The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » RUB-A-BAND by Chris Piercy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
RUB-A-BAND by Chris Piercy.

The effect description in the ebook is this.

Effect- The spectator shuffles a deck of cards and places an elastic band around them. They then select and sign a card and slide it into the deck. The deck is then placed into their hands and they find their own card in a surprisingly visual way.

Influence:
Other band effects and David Regal's Pasteboard Massacre.

The setup here doesn't take all that long and has to be done at home, I'd say you'd need about 5 minutes alone and you are set. Mind you there is a pre-setup that needs to be done and then there is a setup that has to be done after you do the effect once. The band needed should be available at Office Depot, I had one lying around. I've been too busy to go ..anywhere. I've given it one test run so I thought I should give you guys my first impressions while I'm available..I believe I was supposed to get raptured at some point, I swear to God I was on the guest list.

The ultimate plus to the effect that makes it worth a go is the fact that you are giving a spectator quite experience in their hands. "weirdness" happens in there hands and ends up revealing their selected card. +

There is a switch utilized for the trick that is justified and given enough detail for a beginner to be able to perform this. +

Other than Rub-A-Band (which is the main contender here) are 3 other effects.

SNEAKY, CHEEKY PEEKY - Utilizes the entire method here for a peek. A great add on to the method for a peek and seems totally fair. +

RUB-A-BANDWICH - A sandwich effect that would play killer. Not only do you find their selected card, but you get the cool RUB revelation in the spectator's hands. I don't know if using odd color jacks is necessary. +

HI-YA - HAHA! So awesomely funny played out in my brain. I'm gonna use this concept for this. You literally cut to their card! +

Pros:
Fun concept
Spectator gets in on the fun (Which I am all about when it comes to magic)
Impossible
Not a whole lot of arts & crafts skills needed (Yay)
Seems fair to the spectators the way it is done

Cons:
Reset cannot be done in front of people
Should probably be done on a table unless you want to play pick up.
A moderate amount of pocket space. Best to have an available jacket pocket.

I tried this out on one of my family get togethers last night and they thoroughly enjoyed it, hope to use it more often.

It's a great effect and definitely would play as a nice closer because of the tiny "mess" at the end. If you like Rus Andrew's "Dexplode" then I think you'll take a liking to Rub-A-Band.

Recommended
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Thanks for the terrific review, I'm really pleased that you like it so much.
The experience from a spectators point of view is like nothing else no matter how many tricks they've seen before, its the unexpected nature of the revelation that gets them!

I will be shooting a demo of this on Wednesday night so hopefully the demo will be available for all to see on Thursday.
If anyone is interested in buying this ebook please send me a PM.

Regards,
Chris
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Here are my thoughts without going over anything said before:

What do you get? The effect is thoroughly explained in a really well produced ebook. There are photos and more than enough descriptions on how to create the effect then how to perform it.
There is a set up, the effect and three variations as mentioned above. Everything plays out as stated and nothing is hidden.

From e-book to e-ffect. I followed the book as written and was ready to go in no time. I felt that everything was provided to enable me to perform this as intended by the author. You shouldn't need to buy anything extra to perform this.

It may take a few minutes to get set up and to be able to handle the effect properly but after that it is really simple.

Parts of the performance could be a little different from what some people have done before but it's really simple and really well explained and really really works, don't be scared.

Sneaky, Cheeky Peeky is actually really useful and could be developed into a real utility move, if I wasn't going to use Rub-a-band I might still use this in some form.

Haven't tried Rub-a-bandwich yet but it reads nicely

Hi-ya! is a super way to perform this really fun and really funny

Will take a bit to reset but that should come as no surprise but can be adapted to most situations and put to good use.

This plays as big as you make it, in the right hands this is definitely one of those effects that people will talk about after you leave, make the most of this when you buy it.

Add a bit of excitement to your card routine, one thing to realise, even people who hire magicians don't always like the amount of card tricks thrown in, this is something they are sure to like!

Thanks a lot Chris, hope this gets the recognition it deserves.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Thanks Adam - I really hope it gets recognised too, it's a fantastically fun effect to perform!
Really appreciate your kind words and support.

For anyone that's interested here's a video demo of me performing this to a friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB57uIYjyV4
This shows the 1st effect in the ebook, 3 other effects are taught in it.

If you're not a fan of the mess then Hi-Ya! is the way to go.

Take it easy everyone,
Chris
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
From a sneak peek thus far, this looks really great!
Very Paul Harris - esque, and very cheeky + quirky!

Chris really is making a BIG name for himself in the world of magic!

Kyle
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Great video Smile

shows how hands off this is too, people will tell their friends about this when they see it performed and when they do, they wont mention that you even were anywhere near the cards
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Cheers again Adam, I'm filming hi-ya! tonight, should be a great laugh!
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Demo of the effect "Hi-Ya!" from the Rub-A-Band ebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70qGpS2hbik

Apologies for the focus, I guess this is what the trick looks like through drunk's eyes
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Chris very new and fresh approach to band and card effects I really like it .
all the best
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
If anyone has bought this and hasn't been able to get hold of suitable bands then get in contact with me, I've got LOADS and for the cost of just the postage I'll send you 6 bands which will be enough to keep you going for a long time with this trick.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
This is a really awesome trick!
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Cheers Kyle!

This is available as an instant download from http://mentalshocks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » RUB-A-BAND by Chris Piercy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL