The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L&L DVDs - urgent revamp required (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
Have L&L magic videos lost their way?
They used to be the pioneers in this field.
Over the years they have clearly attracted some of the best performers and they have released strong material.
But the production values and the graphics and the musical interludes and the studio interaction all seem rather dated.
It's all rather naff, as the English might say.
Are L&L stuck in their ways? Have they been left behind by the new generation of magic visualisers?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
L&L just sent out an email annoucing a new DVD set from Darwin Ortiz shot in HD. From what I can tell they gone back and reshot many of Darwin's classic Routines.
It will be interesting to see if they approach this production in a different way.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I reviewed DVD's and other items for MUM for four or five years. I quit last summer, not because of the quality of the DVD's, but because of the way the staff handled my last review.

I found that 98% of what you call the new generation of magic visualizers were producing crap videos. As a reviewer, I want to see new material done well, or classics done in a new way. The graphics are of less interest to me than most of the other parts of the DVD. As long as I can access the material well, that's fine.

Much of the live interaction on new DVD's has appeared sloppy and the presentations lack quality.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I agree with the original poster. L&L (and, I'd argue, Reel Magic) are in urgent need of a design intervention. It wouldn't take much for someone to design better interstitials and come up with better music. As for the new generation, I think the Buck Twins are the ones doing stylish, contemporary productions that also do a good job of presenting the magic.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
I think part of the problem is that most of those greats who are interested have already made instructional materials in years past and at this point the real working pros I'd like to learn from have never made instructional dvds and probably never will.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 20:36, bugjack wrote:
I agree with the original poster. L&L (and, I'd argue, Reel Magic) are in urgent need of a design intervention. It wouldn't take much for someone to design better interstitials and come up with better music. As for the new generation, I think the Buck Twins are the ones doing stylish, contemporary productions that also do a good job of presenting the magic.

I must agree with you. Surely, I am not a skilled magician at any level. However, I just cant stop buying some items from these young guys. Sometimes I feel confessed When I look at the system DVD(oh, also the cradle to grave DVD) What's the reason for buying this flourish DVD? Maybe Just because they present it too well. and you can never find the same on L&L DVD.
L&L always brings out excellent DVD. However, new generation just think they are bored. I wish L&L can cooperate with some young magician and film the DVD in new and fresh style. mega sales don't always helps.
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
Nowadays they are giving away the store, so its all good!!!

BTW I like that style, most of them give their takes on the classics
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
These learning DVD from L&L Pub. is not intended to be a movie you can enjoy, they are for learning, not just watching. All that fancy music and graphic just confuse and interupt the learning process.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
L+L had a major dip in quality around 2005/2006 from memory. Their DVD title screens started looking like they were made using free DVD authoring software they downloaded from the Internet. Great pity.

RSVP Magic in the UK have been the top magic DVD company for several years now.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I won't disagree that L&L's production style seems dated, but at the end of the day the picture quality is generally sharp, the right angles are coverd, the performers are properly lit and the sound is well done. While you may not care for L&L's style, they do a better job then.

If you want to know what's dated, the whole hand held shakey camera, shoot it on a street with bunch of screaming and drunk people and edit it to a hard driving beat and a million cuts. Now that's Dated.

I don't know about you, but I've gotten tired of buying one to many DVDs that are poorly shot and poorly lit. The music too hot and you have hard time understanding what's being said. Where the performer clearly hasn't taken the time to rehearse his material and has no idea how to presented on camera. Production values are important and we all need to care.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
While it is good to have a DVD that you can get around in and find what you want, all the bells and whistles and production values are worthless if the material isn't any good or well explained. Very often with books or dvd's reviewers talk about production values, etc, but when asked about content, there's very little info. A while ago everyone was writing about a book I was interested in and talking about the great binding and cover. I asked about the routines and there wasn't one reply.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Tom,

I find just the opposite. Reviewers don't talk enough about the production elements of a DVD.
They don't understand what production values are.

Yes, the material is important, but these are instructional DVDs and the production of needs to be done correctly.
Great material is worthless if the performer isn't lit correctly and you can't see what you need to.
Great material is worthless if the performer material isn't shot from the right angles need to learn it.
Great material is worthless if the musics too hot and you can't concentrate on what the performers saying.
Great material is worthless if the material isn't presented in an understandable way.

Production values cover a wide variety of things and they're the things that make for a well done instructional video.
– Karl Germain
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I really liked the layout and feel of Syd Segals dvd through Dan and Dave. Simple and elegant without false enthusiasm...

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
When it comes to cutting edge production and stylized camera work mixed with cutting edge sleight-of-hand and a stylized prsentation of magic, I found Homer Liawag's "Coin One" from a few years back to be a perfect mix.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
... L+L need to do a new DVD just with David and Jon.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I think they should keep the format they have, it's nice that there is one company out there that does things differently than the rest.
P3
practice practice perform.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 20:36, bugjack wrote:

Reel Magic? Seriously, it doesn't need anything to change, that is just silly. As far as L&L, if the material is good, it doesn't matter how it is shot. I always here that this company is doing this or that, but L&L is still getting it done.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-14 21:28, asherfox wrote:

I must agree with you. Surely, I am not a skilled magician at any level. However, I just cant stop buying some items from these young guys. Sometimes I feel confessed When I look at the system DVD(oh, also the cradle to grave DVD) What's the reason for buying this flourish DVD? Maybe Just because they present it too well.

I don't think there is any substance to these videos, it is just a bunch of "special effects." Anyone can sing good with a mixing board attached. I prefer no "special effects".
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-24 18:59, Scott Fridinger wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 21:28, asherfox wrote:

I must agree with you. Surely, I am not a skilled magician at any level. However, I just cant stop buying some items from these young guys. Sometimes I feel confessed When I look at the system DVD(oh, also the cradle to grave DVD) What's the reason for buying this flourish DVD? Maybe Just because they present it too well.

I don't think there is any substance to these videos, it is just a bunch of "special effects." Anyone can sing good with a mixing board attached. I prefer no "special effects".

Let me correct myself, the material may be good, I don't think the extra stuff in the videos make it better.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
[quote]On 2011-01-25 17:58, Scott Fridinger wrote:
[quote]On 2011-01-24 18:59, Scott Fridinger wrote:

if you are talking abt the extra stuff in system, I am sorry that I cant agree with you. I must say the extra stuff in the video really make the DVD much better.
Put the DVD into your computer or just Check out the Pasteboard animations, you will see wt I mean.

If you are talking abt editing, I cannot agree with you. This is the only reason I bought the DVD. Frankly speaking, the way they taught the material is really bad, however, It just look cool in the way they present it.

If the "substance" is referred to the teaching method, I must agree with you. I don't think there is any substance to these videos.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L&L DVDs - urgent revamp required (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL