The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Anyone work with "Philip and Henry" agency? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I've worked for P&H several times. Finally had to quit accepting bookings through them. They simply do not care a fig about the artists, as long as they are making money. Any problems with a client is passed on to the artist to deal with, even though P&H made the booking and handled the logistics. Never again!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
P & H are VERY VERY CHEAP in paying performers, from what I've heard they are good pay . Yes Henry is a Dummy

I've spoken to Philip on a few occasions, like was said nice guy, shrewd business man.

They can't afford my fees and will send who ever they can get at the cheapest price

so at the bottom end they hurt the industry by sending a $90-$140 show to a $400 - $500 client
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
He has a new name, "Fun Magicians". He does do a lot of advertising in the Yellow Pages and on the internet. Years ago I used to work for him. Not no more.

I have seen an ad by him on his website. A magician can advertise on his website. I did not fall for it. That crazy guy David Castle did fell for it years ago.

We talked about P and H in the following threads too:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I've done shows for P&H for several years now. I just tell him how much the show is worth for me to do, and if we agree on price, I do the show. I usually get close to what I normally charge if I was to book the same kind of show myself. And of the dozens of shows I've done for them, I've never had a problem.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmmm... so that's where you are getting all of your shows from Todd! Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have no objection to paying agency commissions. (I have also owned an agency.)

An agent is NOT a RESELLER! That is a promoter. Agents also do not charge anything in advance for their services. They are only paid a commission for results.

Personal managers represent the act to agents.

Seldom do I find non-professionals who really understand this vocabulary in the beginning.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
Thanks for that info Bob Sanders!

I'd love to learn more about the distinctions between an agent, promoter and personal managers. I think this would be helpful knowledge for a lot of people.

Thanks!
JXD82
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JXD82
I think the "magician training" is for some sort of pre-made show. It kinda sounds like they are promoting the philip and henry brand, and because it is a p&h brand the performer must do a certain p&h type show? Correct me if I'm wrong, or can a performer do their own material and routines.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
One or two inquiry years ago, never booked and never heard from him nor the vent figure again.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 18:43, MrGreggy wrote:
Thanks for that info Bob Sanders!

I'd love to learn more about the distinctions between an agent, promoter and personal managers. I think this would be helpful knowledge for a lot of people.

Thanks!

Greg,
Perhaps we should have a clinic on this October 2011 at the next Magicians' Flea Market at the ranch.

Here is the site. Of course, it's free!

http://magicvalleymagic.com/

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Join us!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JDS
View Profile
New user
Florida & North Carolina
5 Posts

Profile of JDS
Any suggestions on finding a good booking agent?
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Obviously google is your friend. You can also try looking up local talent agencies in your area. It's tough when there aren't many...

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I have the same sentiment as some who have already posted here. P&H is always low-balling on price and I guess what I equally don't care for is the fact that they try to pressure you into taking a gig that you clearly don't want to do for what they are offering. And when you say "no thanks" they start in with trying to get you to rationalize taking their low-ball offer and saying things that don't really seem to add up after you hang up and have a minute to think about it. They just called me and offered me $1000 for an illusion show for 400 people in Laramie, WY (a 5 hour drive RT) then laid on the rationale that again, didn't really sound that convincing. Either they are selling illusion shows dirt cheap or taking way too much commission.

The few gigs I have worked with them made me feel like I need to "take a bath" afterwards.

I assume that the folks at P&H might read these threads from time to time, and if so I guess they can consider this my "resignation letter".
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Last time he called me there was silence when I quoted my fee. He can find about 100 here who will be happy to work for those fees.
JoeBrogie
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of JoeBrogie
I just had a 20 minute conversation with P&H. They wanted me to do a mentalism show in a city near me. I told them I would at least be charging $800. They tried to talk me down to 500. After a while, I finally got him to tell me how much they would be making for the show, and he told me they would probably charge around $2000. I told him I was more than uncomfortable with them making that much outrageous commission. Insane.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
My experience echos what many have already talked about.

They called me a few months ago, asking if I would do a birthday show for $100. I told them no. The guy then asked if I would do it for free, as a sort of trial! I told him if he could guarantee me 15 bookings per month, in a written contract, I would reduce my fee to $225/show. He said that was way too much.

Visit their website, fill out their form, get a quote. I found they charge a minimum of $297 for a kids birthday party...and he wouldn't book me because I wouldn't do it at $100! These guys are making TONS of money off the little guys they hire to go out and perform for them.

Their contact said there was another magician in my area who was their "go to" magician. Apparently, he was busy that day. It made me feel really sorry for the guy, he's out there working his tail off, taking all the $100 gigs he can, all while a third party siphons off most of the money and he relinquishes control of his bookings. Sad.

I highly recommend avoiding Philip and Henry (funamgicians.com) If you're desperate enough to take gigs from them, do yourself a favor and invest some time in your own business, making yourself more marketable and making your show better. You'll charge twice as much at least (literally!) for the same show, which means you won't burn out and you'll be happier!

More and more magicians are finding out that it's not worth working for Philip and Henry. Yes, they pay a lot for adwords, but in the end, they're going to go downhill fast because fewer and fewer decent entertainers are willing to work for them. This means they're settling for less. Again, sad.

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"they're going to go downhill fast"

They have already been in the business for DECADES! There will always be someone willing to take them up on their offers.

Blair
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
This was a good warning, as I'm looking into agents and such. I would assume from posts I've read that 10-20% seems like an average cut. But for the agency to make almost 3 times what the performer makes? That's just dirty.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
I worked for him one time. Got paid on time. No problems whatsoever.
"Don't run with those..."
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
The problem isn't with getting paid, it's about what the PAY is!! Even FULLTIME pros work for P&H. If you want to discourage this kind of business don't work for them. But, as Blair said he's always willing to take them up on their offers.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Anyone work with "Philip and Henry" agency? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL