classic "Divination" and
"Three Piles" from Mnemonica
Stop Trick with a freely named card (estimation and stud s****ds)
"New Deck Order" (when using a stack like Tamariz's...)
"The Invisible Deck" Mike Close (with a normal deck...)
"The Three Card Location" Steve Ehlers
"Unforgettable" Pit Hartling
"Everybody's Lazy" Simon Aronson
"Mnemonicosis" Juan Tamariz
"Birthday Book" Alex Elmsley, see also Aronson's work
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
There is a great effect in Scams by Ortiz using a memorized deck
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
If you don't have any specific types of effects in mind then I'd suggest reading anything you can by Simon Aronson and Juan Tamariz. I'd highly recommend Mnemonica as it has so much information. Great effects, ways to handle a MD, how to shuffle (and unshuffle) a MD, etc. Just a treasure trove of information.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Joe Riding has (I suppose had)one of the best routines out there.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Check out Darwin Ortiz memo effects, blockbuster concepts.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Past-Present-Future by Simon Aronson. It's in his book Simply Simon, on page 153. I use his idea of a wallet index. I've gotten great spectator reactions with this. Also, Marlo's Miracle with Cards in Ibidem 8 is a great mind reading effect. It has some of the impact of Histed Heisted, but is easier to do.
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
For a good mentalism routine check out Derren Browns lecture.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I LOVE Bill Malone's Hands Off Memory Test. It's the reason I learned the memorized deck. It has all the best features of a mem deck:

Weighing the Cards cut and having the correct number
Telling a Spectator an unseen card they selected and put into their own pocket
Impossibly memorizing a small stack of cards a spectator cut and shuffled, then correctly and directly naming the card they merely thought of within that shuffled packet without fishing.

It's an incredible trick.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
The Birthday Book effect is very hard to top...
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I'm wondering if somebody can tell (before I buy the DVD) me if Bill Malone's "Hands Off Memory Test" is specific to the Aronson stack, or will it work with any stack?

My own mem-deck isn't the Aronson.

Cheers!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Most of the card effects in the "Covert Use of Memory Technique" section of my memory effects list use a memorized deck.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
But does Bill Malone's "Hands off Memory Test" work with any stack, or just the Aronson stack?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 22:24, Artie Fufkin wrote:
But does Bill Malone's "Hands off Memory Test" work with any stack, or just the Aronson stack?

Artie,

First off, welcome to the Café and I hope that you find your stay here both enjoyable and productive.

As to your above question...I don't know about "any stack" but the effect definitely works with any memorized deck stack (like the Aronson Stack or the Tamariz Stack) where you both know each card in order in the memorized deck and you also know the stack number position of each card.

For instance, in the Aronson Stack, you'd have to know that the Jack of Spades is Card #1 and Card #1 is the Jack of Spades. Likewise, the King of Hearts is Card #30 and Card #30 is the King of Hearts.

In other words, it is not good enough to know what cards immediately precedes and follows the King of Hearts, you have to know Stack # positions of all of the cards.

I don't believe that "stacks" like the "Si Stebbins" and the "Eight Kings" stacks would work for this effect. I might be wrong here, but that is what I am recalling about that effect...and those stacks.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Thanks Mike, I do the Joyal stack, so I'm OK to go ahead and pick up Bill's DVD!
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I don't know any besides Bannon's "Dead Rising", I always get fantastic reactions with it! though you technically don't have to memorize it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Past-Present-Future, already mentioned above, is such a perfect trick that if you haven't learned a memorized deck yet, forget your classic pass practice for the next two months, learn the deck and the trick, and be a very happy camper.
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
Ok I just ordered Simon's book after reading these glowing recommendations. Will report back once I have a chance to learn it and test it out.

SPM
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Then don't forget to look up Simon's "Everybody's Lazy", it's another gem. Hope you've ordered "Simply Simon". Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
From all those great effects already mentioned I like the ultimate free handling and mixing of cards in Topsy Turvy best! It's extremely organic and for the face-up/face-down layout of the cards I employ a plot that completely justifies this setup logically!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best effects with a memorized deck (39 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL