The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » German Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
This guy is funny and I don't understand a word he says. The magic truly transcends all language barriers for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qWIvPZc1M

Sehr gut!

KG
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Except for the nonconvincing wand through cup bottom and cup through cup moves this is an excellent example of creative routining. I like it.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's even funnier if you understand German. His speech is in a parody of a Schwabian dialect. Dünnbier is German for "thin beer." His real name is Peter Leonhard. He is also a ventriloquist and trade show magician.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 03:54, Magic Researcher wrote:
Except for the nonconvincing wand through cup bottom and cup through cup moves this is an excellent example of creative routining. I like it.
MR

Nice find Kent. I thought his wand through cup was unconvincing but thought his cup through cup was fine. Although, if you were to see his routine another day his wand through cup might be just fine too. This is sometimes a chance you take when filming before a live audience. Those little white balls sure showed up nice. My only criticism, other then my disability in the German language would be with his final loads. They were rather small in relationship to such large cups.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Very engaging personality. Even with the language barrier I found this performance quite entertaining. Another great find. Thanks for sharing this Kent!
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Perhaps Bill can clue us in on what he said when he produced the final loads? Maybe that would provide some insight? I tried to catch it but I'm a bit too out of practice with my German and he spoke fairly quickly...at least for me.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great entertainer and great routine. Nothing wrong with his wand thru cup based on audience reaction. Same with final loads. As Ken Brooke preached Change, not size, is what matters.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
A very entertaining routine. I can only imagine how much funnier it is if I was able to understand German. Thanks for sharing that find, Kent.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
FuManChu
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FuManChu
I found it real amusing and entertaining. It`s funny to hear this Schwabian dialect.

@Andrewzuber: first he says that he got a catapult mechanism in his left pocket what causes the white balls to return under the cups. But when he puts the white balls in his right pocket "That does not work `cause there is no more place under the cup there is a potato". "Under the other cup is also no more place there is another potato". When he reveals the onion he says:" And if you can tell me where the onion came from? ..." The very last words I unfortunately could not understand due to the crowds laughter.

As Pete Biro cites it is the change what matters.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
They did indeed seem to react well to it.

Personally the final loads weren't as impressive to me - I just prefer bigger more visual changes. I think part of it was the fact that they were roughly the same color as the cups, so they didn't stand out as well to me as something like a tomato and a lemon would have.

Thanks for the interpretation! I like the catapult bit (though I get uncomfortable when a performer leaves his hand in his pocket for too long like that...perhaps I'm over thinking it.)
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Schwabian dialect is very difficult for me to understand. I have enough trouble with real Bayrisch! Smile

The Schwabians have a saying -- "We can do anything except speak High German."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I loved it! Couldn't understand a word but he's very engaging and it's easy enough to follow what's going on. Tanks for sharing!
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Overall, a great performance! Makes me wish that my Grandmother had spoken more German, but she only spoke it when she was angry. Thus my smattering is not fit for public consumption.

If you are going to do a wand thru the cup, however, do not stop mid penetration! <That didn't come out right.> A flash is all that is neded. Too good of a look and it allows the eye to see the depth discrepancy.

The final loads were a bit underwhelming. I wasn't sure at first if they were potatoes or eggs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » German Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL