The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » [Videos] In case you need one... (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..28~29~30 [Next]
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
@Slim

It's possible to deal deuces without mechanic's grip, moving and lifting the thumb but let's be honest, it's kinda hard to do. I can do it, but it's not very good. I'll show it some day if you want.

I can deal seconds with two other grips also but again, it's not very good. Maybe I'll post that.

Thanks for your comments.

PS: I extended to 100 views in total, don't moan!
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
Go fast and see this marvel.
JJS
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Real enjoyed it Arnold! Welcome back, great technique and I like the subtle nature of the deal.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
@AMcD
Thanks, I get the idea. Sure, it would be nice to see other grips. I mean, once there, the idea, to me, is to see what also can be done with other techniques (i.e. grips, etc). I know purely in a game you only need one grip but to study, it's great.

Anyway, thanks again for the video and answers.

Slim
JFX
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of JFX
Looks great. No idea how you can do the push off from that grip

Thanks a lot for sharing this
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2014, JFX wrote:
[...] No idea how you can do the push off from that grip [...]

Well, for sure, this one can't be done overnight, it requires a long practice Smile.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
OK, now the Stevens' control, how it should be done!

http://www.arnoldmcdonald.org/code/main.php?p=6200000

In "Cheating (technique)", select "Stevens' Control". (66 views allowed).

Comments/questions welcome.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
Ok, WOW!
At the risk of looking like a real zero, that was something!! I usually study or I am able to do part of what you do (in some way at least) but this very nice!
I had to take a look back to see what it was about!

Slim
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I look like a bit angry in that video Smile. It was shot in order to show to a fellow Magician how this control is done. The guy showed me his version and... I exploded. I like Magicians, I have dozen of Magicians as friends but their techniques are very often very very poor. 10 seconds setup, ultra-slow motion, no "invisibility". So I grabbed a deck, and said "Watch!" lol.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but looking forward to it. I've missed the videos Arnold Smile
Vargas
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of Vargas
Very nice, as always Arnold !

Thank you for it !!
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
That jog is mighty fine,looks great to me! I'll have to keep practicing Arnold. Great technique.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Thanks guys.

Yep the jog is tiny here but even doubled in size it's still OK. I really was quite on my nerves while shooting this one Smile. The Stevens' control demonstrated by the guy lasted like 10''...
vindar
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
62 Posts

Profile of vindar
Great video, thanks!
Julieeng
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Julieeng
Hi guys, while working on our Erdnase project, Card Table Artifice for Luminato (see our Magicana website for more detail) we came across this thread. I work with David Ben and as many of you know, David has more than a passing interest in Dad Stevens. He found the AMcD posting and was particularly interested in this thread with the video of the Stevens Control.

David (who is not a member of the Café) asked me to say for him,

"With no disrespect to Arnold, it appears that he is working off the description as per Karl Fulves which, I believe is incorrect. That description was based on a reconstruction by Braue, and those notes ended up in Fulves' hands, courtesy of the late Jeff Busby.

Here are some videos using, what I believe is a more accurate representation of the technique.

Like Arnold, it was just put together a bit hastily today, but you'll get the idea. Hope you find them interesting."

VIDEO LINK: http://davidben.com/stevens-control-demo/
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
That's very nice of David (and yourself)! Thanks for those videos.

Given that David believes Karl Fulves' version is incorrect, what is the definitive source for this control?

I recall from somewhere else that David is/was writing a book on Dad Stevens. Do you have any news or updates to share about it?

Thanks again for popping in, it's always nice to see unexpected faces around here!
Julieeng
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Julieeng
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I bribed David with lunch and got this: “The best description of the move which sadly, has been in plain sight since the early 60s"....

If you send more lunch money, maybe we can get more! Smile
Julieeng
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Julieeng
I must give him cheeseburgers more often... I got more for you, splice:

"....in Dai Vernon’s More Inner Secrets of Card Magic, page 55, ‘To bring cards to the top'."
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Hi,

Usually, when David has something to tell me, he sends an email, I'm really surprised he didn't behave like so this time Smile. Anyway.

The technique he shows, I know it. But I don't use it because the discrepancies too visible (for me!):

- When he adds 2 cards on top;
- And above all, during the last "riffle".

That said, he does it very well.

Thanks for the videos!
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Julie,

I've got the same question as splice.

When is David's book on the Stevens Control coming out?

Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » [Videos] In case you need one... (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL