The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc's New Q&A (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 07:34, brehan wrote:
Hows the q n a guys??

established methods mixed in with docc's thinking and an interesting use of something you'll have with you...

not saying anymore...not tried it out yet, waiting for the weekend when I have a bit more time...
I've asked to be banned
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Thanks ian please let me know when youve tried it
cheers brehan
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I have most of the Hilford collection and his material is simply fantastic, and then see him in reality, words can't describe how he works a room...3 seconds upon entering a Camden pub, the man had a gaggle of people around him having their palms read, pendulums swung, and minds blown...can't wait to see him in the UK again...at our TM event he did an astonishing bit of business with his system 88 and then a really cool mind reading demo with nothing more than a bowl and some paper...get his stuff and enjoy!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Still working my way through it all, thaumaturgy really stood out to me though...thought it was great...definitely want to road-test it...

and it gave me a potentially useful idea with photos too...
I've asked to be banned
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I bought the package last night.

The Scarlet and Golden Dragon ebooks are AMAZING!!!
There is so much really really good stuff, some I already have, some I don't. Considering the original prices of these things this is an amazing deal. There are several one-on-one Q&A acts, a couple bizarre routines (Swamp waster is one of the opening effects in the bizzarre show I hope to open this year) and so much more. I had E'voque which is "worth it's weight in gold" and I've been curious about "Hey Mr. DJ" for awhile.

To be honest I've been so entranced by the other ebooks that I've only given the Q&A a cursory glance.
The gimmick is very cool and I like the general idea.

Based on the "handwriting" Roxar is an interesting character:
He has a high self image and large goals, but he is tempered by a realistic perspective.
he has a lot of pride and expects to be treated with the respect he deserves.
He is a slow thinker, who likes to learn the first thing first before moving on to the second, he's also very analytical which means he takes even longer in figuring things out, but that's a plus for his routineing.
He has a good attention to detail.
He is a loner and is more comfortable with his cunning schemes and routines than opening up to people.
He plays his cards close to his chest as far as his emotions go.
He's hiding something and doesn't want people to know who he is 'inside'
His past sexual experiences have been disappointing and he has deep seated fears regarding his sexuality and physicality.
He may have a lower body illness and is probably prone to alcoholism.
He seems to have developed the ultimate Q&A and will easily create a new following to overthrow Chandu and take over the world!!!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Just for sake of clarity in this theme. (for recent critics that I receive via a weird blog from a pathological liar).
I rethink this subtle missunderstanding that I have with the eBook/Book thing.
Docc knows that I love his work and for that reason I pay him back the money and already download the 3 eBooks.

So far I read the Q&A idea and looks very nice. Very good idea that shows Docc´s brilliant thinking. Has similarities with 4DT and 40 bucks for 3 eBooks is really a bargain.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Kudos Pablo. I hoped this missunderstanding would work its self out... partially for your sake, as they are really good! Smile I got the book (of the 'E' variety Smile) the other day... really glad I did. So much great info. A real bargain.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2011-03-28 11:46, Paul Shirley wrote:
Kudos Pablo. I hoped this missunderstanding would work its self out... partially for your sake, as they are really good! Smile I got the book (of the 'E' variety Smile) the other day... really glad I did. So much great info. A real bargain.

Hehe.

For new buyers: After your payment, be careful to not close that page. Click in "back to Docc´s Hilford" or something like that and you will find the page in which you can download the eBooks.

The first time that I pay for this work I close the page.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmm... I guess that is why I haven't received them yet - I fired an email to Docc so hopefully I can get the downloads Smile

Amira - how did you get it the second time???
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hey all, I know this is an older thread but I just purchased some of Docc's newer Ebooks and thought I would share some of my thoughts on them. Im going to write up a review for each on as I read them and digest them and also take into account I like to get more ideas to apply to my own work than full routines out of reading material, so I will start with the Scarlet and Golden Dragon duo.

Scarlet Dragon By Docc Hilford

-The Veil Drawn: This is a nice way to do a peek in billet work that can be done in almost every setting I could see me performing in. I liked this idea quite a lot and though it does read a little technically demanding, it seems well worth it is a nice addition to my mentalist tool box.

-Swamp Water: I would love to see Docc perform this piece, it is really bizarre and in the right hands I know could keep an audience on the edge of their seats. The routine itself is a real worker and really well thought out methodology wise and presentation wise. For me what I got out of this little idea is the importance of showmanship and creating a truely engaging story that really hooks an audience in and before the effect even begins, gets their mind spinning. This is great and has many little lessons built into it that are really good to apply to any art form.

-Desire: Another great little routine with many built in lessons, the premise is built around one of humanities greatest gifts/curses, desire. I don't want to say too much, but again there is a really mystical aura to the presentation that turns what some could see as a simple parlor trick into a complete miracle where you ultimately emotional connect with an audience. So far as you may have guessed, I am really enjoying this series.

-In-Nile-Lation: Ok so I have always liked the add a number plot, but I didn't like most of the methologies I have read on it and being not as creative as I would like to be, could not work out a method I liked a lot. This is a very nice little routine and idea, the choice of numbers appears very free and fair and it actually doesn't use the old two odd numbers force which is always a nice touch since I for some reason cannot seem to exicute that force well at all. But anyway it is clean, you don't have to have an add a number pad and what not so for me this is a very nice solution that I think would play better on stage, but as discussed in the book can work essentially anywhere.

-Numerology Card: So I try not to pull out a pack of cards anymore unless I am demonstrating something involving gambling or some form of ESP and I don't really like to use tarrot cards (though lately I am reconsidering after seeing some work with them). This probably plays very well, I just couldn't see myself using it, but at the same time it could for other performers. Another good story involved in the routine though as well though.

-Exchange It: A real no touch serial deviation with a few extras thrown in, this is very nice little routine but the method is a little too much for me as I like to keep things as simple as possible. Some of you out there who read this will love it and some of you will probably not, I personally think it sounds phenomenal but can't get into putting that much prep into everything.

-Hey Mr. DJ: This is the manuscript of the same name reprinted, I had not heard of or seen this routine before, but I honestly really really want to use it. The basis around music and mind reading really makes this sound super commercial and the routine that people will keep talking about as well as get you gigs. I really liked this and am going to start working on changing up some of the methodology and presentation to fit me a little better, but as I said, killer stuff.

The Golden Dragon

-Burn Witch Burn: A very bizarre, but more logical version of bank night. I think this was a really cool update on the classic presentation and as usual with Docc's work, the story behind the routine is what really makes it miraculous.

-Nudie Call: This is a very cute little trick, you could easily adjust the presentation and props to change it up, but once again I try not to bring cards out anymore because I hate being told "do a card trick". I liked this and presentation actually made me LOL, just not my style.

-The Tempest: I like this A LOT, like I honestly would not change anything on this piece except maybe the mixing proceedure. This is a great idea, it reads very very well and I can't even imagine how blown away an audience would be. Loved it and will use it for my walk around coming up, nuff said!

-Thaumaturgy: Ah One of my favorite plots, psychometry, but wait there is more! An audience member does half the work by identifying an object as well as doing a reading?! What madness is this?...very good madness! Ok so basicly, I like this a lot, it is an excellent piece of theatre between you and a spectator, I know what youre thinking, but no stooges are surprisingly involved. This was another great gem that I am going to rework and try adding to my show, I loved this!

-Glass Demons: This routine is really really really interesting and has a story to it also! This is what happens when the liars riddle, Q & A and a very bizarre premise have the craziest night out you can imagine. Goes to say I really liked this one a lot and I will play with this quite a bit, the story presentation again doesn't really fit my style, but this is just too good to pass up.

-Horizontal CT: Alright, so my favorite method hands down right now for the CT is Osterlind's method, its simple, it is sweet and it produces results. This handling though, has a nice advantage because you get an absolutely ENORMOUS hot spot, so this would be perfect for Q & A, for pictures, ect. I am going to add this into my tool box, I just don't know how I will choose to use it just yet...

-E'voque: What a great ending to this collection, so lets face it, it feels like whenever I or another performer uses the magician's choice it looks like crap most of the time...now enter in this handling. Docc has taken all the awkward out of this technique, streamlined it and made it into something you will actually use! This is literally the original manuscript I might add too, so there are lots of little extras and such to keep your mind entertained.

Conclusion: So I paid $40 for the double set and Roxar Q and A which I unfortunately haven't started reading yet, in my opinion a great deal for some tools and routines I know I can use. I was very satasfied and look forward to working these ideas into my acts and coming up with some of my own material based on some of the things that got my mind spinning. The other reviews will be on the way, I just need a break for a bit so I don't completely overload my poor brain from too much Docc Hilford!

-Jake
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Ok everyone, so I read through Roxar's Q and A, have digested it and are ready to share some thoughts on this lovely little book! Roxar's Q and A sounds really nice and I'm sure plays just as well, basicly you have a methodology where the routine appears very pure as the audience see's it, the questions are saftely locked away in envelopes which are numbered and stay that way until you answer the question then pass the envelope back to the participant which I think is a very great position to be in. So far I can see Docc has done a lot of research and thinking on Q and A which is very appearent because he has so many variations and volumes of work on the subject, this is like everyone above me has stated, a very very good way of handling this style of routine. Another satasfied purchase from Mr. Hilford and a freebie at that! This is worth looking into if you want to add something to your current performance or if you are like me and just now starting the research and construction of a Q and A act. I will post up a review of my final purchase, I Married A Monster, probably later today but please share your thoughts and opinions as well if you own any of these volumes.

-Jake
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Http://www.ientertainer.net/store/docc-h......oxars-qa

What's the venue fit for this Roxars Q and A?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc's New Q&A (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL