The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Famous Vanishing Bird Cage (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Also, I have used both soft and semi-rigid cages (several different models) for a number of years, and always vanished via left arm. I notice in this video, it is a left arm vanish. However, James Riser says these cages are to be vanished via right arm only. ANybody know what his reasoning is?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On May 4, 2016, Sealegs wrote:
Within this thread, just some of the unfortunately dismissive sounding comments that Bill has written of the video of Rob James showing his original addition of the flash vanish of the Vanishing Birdcage, include:

"Well, we are not going for looks but practically in use in a show"... "I also question his ability to use that flash item.".... "This set up is not practical in real use."... "this holds no value for the real performing world in front of a live audience"

Well Bill, Rob performed this to great effect just 6 nights ago, in front of a live, paying audience, as a part of his featured set at the Drayton Court Theatre in London. Rob was one of the artistes performing at a monthly show held at this venue called, 'Conjuring At Court'.

So Bill, you might want to reassess and indeed hopefully take back what you inaccurately said about it being: "not practical", "not real", a "special effect added to the video", or that it has, "no value for the real performing world in front of a live audience".

It's very telling that someone like Bill, who by all accounts has spent a lot of time working with the vanishing birdcage, literally can't believe his eyes at what Rob has created and thinks it must be some kind of movie special effect. That is actually unwitting praise of the most emphatic and telling kind. Congratulations to Rob!

Bill did give Rob credit for the flash effect.... maybe now he'll also be gracious enough to give him credit for creating something that's actually in Rob's working professional repertoire too? Lets hope so.

I appreciate Bill's helpfulness and contributions on the Café generally and, specifically with regard to the Vanishing Birdcage within this thread.

However it would be have been nice and more to the point, appropriate, if he'd have admitted to the inaccuracies of his dismissive comments of Rob James' video performance of the Vanishing Birdcage. An apology, or at least a correction, when you've been shown to have got it wrong costs nothing and helps to put things right.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Hayre
In America and societies that read from left to right, people glance to their right to follow moving objects easier then glancing to their left. If they glance to their left it's an unwritten law that’s a starting point.

In theatre, the stronger character enters from “audience right" for the same reason.

In the chair suspension or broom suspension the feet should be hanging in the air “audience right” because people’s minds are looking for an anchor or attachment on that side just as they look at the bottom of a book to see where to turn the page, therefore it appears more magical with no support on that side.

So by using your right sleeve the audience looks, for a split second at your left sleeve “audience right” and it helps make the action less noticeable because they can’t see a flash or movement of coat material on that side. To recap: When people look to the right you take advantage of “out of sight, out of mind”
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
In Jim Riser's cages (as in most every cage I have seen) the bar orientation is such that the cage is designed to vanish in the right sleeve. If you look at a vanishing bird cage, it attempts to replicate the look of a genuine cage: with the front and side bars pointing up and down.

If you rotate the cage so that it can work in the left sleeve, the side bars (the ones that are mostly hidden by the left and right hands) now will run parallel to the ground.
In theory, this makes the cage look out of the ordinary and possibly suspicious. As a practical matter, since the side bars are mostly hidden, perhaps that factor doesn't matter as much as we might think. I believe it was Bert Allerton who had the side bars removed entirely!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Alperton did indeed remove the side bars.
Part of the reason for the Right sleeve is the hook up point also.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Allerton did his version of the vanishing bird cage close-up and seated.

The book, The Close-Up Magician, goes into his handling and presentation, as well as other great tricks he did, including the aspirin box, glass through table and more.

HIGHLY recommended. Eugene Burger is a HUGE Bert Allerton fan.

http://www.magicinc.net/closeupmagician.aspx
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Can anybody make suggestions which type of jacket will help vanishing the bird cage?

Which fabric is suitable? Stiffer or softer fabric?
What about the shirt sleeves?
What about the armpit? Should it be wider?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions!
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
You could use the invisible hand for a pull and PROBABLY ditch the cage it in a doctor bag while reaching for something else.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2018, abrell wrote:
Can anybody make suggestions which type of jacket will help vanishing the bird cage?

Which fabric is suitable? Stiffer or softer fabric?
What about the shirt sleeves?
What about the armpit? Should it be wider?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions!

1st you have to tell us what cage you own, before we can suggest anything in clothing. You can post a picture or give a reference to the cage you own.

Then we need to know, what style of dress you want to be while you are performing. Also where will you be performing, Close-Up, Stage, Sidewalk, etc.
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2012, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Did a Google search and found this listing of the birdcage in question. If they have them in stock, this it the best less expensive cage ever made.

http://www.gycklaren.com/en/articles/2.6......e-provan

It has to be old stock, so get it while they have them. I of course inquire before ordering to see they really have them in stock.

Bill would you mind telling me the name of the cage or the name of the creator so that I can varify that the cage you are talking about really is the cage that they sell on the website. Thanck you
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is the one on the 1st page, 1st post I made in this topic.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Speaking of vanishing bird cages....just curious as to whether anyone here has read "The Vanishing Bird Cage Story" in Marshall Brodien's book?

The reason I ask is that, in my opinion, that story is one of the greatest stories in Magic. Plus, Marshall is, and has been, one of my idols for years. I love that guy!!! And I miss him!
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Speaking of idols, one of my favorite parts of "Visions of Wonder" is when Tommy Wonder talks about his vanishing bird cage. He kept saying, "but then there was this problem to solve." He went through something like 5 different steps that he took to improve the trick. It really demonstrated how his mind worked. How he went step by step until he had the perfect illusion.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tommy Wonder took one of the worst designed Vanishing Cages and made it work. I think maybe he saw it as a challenge. The Milson-Worth designed cage was the most problematic of all cages to actually work smoothly.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
I have always loved the Vanishing Bird Cage trick and I have owned everything.

I’m partial to the semi rigid type.

Owen Magic Supreme made a beautiful cage however the newer models were never able to collapse correctly.

Jim Riser’s cage is one of the very nicest however for me I like the regular size over the Baby Lindy. Jim did make the larger size but it’s been so difficult trying to find one.

Well my wish has been fulfilled Daniel Summers was kind enough to sell me the Walter Zaney Blaney prototype. This thing is absolutely beautiful!
The bars are stainless steel and the wires are aluminum. The collapse feature of the cage is perfect!

I am so thrilled!

When Daniel comes to market with the “Collectors Edition” it will include the Walter Zaney Blaney book, the holster, and a velvet lined wood presentation box.

I believe there will be 100 made. My stamp (WZB) is different being the prototype, Daniel told me the font on the production cages will be different.

I’m not 100% sure about cost but I heard in the $2000+ range and in my opinion well worth it!

Thanks Daniel for another great product!

Here is demo video of me vanishing a WZB Cage. So very nice, stable in 1 hand and great collapsible feature. As mentioned before I found the Jim Riser’s Baby Lindy to be equally as great but I personally
like the larger size cage. Oh and I don’t normally
perform in readers but what the heck!

By the way I perform the vanish using my left hand but the cage can vanish using either hand.

www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is my understanding, that Walter Zaney Blaney only had Owen Magic Supreme make his cages. Owen's worked closely with Walter and made all his refinements for Walter. Owen's cages needed a lot of breaking in, they were always "stiff" at first.

I talked with Walter and he told me he only used the standard parachute cord, and gave me his method for easy adjusting knot for different jackets.

A few years back, Encore Magic made the Billy McComb bird cage and brass box, he used in his routines. It sold for $1,500 ,and they did not sell because of the price. Encore, stopped offering them and refused to make any at any price.

Hope you have better luck then Encore Magic.

Walter Blaney never mentioned that he wrote a book. Is the book only on the Cage?
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Daniel Summers is one of the Premier Illusion builders in the world today. He was also extremely close to Walter. These cages are built to Walters specs and Daniel finished them perfectly.
I own Risers and Owens cages, Riser's are awesome however as mentioned I like the full size cage much better than a Baby Lindy. The Owens is nice but the WZB and Risers are better.

The book and other items included are only about the Walter Zaney Blaney birdcage and all of Walters secrets.

100 are being made and more than 1/2 are already spoken for. They will all sell.
www.cesaral.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James P. Riser usually made the full bird cages, Then he made the smaller ones because of customer requesting them.

Owen's is out of business now, so they really have no need to even mention them, they are not in the running any longer.

Jim Riser makes them on his schedule because of how long it takes to make them. I have not heard that he has any scheduled in the near future. So they are mute as well.

Where does a person order the book? What will be the suggested retail price for the book?

Nice that a quality Vanishing Bird Cage will be available to the community once again.

Do you know why aluminum was chosen for the side bars? Kind of a weak metal that has to take a lot of abuse?
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Jim only made a few full size and a few Baby Lindy’s and few ultra lights (all aluminum) and one custom for a friend.
He stopped making any cages several years ago and mentioned he would never make them again.

Although difficult Owens and Risers can be found but expect to pay in the $1500 range for the Risers and $500-600 for the Owens.

There are only 100 packages as mentioned in my original post. No books will be sold separately.
www.cesaral.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Blaney's cage were made by Owen's, Fred Rickard specifically. It was my understanding that he was never entirely happy with Owen's cage made by others as they often were too tight or bound up.
Aluminum is not a weak metal if it is the proper alloy. Polished properly it looks like a chromed bar. The same is true with stainless steel. I believe the aluminum was used in the the rigid cage to help with the weight issue to allow the cage not to drop down in the sleeve as easily. I would add that Martin used aluminum, actually duraluminum (Dural), in his cages and other work. It is easily machined and polished and very strong. It was actually used in constructing dirigibles.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » The Famous Vanishing Bird Cage (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL