The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books/Pamphlets/Notes » » Card Conspiracy Vol.1 by Peter Duffie & Robin Robertson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
When the average person thinks about the country of Scotland, most invision old castles, hills of green grass and the sounds of traditional Celtic music emerging from the many age old drinking pubs which are scattered throughout the land. Smile

For practioners of the pasteboards however, the mention of this ancient land will most likely bring to mind the magical works of such well known names as Roy Walton, Paul Wilson and the ever creative Peter Duffie. Smile

When I heard Peter was releasing a new book, I became very excited and could hardly wait to see what he had put together. Well, the book was released, I received a copy, and have spent some time reading and trying out many of the wonderful creations found inside.
The following are a few of my findings... enjoy. Smile
-----------------------------------

Card Conspiracy Vol.1 by Peter Duffie & Robin Robertson
---------------oOo-----------------

FROM THE PREFACE:
"Each chapter revolves around a central move (or a concept, principle, or subtlety). The chapters are arranged alphabetically, and each begins with a description of the move. Though our tricks emerged in these natural groupings, often a move from one section finds its way into a trick in another section. So, if you encounter a move you haven't heard of yet, just flip to that chapter, where you'll find a description at the beginning of the chapter. This is a compromise to avoid describing moves multiple times throughout the book. When we mention a move that doesn't deserve a chapter of its own, we've tried to describe it the first time it appears in the book, and reference it later.
We haven't bothered to describe moves that all card magicians know, such as the Elmsley Count or the Vernon Add-on.

----------------------------------------

The above should give you a good idea of the style and philosophy that Peter and Robin used while producing this worthwhile work.
Their latest creation measures in at 8 1/2 x 11, is comb-bound and has 119 pages with 12 chapters containing over 40 effects using nothing more then a regular pack of cards (there is even one chapter devoted entirely to fake or unusual cards). Each move/effect is well explained and includes illustrations by Joseph K. Schmidt to assist you in the learning process.

Apparently this book is a result of Peter and Robin spending many hours e-mailing each other with ideas and/or thoughts on effects and handlings using specific moves or sleights. (before the internet, this type of sessioning was normally reserved for closed doors meetings at conventions and such).

Some of the moves addressed include the Biddle Force, Concealed Allerton Control, Final Control, Cut Force, Daley's Delight Switch, Daryl's Diminishing Count, Double Deal Turn-Over, and others, while at the same time exploring the Gilbreath Principle, Gemini Count and the Hummer Principle.

While a few of these moves may be all too familiar, I predict there will be one or two that may actually surprise you. Further, in many cases Duffie and Robertson have taken the time to either simplify a particular handling, or at the very least have provided an alternative approach to traveling down roads previously thought too rough to travel. Smile

Yet, the greatest strength of this work lay not in the moves themselves, but in the effects that these two creative minds have forged together through cyberspace. Even when an effect is based on the works of another, Peter and Robin have managed to find clever and unique variations that open the doors to yet even more possibilities. Smile

Among the many good effects, I especially enjoyed Beastly Assembly (an instant assembly of four Kings with a surprise kicker to end with) and I'm thinking of a Card (the spectator finds a card that you're only thinking of. When he doubts you, you go farther and farther to prove it to him). Great stuff says I. Smile

I would venture to say that most of the material within these pages is best suited for the intermediate to advanced card worker, though energetic neophytes might do well to study the thinking and logic that Peter and Robin have put into this very special offering. Smile

What more can I say? Great material from a couple great magical thinkers. I like it and recommend anyone who is really into cards to consider adding this work to your personal library. Smile

My rating:

Suggested retail: $29.95
Available at your favorite dealer

You can contact Peter Duffie directly at: conjuring@blueyonder.co.uk or you may contact Robin Robertson directly at: rrobertson@pacbell.net

You can also purchase directly from Peter Duffie Click here for more info
Or from Robin Robertson Click here!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books/Pamphlets/Notes » » Card Conspiracy Vol.1 by Peter Duffie & Robin Robertson » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL