The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Rapping Hand... (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Hi all,

If you see my other posts from today - You will see that I am diving into the subject of Eugene Burgers Spirit Theater. In his book I am intrigued with the Rapping Hand effect.

Does anyone here perform the effect or has anyone seen the effect performed recently? I would love to see some footage of it on youtube.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Here are two quick links to versions currently being sold...I assume there are more.

http://www.tabmantables.com/hofzinserhand.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5fjUFqbAGY
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Eddie, The tabmantables product is amazing! do you know anyone who has one?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
All hands on deck.

I own both versions of Hofzinsers hand and it is hands-on a very nice product.
Operates like Thayer's Rapping Hand.

I also own Lucy from OutLaw. She is a bit more hands-off. An elegant gal indeed.
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/gold......ucy.html
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I'm lucky to have bought when they were first released and both of the Tabman hands in their original "first' editions.
I liked them a lot, affordable and not to large so they travel well.

Magically, Walt
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I like the idea that is in the book 'The Dark Waltz' where you place a womens glove on the table.

Ray
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Ray Witkowski does great work. The Tabman hands are very easy to use and got me out of a tight bind when the spirit bell failed two seasons ago. We also used the Hofsinzer version for some television work because it looks so good.

Chris
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Hey Walt or Chris,

Do either of you have video of you doing the effect? All I have to go on is to "visualize" the effect.

Do you put the hand on a OUJIA board? Please let me know.

Chris, Killer website.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
We have video footage. I'll see if I can get access to it. (I'm not sure of the status of any of the tv footage at this point.)

The hand rests on a cloth-covered presentation board in both cases. I don't know if Ray does anything more custom with the hand or not, but you may try to contact him directly through the tabman usa website.

Thanks for the props on the website. I'm past due for an update, though, and hopefully will be doing that soon.

Chris
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
I just got off the phone with tabmantables - they seem like really nice people - I will probably get the skeleton hand because it looks wicked. my only concern is there is so much mechanical crap on sale at Walmart at Halloween time - that I am worried that this will come across at one of those.

I am thinking about making the board a OUjia board - like the lovely lucy video- but they said the hand only goes up and down and you have to hold the board to control it - where as the old version was controlled off stage.

Can any one shed some light on this subject.

I am really enjoying the dialog with the Spooky brain trust here - you guys are great!
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
PMed you!

Ray and Debbie are among the best. In addition to items that I own from the line, Ray has also custom-made props for me. Three of his creations are within eyesight as I type this, and the hands (both versions) are in a nice, safe hiding place.

Order with no worries. I couldn't give higher praise for either their service or their attention to detail.

Chris
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The traditional Spirit Hands (such as the classic Thayer now made by Owen Supreme) are not operated off stage.
Nor do they more around the board, they rap for yes and no only.

The classic ones come on a plain wood board,
I like that the Tabman are on a nicely covered felt board and look classy,
the wood tray is nicely made as well.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6476854

I think in a Seance situation the skeleton hand looks more real than the woman's hand,
in either case you need a good strong premise/story and justification for the prop.
The Spirit hand should be used simply and sparely,
if you make a big deal out of it, or use clever electronics it's going to look 'halloween' as you fear.

I do not make videos of my work, as too many magicians see no problem with borrowing presentations,
a friend is currently doing a long run show, and twice guys have showed up with notepads and taken down every word.

Ray is a great guy, he stands behind his work, and he's a solid craftsman.
This piece is far, far less expensive than other models so don't expect a Thayer type outfit.
If you're not thinking of using it in a seance type setting/venue you might need some other prop.

Magically,
Walt
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I like the Skeleton hand !
There is a woman spirit hand on eBay for buy now $44.99 Under Spirit hand magic trick/mentalism/seance...
Probably not what you want, but may be used for something else !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Let us not forget the Higley Monkey Paw alternative...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q__WvxyK7Ts

He also does custom dead hands that can certainly rap!
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Walt,

I absolutely know when I ask for a video how many performers will respond and feel about such a request for a video.

I feel the same way - I guess there just seems to be so many videos out on the web now of people who don't care - that it would be possible that such a video may already be on line.

Again - I really appreciate everyone's input.

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 1:35pm
I found a video of a rapping hand and I would appreciate it if everyone could take a look and tell me if this does the effect justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnMfPKIfOvw
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
I really appreciate you posting this - but that would be the antithesis of what is needed for a Rapping hand effect. CAUTION - NAME DROPPING COMING UP! In a recent phone conversation I had with Eugene Burger, he said that the problem with the Rapping hand today - is that everyone in the crowd is very likely to assume that the rapping hand is a electronic piece of junk that you would buy at Walmart around Halloween - I am not calling the hand by Chuck - junk, BUT it has a pretty mechanical movement.

Eugene also said that a better solution to the rapping hand today would be one made out of glass that is totally transparent - no way there can be any electronics. Francis Willard tells me that when she did the effect with Willard the Wizard, they would lay out a sheet of glass between two chairs and lay the hand on that. Again Transparency.

The Thayer hand is supposed to be pretty cool - again - for the era in which is was performed.

I am looking for, or wanting to develop a Clean and creepy version of this effect that would play strong for today's contemporary audience.

And before I get a response saying, "the trick is more about the story, build up, presentation, etc..." I have read Henning Nelms book - I am aware of all that. I am still looking for a really clean effect.

I consider this a Challenge given to me by Mr. Burger.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Ray and Debbie are top-notch folks. My board wasn't operating properly after a year or so of use. I heard Ray had a table at this year's Magi-Fest in Columbus. Took the board with me, and they took it no questions asked. Repaired it and sent it back a few weeks later.

I will always be loyal to makers like this who have pride in their work.

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 8:20pm
Sean-Paul,
Mr. Burger's insightful comments are right on point as usual. I still think this effect can play incredibly well for the right performer, but given the rapid advance of technology, our audiences are much more likely to stop pronouncing that an effect was done with mirrors, and more likely to say it was done with batteries.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
If the method is obvious and/or the presentation is weak, I would agree.

If the audience is entertained, they are not looking for a method.

If the audience is surprised, they don't care about the method during the moment of surprise.

If the audience's collective mind wanders while counting the number of taps the hand makes during a card prediction, then the magician deserves what he gets.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Worst. Rapping. Hand. Ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isdPDV586gU
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Rapping Hand... (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL